• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why do we have a women's volleyball team and no softball?

DeacDoug

Reaction score
I assume that somebody (Hooks, Wellman?) made a policy decision a long time ago. I think that students would rather sit aside on a nice day and watch softball rather than indoor volleyball. This would necessitate allocating some land and spending some money to build a softball stadium plus a few more scholarships.

When I was at ESPN Wide World yesterday, I told a high school softball coach that I didn't think Wake had a softball team. He assured me that we did and that I just didn't know about it. Well, we don't. Let's make this change pronto. Alternatively, we could move to outdoor volleyball with women in bikinis. Indoor volleyball is useless and we are no good at it. We might be decent in softball with the right coach.

We have just enough women's sports to be Title IX compliant. In the 80's we stopped carrying women's volleyball as a scholarship sport (club only). Title IX made us bring them back as a scholarship sport.

Indoor volleyball is about a hundred times more exciting than softball. Have you ever been to a match? Non-stop action.

Indoor volleyball is about a hundred times more exciting than softball. Have you ever been to a match? Non-stop action.

I've seen the Olympics - men and women. Scoring a point was a bit difficult in those days because you could only do it on a serve. I believe they've changed the rules so that all points score. Do many people attend the volleyball matches? I doubt that we will ever be any good at it. An on-campus women's softball game on a nice day could attract a significant crowd IMO.

We have just enough women's sports to be Title IX compliant. In the 80's we stopped carrying women's volleyball as a scholarship sport (club only). Title IX made us bring them back as a scholarship sport.

It's all about roster size. Both sports can have 12 schollies split among whomever with most VB teams carrying around 15-18 with 15 per match that dress. Softball can easily have 25 on a squad so that impacts the Title IX ratios.

I've seen the Olympics - men and women. Scoring a point was a bit difficult in those days because you could only do it on a serve. I believe they've changed the rules so that all points score. Do many people attend the volleyball matches? I doubt that we will ever be any good at it. An on-campus women's softball game on a nice day could attract a significant crowd IMO.

Volleyball is rally scoring. It’s way more exciting than softball, IMO. Wake draws pretty good crowds, especially given that they aren’t very good.

College softball is awesome to watch. Very exciting. Can’t argue with the volleyball uniforms though.

DeacDoug, go to a women's volleyball match. If you have a pulse, you will have an answer to your question.

Back