• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

would there be anything from it that you think I could salvage? If not, or the parts are unimportant, then I might as well start over.

CD/DVD drive and HDD would probably be the only thing you could salvage. If you computer is that old, it would probably have an AGP graphics card which wouldn't work in a motherboard of today.

You might be able to salvage some cables out of it as well.

You have to remember, though, that I'm planning to wipe the damn thing when I get it, and I play ZERO games. I would use it for Internet, Email, Office Suite, and perhaps Quickbooks if I use it for business. Not much else.

CD/DVD drive and HDD would probably be the only thing you could salvage. If you computer is that old, it would probably have an AGP graphics card which wouldn't work in a motherboard of today.

You might be able to salvage some cables out of it as well.

Which might save a couple $100's? Where would I start (motherboard, CPU, cards, etc.)?

You have to remember, though, that I'm planning to wipe the damn thing when I get it, and I play ZERO games. I would use it for Internet, Email, Office Suite, and perhaps Quickbooks if I use it for business. Not much else.

There are still benefits to building your own computer at that level of use as well. Granted, once you hit a certain performance level, I think the gain in value are greater.

20717757-2-440-front+back-2.gif

Thar she blows.

2eg8m1l.jpg

That is a bare-bones system. Assuming you already have a hard drive, mouse, keyboard and monitor, this would handle almost anything you described above.

You could also upgrade the processor for another $60 - 80. That is probably where you would see the most performance gains as a daily user. I'd also probably suggest buying a new hard drive which might add $100-150 depending on how much storage you want.

There is leeway in whether you want to run discrete graphics, a blu ray drive, and in type of case(one that you think looks nice.)

a3e3cx.jpg

Upgraded model with faster processor and blu-ray drive.

You'll also want to add $100 to both of these for the cost of a Windows 7 home license.

If you don't want to build your computer, you can buy a pre-made Dell for around the same price as the second, upgraded model with about the same specifications(sans Blu ray). This will come with all the bloatware that Dell packages, but also a warranty.

Yeah, in looking over your first list, I'd probably go without the case (~$50), unless I'd have to get a new one...

Yeah, in looking over your first list, I'd probably go without the case (~$50), unless I'd have to get a new one...

I've worked with those same Dell cases before and have had no luck getting a standard motherboard to fit into them, let alone a Micro ATX form factor one(the one I put in the above build.)

If you want to build, you'd definitely need to buy a new case.

You can look through the following link to find one that you like.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07583 600006302&IsNodeId=1&name=ATX Mid Tower

I've worked with those same Dell cases before and have had no luck getting a standard motherboard to fit into them, let alone a Micro ATX form factor one(the one I put in the above build.)

If you want to build, you'd definitely need to buy a new case.

You can look through the following link to find one that you like.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07583 600006302&IsNodeId=1&name=ATX Mid Tower

11-129-092-TS

Def need this one. Think it fits both my personality and the computer held within.

CD Drive and hard drive would be the only things you would salvage.

Back