• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

I'm not surprised at KU's view on Manning at all. He let them to a national title. They more than likely view WF as the problem and not Manning.

That said, if all our players come back, including Hoard, this team should be a bubble team, not that I think Manning can lead the team anywhere in March. When Hoard leaves, we'll be back at the bottom of the league.

FIFY :(

At first I thought one of the earlier posters that said Wake basketball was like Kansas football might have a point. Then I saw just how bad Kansas football has been and for how long (8 winning seasons in 40 years), and realized I was wrong.

Furthermore, even if Wake basketball is like Kansas football, Manning sure as hell isn't our Les Miles or even David Beatty. He's some hybrid blend of Turner Gil and Charlie Weis, who got less than 5 years combined. Let's just hope that we don't spend so much money buying him out next year that we end up having to hire our David Beatty, a clearly unqualified coach who only gets the job because he will work for half the money (note - this is also known as a Brian Gregory).

Brian Gregory is 21-12 and coaching USF in the CBI semis tonight.

Brian Gregory is 21-12 and coaching USF in the CBI semis tonight.

Good point. Because a coach can't win in traditionally the toughest conference in college hoop doesn't mean that the coach is unqualified or stupid or lazy.

Before taking the GT job, Gregory won 20+ games at Dayton 5 times in 8 years, and never had a losing season. In 2017-8, he took over a USF program that was in utter disarray (in the three previous years before Gregory took over USF was 9-23 #274, 8-25 #238 and 7-23 #292. In his second year, USF is respectable 21-13 #110. Gregory is not incompetent, but he just couldn't get GT to a competitive level in the ACC. It's not easy.

He basically has the same five year results as Manning at Wake except he improved most years. They got pretty unlucky his second to last year. Top 100 team with 3 ACC wins is brutal. Roughly same average KP and median KP as Manning and Christian (meaning he should’ve been let go).

But yeah he had signs of improvement unlike us or BC.

I don't know why anyone would want to go to Georgia Tech or be in their employ.

Good point. Because a coach can't win in traditionally the toughest conference in college hoop doesn't mean that the coach is unqualified or stupid or lazy.

Before taking the GT job, Gregory won 20+ games at Dayton 5 times in 8 years, and never had a losing season. In 2017-8, he took over a USF program that was in utter disarray (in the three previous years before Gregory took over USF was 9-23 #274, 8-25 #238 and 7-23 #292. In his second year, USF is respectable 21-13 #110. Gregory is not incompetent, but he just couldn't get GT to a competitive level in the ACC. It's not easy.

The whole reason I brought up Gregory is because one of the main reasons he was hired was he would work for a pittance (~$1M per year), and they were still paying off Hewitt. It was the closest parallel I could think of to Beatty at Kansas. He was fine at Dayton, but he wasn't a real standout in the A10. Once they went away from divisions, he only finished above 7th in the conference once (out of 6 tries).

For the Optimistic Man, there are 3 possibilities:

1. Danny Manning is hired to be the new assistant big man coach for the Atlanta Hawks, with Arthur Blank himself personally negotiating(as has been rumored) a sweetheart deal in order to bring home Atlanta’s favorite son.

2. Bill Self is indicted and/or imprisoned and Kansas, looking to minimize the PR damage, hires Danny Manning to rescue the program.

3. Currie walks into the office on May 2, slaps his Bad Muthafucka wallet on the desk, throws Wellman’s nameplate in the trash, calls Manning into his office, and tells him there’s a new sheriff in town and to pack his shit and go.

Atlanta's favorite son?

For the Optimistic Man, there are 3 possibilities:

1. Danny Manning is hired to be the new assistant big man coach for the Atlanta Hawks, with Arthur Blank himself personally negotiating(as has been rumored) a sweetheart deal in order to bring home Atlanta’s favorite son.

2. Bill Self is indicted and/or imprisoned and Kansas, looking to minimize the PR damage, hires Danny Manning to rescue the program.

3. Currie walks into the office on May 2, slaps his Bad Muthafucka wallet on the desk, throws Wellman’s nameplate in the trash, calls Manning into his office, and tells him there’s a new sheriff in town and to pack his shit and go.

Considering that Arthur Blank is not part of Hawks ownership, your #1 has vanishingly small probability

Back