• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

i would recommend an amp that is 15-30 watts in output, with a master volume so as to be able to tailor the 'grind' and volume to the rooms in which you might play...most any modern amp can be set to make it sound like you want. i recommend a tube amp. i also recommend that you stick with popular name-brand stuff, so if you should decide to unload it, it's that much easier to do. i remain of the opinion that a large part of a guitarist's sound is in the hands. i can make most any tube amp work for what i do, which runs the gamut from blues, to funk, to soul, to rock 'n' roll, and back again...but i choose a dr. z here lately, or a vintage fender or gibson amp...

as to a guitar, once again, stick with the tired and true. you won't go wrong with a gibson or a fender...i am a strat and tele guy mostly, but i do play humbucker equipped guitars frequently...depends on the mood, and the setting. i can make the 'v' work just as well for me on the gig as a strat...if i had to have just one guitar though, it would be a strat...

good luck with your search. always fun!

Mercury. like the P90's. I don't have a guitar with P90's yet and I have a bunch of guitars. For some reason, I am fascinated with a Gibson Les Paul Jr with P90's. I has a Jr when I was a kid so maybe that's the reason. The SG looks great.

I play and own mostly acoustic guitars, but have a handful of electrics too. I primarily have Les Pauls and Teles.

hello there, guitardeac! loves me some p-90's. though i no longer have them, i have owned at various times 3 les paul jrs: a '58, '59, and a '60. like to have the '60 back! it was simply killer (but i was in the "can't go broke selling for a profit" mindset when i let it go!)...

i also have a custom tele with a p90 from a '57 special in the neck position on that guitar, and i also currently hold a '63 sg jr...

p90's have always suited my style. i tend toward single coils, given a choice...

still working with the new sg here...i like it though...

good to hear from you, and happy picking!

i would recommend an amp that is 15-30 watts in output, with a master volume so as to be able to tailor the 'grind' and volume to the rooms in which you might play...most any modern amp can be set to make it sound like you want. i recommend a tube amp. i also recommend that you stick with popular name-brand stuff, so if you should decide to unload it, it's that much easier to do. i remain of the opinion that a large part of a guitarist's sound is in the hands. i can make most any tube amp work for what i do, which runs the gamut from blues, to funk, to soul, to rock 'n' roll, and back again...but i choose a dr. z here lately, or a vintage fender or gibson amp...

as to a guitar, once again, stick with the tired and true. you won't go wrong with a gibson or a fender...i am a strat and tele guy mostly, but i do play humbucker equipped guitars frequently...depends on the mood, and the setting. i can make the 'v' work just as well for me on the gig as a strat...if i had to have just one guitar though, it would be a strat...

good luck with your search. always fun!

The Strat is where it's at! :)

Although my strat is a fat strat, so I have a humbucker and two singles.

this is a fun thread. i wish i had the time to really get back into playing, but with kids and all such i'm stuck with fiddling around at home 20 minutes a day.

this is a fun thread though. keep it up real players!

The Strat is where it's at! :)

Although my strat is a fat strat, so I have a humbucker and two singles.

that is such a nice combination...and certainly adds to the the strat's versatility, but one of the things i like most about a strat is that single coil back pickup...i tend to favor that on a tele as well...

does the fat strat let you tap the coil on the humbucker to go single coil with it?

i think i'd like to have a fender esquire: one pickup, use that tone control for a bit of variance...and get it on!

50s_Esquire_Relic_Top_Bound_Shell_Pink_Maple_Fretboard_41254combo.jpg

Last edited:
Im looking to sell an American strat with very little time played on it. Any advice as to how much to ask for it?

Wow, you guys are really inspiring me to start playing again. I miss it.

Kudos to all of you musicians.

Im looking to sell an American strat with very little time played on it. Any advice as to how much to ask for it?

i'd say a good starting point (generally) price-wise is to knock 25% off what you paid for it. the exception(s) would be if you've owned it for more than 15 years (some guitars, especially top name brand ones can and do appreciate), and/or if your guitar comes from a limited run...

you might also check 'completed items' on ebay for your particular instrument. that will give you a very solid idea of its value...

