• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

TW, I think she's saying her sound isn't functioning correctly, except for the system error beep.

So it's either a sound card/mobo issue, or it's turned down/off somewhere she doesn't realize.

Or her speakers are busted.

Ahhhhh, I'm an idiot.

Sound issues can be frustrating to solve. Ask me how I know Facepalm

Yeah dude. Let me know if you ever need anything. I could run up there and pick it up and ship it to you.

Defs will let you know next time I'm upgrading the mobo/processor.

Oh man, I'm looking at custom watercooling parts again. I had a lot of fun doing it in high school, but funds are stricter with this scenario. Facepalm

63woyt.jpg

Quad SLI GTX 580's cooled along with memory, chipset and CPU.

:laugh: wtf cooling your memory overkill.

Actually, it depends on your build, but sometimes memory cooling can be quite a bottleneck when you are trying to keep your latencies low, adding extra voltage and keeping clock speeds on par with your processor.

If I don't go with the Corsair H100, I'd go with this air cooler. It is absolutely massive (seriously, watch the Youtube video.)

If I don't go with the Corsair H100, I'd go with this air cooler. It is absolutely massive (seriously, watch the Youtube video.)

d14a.jpg

Where the eff is his memory? Low profile wouldn't even work there. My core has like less than 1mm of play between it and the memory heat sinks. Where do you normally relocate to when the slots on the mobo are covered?

Where the eff is his memory? Low profile wouldn't even work there. My core has like less than 1mm of play between it and the memory heat sinks. Where do you normally relocate to when the slots on the mobo are covered?

Low profile actually works. You can't use anything with a heat spreader.

TW, I think she's saying her sound isn't functioning correctly, except for the system error beep.

So it's either a sound card/mobo issue, or it's turned down/off somewhere she doesn't realize.

Or her speakers are busted.

Yeah - this. I just said the thing about the keys beeping because I didn't know if that would help identify the issue. Does that beep noise come out of the speakers because if so, the speakers are fine. If not.. I don't know what's wrong.

Nah, that comes out of your on-board/system speaker.

I'd try plugging in another set of speakers if you have any to see if its the set that's dead or an issue with your mobo/soundcard.

Yeah - this. I just said the thing about the keys beeping because I didn't know if that would help identify the issue. Does that beep noise come out of the speakers because if so, the speakers are fine. If not.. I don't know what's wrong.

That beep is probably coming out of your system speaker, not your audio speakers. You have some type of issue with your audio (volume, muting, or hardware failure)

That beep is probably coming out of your system speaker, not your audio speakers. You have some type of issue with your audio (volume, muting, or hardware failure)

I guess it is either stuck on mute or it's a hardware failure. It's a stinkpad (the one class of 2009 got as juniors) so probably the latter :tear:

I guess it is either stuck on mute or it's a hardware failure. It's a stinkpad (the one class of 2009 got as juniors) so probably the latter :tear:

I have that exact thinkpad. Have you tried looking at your audio settings in control panel?

I have that exact thinkpad. Have you tried looking at your audio settings in control panel?

YOU'RE A GENIUS!! Somehow the mute button was checked? Why it do dat?

The green bars showing volume up/down/mute still aren't showing up, though.

Back