• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cocktails with Currie - Country Club Casual

No, I just told everybody. We talked about Ph and RJKarl a lot.

This post should end the conversation. But of course it won't. Actually, the third post in this entire thread should have ended the conversation - from Biff: "And I know you're not actually perplexed. You're just trying to gain some street cred with our more granola, anti-establishment posters by acting like you don't know how to dress for a reception after work."

Not to distract from your shilling for the AD, but the conversation was never about what "country club casual" entails. It's about whether that's the phrase that we want our AD to be using in 2019. Is that the vibe we want our school to be communicating to the outside world. Do we want our donor and fan base to be restricted to those who feel comfortable with that term.

And more importantly - is the AD even considering the implications of its wording. Currie has a chance to come and shake things up, or sit back and not rock the boat. What's it going to be?

Not to distract from your shilling for the AD, but the conversation was never about what "country club casual" entails. It's about whether that's the phrase that we want our AD to be using in 2019. Is that the vibe we want our school to be communicating to the outside world. Do we want our donor and fan base to be restricted to those who feel comfortable with that term.

And more importantly - is the AD even considering the implications of its wording. Currie has a chance to come and shake things up, or sit back and not rock the boat. What's it going to be?

Are we a bunch of pussies?

They did change it to business casual in the second email. Maybe that scared people into wearing suits. Respect the throne

Are we a bunch of pussies?

No. Just people who want to expand beyond our country club fan base and win championships in more than country club and suburban sports.

Rafi, a reception after work is business causal. Ditch the jacket and tie and you're good. "Country club causal" is after sipping whiskey with Chet and Chad at the 19th Hole or whatever.

Last edited:
No. Just people who want to expand beyond our country club fan base and win championships in more than country club and suburban sports.

Rafi, a reception after work is business causal. Ditch the jacket and tie and you're good. "Country club causal" is after sipping whiskey with Chet and Chad at the 19th Hole or whatever.

Wrong. Only a bunch of pussies would dissect a single sentence and get their panties in a wad about it. 20 pages?!?!?!? You wear a visor for Christs sake....

Last edited:

I had never heard the term "country club casual" in my life, so when this very important thread was started I looked it up. In 30 seconds I learned it means more casual than "business casual" - basically a guy can wear a short sleeve polo shirt if he wants. It seems that in real life the attendees at this event had absolutely no problem wearing a wide variety of appropriate clothes. How they managed to do so, some on this thread will never know.

We need more fans that will wear whatever the fuck they want and not care about what the suggested athletic department dress code is.

I had never heard the term "country club casual" in my life, so when this very important thread was started I looked it up. In 30 seconds I learned it means more casual than "business casual" - basically a guy can wear a short sleeve polo shirt if he wants. It seems that in real life the attendees at this event had absolutely no problem wearing a wide variety of appropriate clothes. How they managed to do so, some on this thread will never know.

Rafi really is the singular encapsulation of the WFU admin. it's quite amazing.

Rafi really is the singular encapsulation of the WFU admin. it's quite amazing.

Wrong. I think Manning should have been fired and still should be fired. I just don't spaz out over the phrasing of evites.

I really don’t get the people that shill so hard for the school like it can do no wrong. There’s plenty of fucked up things that Wake does, is a part of, or gets wrong.

I really don’t get the people that shill so hard for the school like it can do no wrong. There’s plenty of fucked up things that Wake does, is a part of, or gets wrong.

I would argue that what happens way more often on this board is the opposite. Wake can do no right. It's really strange - posters get mad when I simply post updates on Wake sports results.

Of course Wake gets stuff wrong. Manning and Bz are two huge, prime, examples. But Wake also does a ton of good, and there are many on here that seem to have no interest in hearing that.

Who does that? Honestly, is there a single semi-regular poster on here that has been in favor of Wellman's handling of the b-ball program - especially the last 2 years?

Yeah, I'm sure John Currie stays up all night worrying about whether District and Ph will approve of language on an invitation that was probably written by an intern. Some people will find anything to bitch about.

Yeah, I'm sure John Currie stays up all night worrying about whether District and Ph will approve of language on an invitation that was probably written by an intern. Some people will find anything to bitch about.

I doubt Currie worries about it either. I’m also not sure he’s worried enough about the state of our basketball programs. How much is Jen Hoover’s buyout?

Wrong. Only a bunch of pussies would dissect a single sentence and get their panties in a wad about it. 20 pages?!?!?!? You wear a visor for Christs sake....

Geez I haven’t worn a visor in ages. I don’t even know if I still have one.

Back