• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

I think HBU saw the chance to get another victory over WF. Too bad for them Manning doesn't coach soccer.

HBU's president has a son who is a professor at WF. I have no idea of any connections beyond that, but at least there is that.

HBU's president has a son who is a professor at WF. I have no idea of any connections beyond that, but at least there is that.

Figured that there had to be some sort of connection as Houston Baptist v. WF is not a traditional, natural or geographic rivalry.

Any chance they address the conflict of the soccer and 1st football game both at 7 PM on 8/30?
Move the soccer to afternoon?

WF soccer related......

Dalton (GA) HS soccer team is now 20-0 and rated #1 in the country per USA Today. They will play in the Elite 8 Class 6A state playoffs this Wednesday night. Dalton is led by Omar Hernandez, the Gatorade player of the year in Georgia last year, and Ivan Mora. Hernandez will attend WFU this fall to play soccer, while Mora is coming to Wake as a kicker/punter for football. These guys are also best friends. Look for lots of good things from these 2 during the coming years.

I was able to see some of the Spring action (while trying to herd my kids as well at the games). The Vaughn Football Club match was a great night for watching. Crowd was pretty sparse, but Logan Gdula as well as some of the basketball players were in attendance.

While it's never the same when the season rolls around, it LOOKED like this below was the starting XI. Defense is still gelling and had many misfires and mishits. Chol was pretty good up top, but we had some big gaps between him and the rest of the midfield. We were still doing good moving the ball around and had the better chances, but we need to finish, which may become a lingering issue. With this newish back 4, we are going to give up some goals, so we're going to need to put some of the board throughout the season instead of relying on the defense to hold clean sheets. I may have missed 1 or 2 below with no names and number changes and new faces and a frosh in the mix, but you get the idea.

I don't recall seeing Parente or Zarris starting, but I was somewhat expecting them to start next season. I imagine another freshman or two may come in a be an impact player from the jump. Overall, the talent is there, and there will likely be some great position battles. Hopefully the Journal gets a few pre-season articles out as they seemed to continually increase their coverage each season.

-----------ACM-----------
Rula--Folds--DeShields--Carr
----Johnston----Dezert----
McMaster---Lapa---Harris(frosh)
----------Chol-----------

Whoa, cool. That would have been sweet to see. Man, I'm old.

WF soccer related......

Dalton (GA) HS soccer team is now 20-0 and rated #1 in the country per USA Today. They will play in the Elite 8 Class 6A state playoffs this Wednesday night. Dalton is led by Omar Hernandez, the Gatorade player of the year in Georgia last year, and Ivan Mora. Hernandez will attend WFU this fall to play soccer, while Mora is coming to Wake as a kicker/punter for football. These guys are also best friends. Look for lots of good things from these 2 during the coming years.

Update......Dalton won their quarterfinal and semifinal games by scores of 5-1 and 6-1 and will play in the championship game tomorrow. The bad news is that Ivan Mora strained his ACL and may not play. Hopefully it's not bad and he'll be ready to kick a football this fall.

Update......Dalton won their quarterfinal and semifinal games by scores of 5-1 and 6-1 and will play in the championship game tomorrow. The bad news is that Ivan Mora strained his ACL and may not play. Hopefully it's not bad and he'll be ready to kick a football this fall.

It wouldn't be the end of the world. Dom Maggio will be a senior and Nick Sciba a Soph. Mora would need to be pretty incredible to supplant either of them. Or was he being projected for kickoff duty to replace the grad students from 2018?

Final update - Dalton ended the season with a 4-1 win in the state championship game to go 23-0. Good news is that Mora is ok and played. Next stop for Hernandez and Mora is Winston-Salem.

Omar Hernandez just won the Gatorade National Soccer Player of the Year award after leading his team to an undefeated season and a second consecutive Georgia state championship. His team, Dalton HS, was also ranked #1 in the country.
Can't get any better than that.

Both Jack Harrison and Pat Phelan were Gatorade National Soccer Player of the Year.

Hope Hernandez can have that kind of impact.

Maybe next year, WF can be the team that sneaks up on the higher rated teams in the NCAA Tournament. WF is due to reverse its past practice of being the consenus number 1 from October on, and then fall in agonizing fashion in the tournament. Would be justice for WF to upset #1 seed Stanford at some point.

Noticed on our new training gear that we have a star above Wake Forest for our National Championship (mimicking pro clubs). I thought that was pretty cool and don’t remember having that before.

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure we've had that star since winning in '07

Back