• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Again, ONE BILLION DOLLARS, for nothing. With that backdrop, anyone worrying about "saving" $3 million for another year of the face of the university suffering incompetence at this level is as grossly negligent as Manning himself and should be thrown out the door along with him.

And furthermore, you fire Manning and don't pay him dick, regardless of what his contract says his buyout should be. Fire the motherfucker for said gross negligence and make him come try to get the money by proving that he is actually owed and deserves it.

Good grief. Universities don't use their endowment or money raised to fund the operations of the University, to buy out coaches. The $1B is irrelevant.

And, he doesn't have to prove he "deserves" it - we contractually agreed to pay it to him. Unless there are measurable things in the contract that we can point to as having not been met, which I highly doubt, then we owe the money. If we withheld it he could sue us for the money as well as damages for having wrongfully withheld it.

I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere. Is it possible Currie wanted a full year to learn more about the program to find the right coach. Not to decide about manning but to make a good hire. Is it easier for him to hire a better coach by waiting the year? If Currie felt like this hire was maybe the most important thing he will do as AD and giving himself a year makes him more able to make a great hire then fine. I never thought DM should have been hired but simply firing him isn’t going to get me back. Wake me up when you hire a real coach.

This is logical reasoning.

Wellman may have put out a false narrative about firing Dino.

Wellman may have put out a false narrative about hiring JB.

Wellman may have put out a false narrative about the search for Danny.

But, it's not possible a false narrative was given to Goodman. NAH, that has to be true, just like all the others have to be true.

Good grief. Universities don't use their endowment or money raised to fund the operations of the University, to buy out coaches. The $1B is irrelevant.

And, he doesn't have to prove he "deserves" it - we contractually agreed to pay it to him. Unless there are measurable things in the contract that we can point to as having not been met, which I highly doubt, then we owe the money. If we withheld it he could sue us for the money as well as damages for having wrongfully withheld it.

This. Thought these things were obvious but then there’s 2&2.

But, it's not possible a false narrative was given to Goodman. NAH, that has to be true, just like all the others have to be true.
The difference is that most people wouldn't put out a false narrative to make themselves look like an idiot.

giphy.gif

All the other false narratives made him look bad.

How about thinking about this - If Danny got fired as soon as Currie got the job, would many people have tied Wellman's "retirement" to Danny's firing as a package deal? Do you think Wellman's ego would have liked to have to answer why he got "fired" rather than "retired" on his own terms?

Just sayin.......

There are 2 separate things - 1. Firing Danny 2. The coaching search.
Well, you're 99% you will have to do a coaching search, and may already be scouting talent.

Why fire Danny now? Because the more losses Danny piles up, the more apathy continues for people who are already there and infects those that aren't yet. Firing Danny gives fans who have not become apathetic, a light at the end of the tunnel to regain hope. No need to worry about an interim coach suddenly getting this team to 20 wins, it's not going to happen.

Why do you not fire Danny now? Two possible reasons 1. Financial reasons 2. To present the appearance that you gave him a chance to the coaching community, despite the fact he's had 5 previous years of chances. For some reason certain people feel #2 is a valid concern, but I doubt anyone in the coaching community would be turned off by Wake Forest for that action.

So what are you weighing? Fan apathy vs. financial cost. That's the bottom line. To some degree you may better be able to scout future coaches by firing him earlier too, but that's debatable. It would be the difference of Currie wasting 52 more hours watching Danny Manning coach.

The coaching search is the big unknown. Who will be available? Who will continue to turn heads this season? Will the AD use an outside firm for assistance (please don't, they all suck and are a waste of money)? This board, generally, has been good at identifying talent the past 2 years. I don't think identifying talent will be an issue for Currie. The fans screaming for Danny to be fired are really just saying, please give me a reason to believe in Wake Forest Basketball being good again.

The difference is that most people wouldn't put out a false narrative to make themselves look like an idiot.
RJ is not most people...he lies all the time and makes himself look like an idiot, so it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

The coaching search is the big unknown. Who will be available? Who will continue to turn heads this season? Will the AD use an outside firm for assistance (please don't, they all suck and are a waste of money)? This board, generally, has been good at identifying talent the past 2 years. I don't think identifying talent will be an issue for Currie. The fans screaming for Danny to be fired are really just saying, please give me a reason to believe in Wake Forest Basketball being good again.
I'll have to look it up for the specifics but there was a list published earlier this year with a ranking of the worst coaching hires and one search firm was responsible for something like 75% of all the awful hires, yet they keep getting hired to help run coaching searches.

