• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What if...

Not really sure your point. No one is saying that Clawson's fair value is not above Manning's. But, we also have reason to believe Manning has an over-generous contract, and Manning is not the appropriate reference point anyway. The appropriate reference point are the three coaches who took over similar situations and had similar results at similar institutions.

Over generous contract? In the annals of understatement that comment/description will live forever.

We can't permit the over-payment of Manning to compromise our compensation of Clawson. And I do believe that winning at WF is more difficult than at any other ACC school. Every other school has a history of being strong in football at some point in the past. Grobe brought Wake to its highest point but did not sustain it long enough to give WF the reputation of being a "football school" even for a brief time.

Nonetheless, what Clawson has been able to do (especially last season with all the injuries) has us trending in that direction hopefully. I believe that he has a sustainable plan for success especially tailored for WF which takes what every other coach has labeled as a liability and uses it as an asset. We need to pay him sufficiently to make it highly desirable to stay. I may be proven wrong but I believe that Clawson is the best "fit" for Wake in my life-time and I am an old guy.

Manning is getting his $18 mil one way or the other. It's not like by keeping him you don't have to pay the $18 mil - it's just that you don't also have to pay another coach. Personally, if budget is such a problem, I'd prefer to buy Manning out and hire a nobody coach for peanuts - either a guy in his 20s or an unheralded D-3 coach. Have to think anyone could do a better job than Manning.

j9389h.jpg

Manning is getting his $18 mil one way or the other. It's not like by keeping him you don't have to pay the $18 mil - it's just that you don't also have to pay another coach. Personally, if budget is such a problem, I'd prefer to buy Manning out and hire a nobody coach for peanuts - either a guy in his 20s or an unheralded D-3 coach. Have to think anyone could do a better job than Manning.

This is false...Wake is NOT on the hook for $18M. He'd have to win a NC to get close to $3m/year. There's no way in hell his buyout is for more than the face value of his contract. This is utter internet bullshit.

This is false...Wake is NOT on the hook for $18M. He'd have to win a NC to get close to $3m/year. There's no way in hell his buyout is for more than the face value of his contract. This is utter internet bullshit.
So, RJ, what is the face value of his contract?

Wake endowment can't be touched for athletics buyouts.

That's a shame since the decision to retain Manning will have negative effects on the future of that endowment far in excess of his buyout cost.

How do we know what the last years of this contract are guaranteed to pay? Can we not assume that the last years are designated to pay more than the present?

That's a shame since the decision to retain Manning will have negative effects on the future of that endowment far in excess of his buyout cost.

We have a winner with this statement. The hundreds of millions lost on the compound growth of lost donations is what Manning is costing Wake. Not his piddly buyout amount.

Back