As for Teles and Strats and the like, I have a Fender Nashville Tele that I really like. With the Tex Mex 3 pickup setup, it sort of gives me the best of both worlds. In a way, it gives me a Tele and a Strat if I want it. Here is one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Deluxe-Series-Nashville-Power-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-101030211-i1146401.gc

With that Tele and a Les Paul, it would really be all I would need to take to any electric gig. Most of my guitars are acoustic though, and I play mostly acoustic.

I was looking at the Gibson SG coil-tap and thought I'd kick this thread back up.

My pedal board has changed quite a bit since I started this thread. Between the pedals and (now) two power supplies, the thing costs more than my amp...and I'm still thinking about replacing out two of the pedals.

408242_10151134059989792_683846543_n.jpg

I want a SUNN Beta Lead. I had a Marshall JCM900, but solid state sounds more evil. My favorite axe has always been the Gibson Melody Maker. They sound super raw.

I'm up to 25 guitars now and probably 40 pedals and 6 amps. I'm a GAS infected gear head for sure. Im not a very food player really but i love to play and do every day. I will try to post some pics of my gear although indent think I have Pics of everything. As far as guitars, right now I have:

Acoustics
Gibson J45
Gibson Hummingbird (black)
Taylor 614CE
Guild D55 (best acoustic on planet)
Guild Dc5
Epiphone 500DM
Taylor 200
Martin Sigma dreadnought

Electrics
Gibson Les Paul Gold Top P90s
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pelham blue
Gibson Les Paul Standard ebony
Gibson Les Paul Junior Billy Joe Armstrong
Gibson Les Paul Studio heavily modded
Gibson Les Paul Special DC tv yellow
Gretsch Brian Setzer Nashville
G&L ASAT Special
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender American Standard Strat
Fender Road Worn 50's Strat
Fender Telecaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat heavily modded
Reverend Buckshot
Gibson ES335
Fender Chris Schiflett Telecaster

ELC how do you like your Plextortion? I have several if the Wampler pedals and I have been curious about that one. I love my Pinnacle and my Sovereign but didn't really bond with the SLOstortion. What are you using it for?

I love your board. I can't tell on the 2nd one from top on right. Is that a MXR Custom Modified Badass distortion?

Last edited:
Had some recent additions to the working collection; here's a cherry pairing:

prince-LP%20001.JPG

...more pics to post as I get a 'proper' page up on the studio's website.

The studio's equipment list is here...check out the Hammond B3 while you're there:

http://www.blantonemusic.com

Last edited:
ELC how do you like your Plextortion? I have several if the Wampler pedals and I have been curious about that one. I love my Pinnacle and my Sovereign but didn't really bond with the SLOstortion. What are you using it for?

I love your board. I can't tell on the 2nd one from top on right. Is that a MXR Custom Modified Badass distortion?

It's a Wampler Plexidrive, which I love on my AC30.

Mixed feelings on the Plextortion. It gets the Marshall sounds for sure, but probably has a touch too much gain for my tastes. But it serves its purpose, which is to create heavy gain Marshally tones on my AC30. The Hot Cake gives me heavier sounds that are more transparent to the AC30-- in other words, "brighter" distortion sounds. The Plexidrive is great on its own, but also shines when stacked with either the Hot Cake or the Plextortion.

I am curious about the Sovereign. Have thought about replacing my Plextortion with it. Also am thinking of replacing my AMT wah (lower right hand corner) with the Plutoneium Chi Wah.

And it wouldn't be gear discussion if I wasn't looking at a new guitar as well. I'm giving the SG w/ coil splitting a looksie.

a couple changes to my board... Replaced the AMT with the Chi Wah. Replaced the Plextortion with The Elements. Removed the flanger (I still have the phaser) and replaced it with the Tremolessence. Swapped the positions of a few pedals as a result.

Both Dr. Scientist pedals just kick ass. They might be the best pedals in their class. Certainly top 5.

184578_10151239247194792_1925468328_n.jpg

Back