• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston's Fenway Park to Host New ACC Bowl Game

Does any P5 conference have as many cold weather Bowl ties as the ACC? Detroit, Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Annapolis.

The ACC does have the Sun Bowl. Wait... Nevermind:

Yeah. I was being generous not to call El Paso, Charlotte, and Nashville cold weather.

AIR, ND played BC at Fenway and THE game between Harvard - Yale as well....might have been 1 other.

ANY event at Fenway Park is worth it if you've never been there for a Sox game....on everyone's 'bucket list'.

Also the location is super for pre/post game restaurants, access to the T and downtown Beantown. If you can't find/have a good time in Boston you're lacking a pulse :eek:

Brown sometimes plays Dartmouth there.

I'm probably about as likely to go to a bowl in Boston in December as I am a bowl in Birmingham.

The byline being Scottsdale, Arizona was intended to trick you into feeling warm when reading about this cold weather bowl.

OK, then what's the Myrtle Beach situation? Leave Fenway Park to BC, Syracuse, and maybe Pitt.

Last edited:
OK, then what's the Myrtle Beach situation? Leave Fenway Park to BC, Syracuse, and maybe Pitt.

It'll be playing at Brooks Stadium, which is Coastal Carolina's home field and only seats 20K - it'll be affiliated with the Sun Belt, C-USA, and Mid-American. Much too small for an ACC tie-in.

Is the Pinstripe Bowl still an ACC tie-in? Always thought it would be cool to see Wake there, and with Fenway now in play, that opens up more opportunity for that to happen.

Average high in Winston in December is 50.3 degrees. Average high in Boston in December is 41.2 degrees. Lots of bitching on here over 9 degrees. Uncomfortable seats or not, this is a cool venue and Boston is a hell of a lot better place to spend a bowl weekend than Shreveport, Birmingham, or El Paso, even if you have to wear a jacket.

Average high in Winston in December is 50.3 degrees. Average high in Boston in December is 41.2 degrees. Lots of bitching on here over 9 degrees. Uncomfortable seats or not, this is a cool venue and Boston is a hell of a lot better place to spend a bowl weekend than Shreveport, Birmingham, or El Paso, even if you have to wear a jacket.

Nobody wants to play a bowl game in Winston-Salem either.

If you want to drop a coupla thousand dollars to go watch a 6-6 football team play Tulane in the cold over Christmas, I'm not going to stop you.

Unfortunately we will be an attractive option for this game. Our games at BC are always well attended. Let me join the chorus of saying that Fenway is a terrible venue. I love history but that place is so uncomfortable and awful to watch a game.
Makes sense since all the Alumni are from New York/Jersey and Boston now.

Yep. December is definitely cold up here but it’s no January or February. That said weather will always be an issue and will decrease attendance.

Average night time low is around 26. Sitting in that kind of temperature requires proper heavy dress, or risks frostbite.

It'll be playing at Brooks Stadium, which is Coastal Carolina's home field and only seats 20K - it'll be affiliated with the Sun Belt, C-USA, and Mid-American. Much too small for an ACC tie-in.

20K would probably be plenty for a lower tier ACC tie-in. Toledo vs. Pitt in the Dirty Myrtle in late December would struggle to draw 10,000.

Alums like me in the NE would be thrilled to have us play there. I’d venture we’d have much better attendance in Boston than WC bowl games.

Horrible bowl game venue. Hard pass as others have stated.

Back