• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball 2019-20 - KP #100 - #70 Offense / #149 Defense

Was just looking at the stats for the season to date. No reason... Just hadn't looked at them all year.

Some things that jumped out:
* It's not that we suck at shooting 3s (34.8% is #108)... We just don't shoot that many - #319 in 3PA/FGA (30.2% vs. D1 Avg of 37.6%). This has been normal in the Manning era.
* Childress is an abysmal 30.8% from 3 this year (20-65); White has really found his shot (42.2% - 19/45) and Ish is pretty good so far (41.9% - 13/31)
* While I like Neath, he turns the ball over a ton and has been a terrible shooter from everyone on the court, including the FT line
* Sarr has been an elite rebounder this year on both sides of the court
* Mucius is a painful 6-22 from 3 and 5-11 from the line... Small sample size, but he needs to become a better shooter

Of course, a lot of this will change as we get more into conference play... Just thought some of that was worth sharing because I hadn't been paying close attention.

D Man encourages Mucius to shoot. A lot. Or at least doesn't discourage him. Was he considered a shooter in HS? I thought he was more of a slasher.

22 shots in 13 games is not even worth talking about.

Poppa Chill probably still the best pure shooter in the gym. Shooting touch is the last thing to go.

If he had gone 1-for-1 instead of 0-for-1 against Charlotte, we would have won the game #smallersamplesize

OMG, it was only his ONE shot that we missed. Obviously, it was HIS miss that cost us the game.

WOW!!!

So let's talk about it then. He is essentially taking 1.5 3s a game and making one every two games. Not good.

Mucius' problem is he's rushing his 3s. I think he hit two or three in our first game of the season and he has sucked since. I think he hit one against Pitt that looked good coming out of his hands, but between those games (11 games), he seems to anticipate the pass and the shot he's going to take and he rushes things too much. His form looks good. He just needs to calm down.

If you compare Mucius' shot to Massoud's, you can tell that Massoud actively attempts to perform the exact same rhythm for every 3-point shot. Mucius doesn't and I am not sure why. I bet from catch to release Massoud shoots the ball at exactly the same moment shot after shot - to a 1/10th of a second. Can't say the same for Mucius. Maybe his arms are just too damn long to do it. He reminds me of former LA Clipper, Darius Miles ...

Massoud is a very good shooter and may become an elite shooter. Mucius can be a little bit above average. Could part of the problem be that Mucius has played more and gotten the ball a lot less due to our PGs looking at him as a last option rather a first option like Massoud?

If Mucius makes his next two FTs, he'll be 7-13 vs. Massoud's 8-13.

It's way too soon to make any determination about Mucius' shooting.

Agree... But those are the numbers from 3. We've seen nothing from him in nearly 2 years that shows he is a consistent 3-point threat. Last year, he was 19-81 from 3 (23.5%).

Also, from inside the arc he's only shooting 41.5% (34-82)... Last year was 37% (51-138).

There is a lot of evidence that he is not currently a good shooter.... This is made worse by the fact that he puts up a higher % of shots when he's on the floor than any other player on our team (including Childress).

I like Mucius a lot... I think he has a unique skill set that we don't often see at Wake Forest. But he has not been good (at least not on offense).

Massoud is a very good shooter and may become an elite shooter. Mucius can be a little bit above average. Could part of the problem be that Mucius has played more and gotten the ball a lot less due to our PGs looking at him as a last option rather a first option like Massoud?

If Mucius makes his next two FTs, he'll be 7-13 vs. Massoud's 8-13.

A lot to unpack here...

Somehow you know that Massoud is already a very good shooter, but you need more time on Mucius? Massoud has barely played this year. From 3, he is 13-31 (41.9%) - GOOD! From 2, he is 4-13 (30.8%) - NOT GOOD! I think Massoud will be a very good shooter and player for us, but he's still largely a mystery.

If Mucius makes his next two FTs, he'll be 7-13. Yes, this is true. It's also still not good. He was 43-70 from the line last year (61.4%), which is not good. Massound at 8-13 (61.5%) is also not very good so far.

Overall, our team's shooting has been terrible this year... 220th in Effective FG% and 270th(!) in 2-point shooting %. The only thing that is saving us is the ability to get to the line. We've seen this every year with Manning, so it's clearly how he wants to play. Paint touches and getting to the line. He doesn't give a shit about designing an offense that generates good shots and open 3s. That's a problem for me... Especially when we are so thin inside. It works when you have a John Collins, but we don't.

Massoud was an excellent shooter in HS and hasn't missed a beat. Some guys you can see.

Mucius is more of a slasher who can shoot enough to give himself lanes.

We agree the major problem for our team shooting is on Manning's offense. Too much dribbling without a purpose. Bball is a game of flow. We have little to no flow on offense. There aren't many guys who can stand around and make shots when they aren't sure when or if the ball is coming to them. The last part is the most important. If you aren't sure the ball will be coming to you any time soon, you have other responsibilities and your shot is likely to suffer.

If Brandon plays like he did against Pitt our team shooting will improve. Why this is so difficult for Danny to understand?

He's midway through his sophomore year and has consistently been a bad shooter. When are we ready to make a determination about his shooting?

I'd say when we get a new coach who puts him (and the rest of the team) in position to succeed. As I discussed earlier, this offense is doomed to fail.

Agree... But those are the numbers from 3. We've seen nothing from him in nearly 2 years that shows he is a consistent 3-point threat. Last year, he was 19-81 from 3 (23.5%).

Also, from inside the arc he's only shooting 41.5% (34-82)... Last year was 37% (51-138).

There is a lot of evidence that he is not currently a good shooter.... This is made worse by the fact that he puts up a higher % of shots when he's on the floor than any other player on our team (including Childress).

I like Mucius a lot... I think he has a unique skill set that we don't often see at Wake Forest. But he has not been good (at least not on offense).

He kind of reminds me of Ari Stewart except Ari was a surprisingly good shooter as a freshman.

It's early, but there are some interesting conference games only stats (15 teams):

WF is #7 on offense.

1st in free throw rate
2nd in 3 point percentage (42%)
4th in tempo (72 possessions per game)

WF is #12 in defense:

14th in forcing TOs
5th in "defending the paint" (47% in 2 pt defense)
13th in 3 point defense (41%)
15th (last in steal %)

It's early, but there are some interesting conference games only stats (15 teams):

WF is #7 on offense.

1st in free throw rate

WF is #12 in defense:

14th in forcing TOs
15th (last in steal %)

Those numbers show that Danny's early comment about "hanging our hat on defense" hasn't happened this season so far.

WF is #7 on offense.

1st in free throw rate

WF is #12 in defense:

14th in forcing TOs
15th (last in steal %)

It's also tough to take anything from those stats when we've played one OK team (NCSU), one mediocre-at-best team (Pitt), and one terrible team (BC).

It's also tough to take anything from those stats when we've played one OK team (NCSU), one mediocre-at-best team (Pitt), and one terrible team (BC).

The fact that Wake defense is down so far is pretty telling when it is working against the three teams Wake has played so far. If Wake can't play good defense against mediocre teams, highly unlikely they play better defense against good to excellent teams.

However, the gaudy offense could be fools gold because it was done against mediocre to bad defenses.

Isn't most of the ACC in the okay to mediocre to bad range ?

Back