• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Miami Hurricanes Round 3 - Tuesday noon - ESPN

Pretty bold to point out that every point scored in our game against Miami today was by an underclassman. Brandon is a fucking junior and of course we don’t have seniors as they’ve opted to transfer or play overseas. I hate DM so much. Would rather see us put Randolph in as the interim than have DM come back...

Last edited:
How is it that every point scored in our game against Miami today was by an underclassman? Brandon is a fucking junior. I hate DM so much. Would rather see us put Randolph in as the interim than have DM come back...

Juniors are an underclassman:

un·der·class·man

/ˌəndərˈklasmən/

noun
US

noun: underclassman; plural noun: underclassmen

a student in high school or college who is not a senior.
"one of the talented underclassmen leaving campus life early for the NFL"

oh - I missed that Manning apparently also counts Johnson as an underclassman

you know, grad transfer Johnson

per ESPN:

"I feel I'll be back," Manning said. "I look at the score sheet and everyone that scored is an underclassman. We had some guys that grew a significant amount this year in terms of their growth from the start to the finish, and that's how we want to build it. We build it with our young guys, and we had a really good freshman class come in and got a lot of key contributions from a lot of guys throughout the course of the season."

The "young guys grew" as the season went on thing is bullshit. Hoard, Mucius, and Wright were probably better at the beginning of the season than they were at the end. Especially Hoard - who looked like a promising stud at the beginning of the year but kind of fizzled toward the end, as our "offense" basically ignored him. Based on things that have happened under his tenure, there is no reason to believe that: A. all or even most of the players will even come back to wake for next season, and B. the ones that do come back will look like they have any clue how to play defense or offense - if Manning is the person in charge of the Wake b-ball program.

un·der·class·man

/ˌəndərˈklasmən/

noun
US

Hard to have seniors when players consistently leave the program after a year or two. I wish the follow-up when he says crap like this would be: "Why is it that you don't have any seniors in your 5th season?" Then the follow-up would be: "But why do players keep leaving the program Coach Manning?"

It really doesn't matter whether you hate Danny Manning, and blame him for the troubles this season. This final game is a clear verdict that we did not have the talent to win much in the ACC this season. Early, many of us had hope that players like Hoard, Brown and Sarr had more than enough talent and potential to make the team competitive. But we were wrong. I hope all the players come back no matter who the coach is next year. If all these guys stay together for next season I'd expect improvement individually and as a team. I really appreciated how it felt at the end of the season that the players didn't quit and enjoyed being together. But coaching alone won't guarantee to improve everything these players lack. That's the unfortunate truth.

It really doesn't matter whether you hate Danny Manning, and blame him for the troubles this season. This final game is a clear verdict that we did not have the talent to win much in the ACC this season. Early, many of us had hope that players like Hoard, Brown and Sarr had more than enough talent and potential to make the team competitive. But we were wrong. I hope all the players come back no matter who the coach is next year. If all these guys stay together for next season I'd expect improvement individually and as a team. I really appreciated how it felt at the end of the season that the players didn't quit and enjoyed being together. But coaching alone won't guarantee to improve everything these players lack. That's the unfortunate truth.

We definitely have the talent to be middle of the pack. Look at all the games like today that we could and should have won with even slightly better coaching.

I can't imagine that anyone here "hates" Manning. That would be remarkably juvenile. And we were extremely young. However, you expect to see measurable progress over the course of a season. Our freshmen were essentially sophomores by the end of the season. Yet they were still getting lost on defense and losing contact with their men and they were still taking bad shots on offense or missing wide open looks.

Our AD says he needs to review the program. But by almost every measurement we failed. Except that we seemed to grow in team chemistry and closeness...something that did not happen last season.

I don’t dislike Manning. He seems like a good guy who was in over his head.

But Jeff [Redacted], I really don’t like. From his first coaches show, it was like that.

I like Danny Manning.
He's just not a good basketball coach.
That the program is heading to oblivion under him is completely obvious.
I am envious that he gets paid literally millions to do a job at which his presence seems to be counterproductive.

You gotta be kidding, man. I’m as big of a coach/AD/Team apologist as there is, but The reason there isn’t the talent you speak of is because Manning couldn’t get them to buy into what he’s doing. No reason for Woods, Craw, Mitchell, Doran departures other than they didn’t want to play for the coach and buy into his philosophy. A good coach keeps those guys around and makes a tourney run this year.

Come on man. Danny is a nice guy but in no world is he the guy to sustain success at Wake. That’s been clear for over 3 years.

"Wake Forest is reeling from a remarkable roster turnover from a year ago, an offseason that saw eight players leave the program, all with eligibility remaining. Manning replaced the players with a good recruiting class and is in the picture for one of the top recruits in the country this year."

Danny, you had to play those young guys because of the exodus in your program.

Last edited:
I like Danny Manning.
He's just not a good basketball coach.
That the program is heading to oblivion under him is completely obvious.
I am envious that he gets paid literally millions to do a job at which his presence seems to be counterproductive.

Heading to oblivion?

We arrived there quite a while ago.

Manning to me is at least as standoffish as [Redacted], and [Redacted] was just painfully awkward.

un·der·class·man

/ˌəndərˈklasmən/

noun
US

Yeah, I edited it...right before you provided the definition. Thanks!

For some reason I want to comment about the final game of the season. It was remarkably consistent with the previous 157 games coached by Danny Manning. There was nowhere to hang his hat. That is all.

Unfortunately, Danny Manning was not very good at any aspect of college coaching: not at evaluating talent and recruiting, not at developing players, not at coaching defense, not at coaching rebounding, not at teaching offensive schemes or discipline, not at teaching shooting, not at building teams, not at developing a playing concept, not at keeping players at Wake, not at inspiring teams, not even at talking to the media and the fans. He was the very embodiment of mediocrity and worse.

oh - I missed that Manning apparently also counts Johnson as an underclassman

you know, grad transfer Johnson

Johnson will be able to come back to Wake next year, if he chooses. Technically, I think he's classified as a RS Jr this year.

Back