I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere. Is it possible Currie wanted a full year to learn more about the program to find the right coach. Not to decide about manning but to make a good hire. Is it easier for him to hire a better coach by waiting the year? If Currie felt like this hire was maybe the most important thing he will do as AD and giving himself a year makes him more able to make a great hire then fine. I never thought DM should have been hired but simply firing him isn’t going to get me back. Wake me up when you hire a real coach.

Fine with all but the beginning. Currie is an alum and this is a basketball team not a F500 multinational. There is not that much to learn.

Firing Manning will the the second most excited I’ve been about Wake basketball in about a decade. The most excited was when we dumped [Redacted]. Comparatively the NCAAT appearance by Manning didn’t come close because we massively underachieved and everyone knew we’d give up a hundred to Kstate and lose immediately which we then did.

This has probably been stated before, Currie was a student at WFU that same time I was (he was class of 93, ). So during his 4 years, we made the Tourney 3 times including a sweet sixteen and had guys like rodney rogers, Randolph Childress, Trelonnie Owens, Anthony Tucker, Chris King, with Tim Duncan being just a year away. He worked in the Deacon club during the 95 and 96 championship seasons. Also, basketball was absolutely the most important sport on campus at that time, not even close (although we did have a nice 92 football team). Point being, Currie knows what good basketball at Wake is like and surely, surely he realizes that we are not even close to that now.

That excuse is about as LOWF as it gets. "Oh, we have the money, but we're not supposed to use it for a buyout because of some antiquated notion of principal, so we're going to say the department in question doesn't have the money as the excuse why we won't make a change." Fuck that shit, pathetic attitudes like that are exactly why we are in this situation. Oh we, can't fire a coach in the middle of the season, what would everyone else think? Oh, we can't fire our longterm AD, what would everyone else think? Oh, we have to give him another year, if we fire him without giving him 5 years nobody will want the job. Oh, if we fire him now, what will our 180th ranked recruiting class think? Oh, if we use part of our $1 Billion in free money to fire a bad coach, what will everyone else think? Oh, if we don't pay him his buyout because he is the worst coach in the history of organized sports then he might sue us, we can't have that happen because what would everyone else think? Do you want to know what everyone else already thinks? That we are a school of pussies who are fun to laugh at. And continuing attitudes like this are exactly why we deserve the situation we are in.

The athletic department is part of university operations. Money gets moved back and forth between the athletic department and general operations all the time. What do you think happens when there is an overage or shortfall for various reasons? And even if using it to buy out coaches doesn't normally happen, if ever it was going happen, this level of historical incompetence is it. If this were tOSU or Texas and they were sitting on $1 Billion of found money, would anyone give a damn if a very small portion of it went to buy out the worst coach in the history of the flagship sport? Get your head out of your ass.

it's staggering to think 2&2 runs a business

All the other false narratives made him look bad.

How about thinking about this - If Danny got fired as soon as Currie got the job, would many people have tied Wellman's "retirement" to Danny's firing as a package deal? Do you think Wellman's ego would have liked to have to answer why he got "fired" rather than "retired" on his own terms?

Just sayin.......

They still would have named a street and building after him while sucking his dick on the way out the door. I don't see how anyone would have made the connection your asserting under those circumstances.

The criticisms of Currie are ridiculous. Did people actually think he was going to fire Danny Manny on day one in office? Seriously? We are already a disaster, let’s fire fire our coach a month after the old AD retained him. Remember, most of the outside world just thinks we suck. They aren’t as plugged in as us and don’t know that the AD was the disease. It would have put our dysfunction on a much more public platform. (What good coach, that we desperately must hire, would walk into that?) I’m just as pissed, if not more than, most here about DM still being here, but it’s not a bad thing that he’s going to have a full year to establish his AD, analyze the deficiencies in the program, and lay the groundwork for a new head coach.

I actually think, however, Currie May make an in season change. Where he was sitting and his demeanor at the UNCC game sent a message. I worked in ACC/SEC ADs for almost a decade and never saw something like that, including at Wake Forest.

Back