• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guess the Attendance

Given that there were relatively few usu fans it was an incredible turnout for the deacs. Was very impressed with the turnout. We will have more for conference games but there will be a lot of holes and state fans there. For a predominantly wf crowd it was one of the better crowds I’ve seen.

On a Friday night.

Yup. Claw and the ad worked hard to hype this game and get people there. Then followed it up with one of the more exciting football games I’ve seen in a while. And a pretty kick ass fireworks show to boot. Good stuff. If you showed up tonight you got your money’s worth.

Student section was also strongest I’ve seen it in a long time (at least until halftime...). Started the game completely packed from bottom to top.

Sure, but I was on the home side (Thanks TheReff) and could move around quite freely. And the away side was a ghost town excluding the student and band sections. I’d say a maximum of 20000 actually attended.

away side of stadium usually looks horrible on tv with the shiny empty bleachers stairing into the camera. why do they notbput chairbacks in?

kudos for Currie and his staff in promoting this game. They deserve a lot of credit for the attendance bump. Have to admit, Currie so far > than Wellman. Nice student turnout for the first half, still don't understand why they all leave at halftime. Currie needs to work on that. Do students leave the soccer game 1/2 way through as it appears that they have good crowds for the entire game there?

kudos for Currie and his staff in promoting this game. They deserve a lot of credit for the attendance bump. Have to admit, Currie so far > than Wellman. Nice student turnout for the first half, still don't understand why they all leave at halftime. Currie needs to work on that. Do students leave the soccer game 1/2 way through as it appears that they have good crowds for the entire game there?

IIRC, The first game is usually well attended by students because they bring the whole freshman class onto the field for the team to run through after opening the gate.

I wasn’t there last night, so I can’t comment if attendance was appreciably more than in recent years, but I know we have received a bump from the freshman for previous first games.

IIRC, The first game is usually well attended by students because they bring the whole freshman class onto the field for the team to run through after opening the gate.

I wasn’t there last night, so I can’t comment if attendance was appreciably more than in recent years, but I know we have received a bump from the freshman for previous first games.

yes the Freshman field run then creating a tunnel for the team was a big plus for the crowd and a nice touch to get the kids engaged. They have to catch up to the upperclassmen for the Big Friday night Party so leaving at half is unfortunate. Also you had WSSU supporters and 6 Middle School FB teams and families that had a jamboree at Groves this morning. Great opening crowd.

Sure, but I was on the home side (Thanks TheReff) and could move around quite freely. And the away side was a ghost town excluding the student and band sections. I’d say a maximum of 20000 actually attended.

I was sitting on the East side and it looked pretty full from that angle. I thought the West side looked less full.

Now that “Mack is back” we may actually get to 35,000 plus on the 3rd Friday night game.

Nice student turnout for the first half, still don't understand why they all leave at halftime.

Typical reasons aside: it was the first Friday night of the semester, and I’m sure the students were itching to go out.

away side of stadium usually looks horrible on tv with the shiny empty bleachers stairing into the camera. why do they notbput chairbacks in?

They should do what the N.O. Saints did in the seventies. Put different colored seats in (like a rubics cube) that make them look occupied from a distance.

Good crowd for the 1st game. I'm impressed by the AD and staff on trying to hype the game to get people there. The student section looked great in the first half but that's about it. They didn't start many chants and didn't make much noise in my opinion especially when Utah St. was on that end of the field. After halftime the usual exit of the student section was predictable. Kudos to the ones who stayed and made some noise.

I was also surprised to see many folks leave in a game that was that close. I know Wake isn't a "football powerhouse" but I still for the love of God can't understand why so many folks sit on their asses (even on 3rd down) in such a close game. Great game. Wake didn't deserve to win but glad the team showed the fight to comeback when the hope of a win was slim.

Will be pulling for Utah St. the rest of the way.

Last edited:
While there was great attendance by the freshman class, the administration pressure on student tailgate reduced student attendance for this game and most likely prospectively. Unfortunate the administration tries to solve problems that don't exist.

While there was great attendance by the freshman class, the administration pressure on student tailgate reduced student attendance for this game and most likely prospectively. Unfortunate the administration tries to solve problems that don't exist.

What pressure?

It is my understanding closer monitoring of the activities at the tailgate caused many of the students not to attend the tailgate and host activities off campus. Unfortunately, student attendance was low when the tailgate was just outside the stadium. Its even more unlikely a large number of students will attend if they are no longer outside of the stadium.

It is my understanding closer monitoring of the activities at the tailgate caused many of the students not to attend the tailgate and host activities off campus. Unfortunately, student attendance was low when the tailgate was just outside the stadium. Its even more unlikely a large number of students will attend if they are no longer outside of the stadium.

Sheesh!
It's a tailgate. You're supposed to eat, drink and have fun. It's all part of the college football experience.
We need to have a discussion with Mr Currie to straighten this out so we can boost our attendance numbers.

Good crowd for the 1st game. I'm impressed by the AD and staff on trying to hype the game to get people there. The student section looked great in the first half but that's about it. They didn't start many chants and didn't make much noise in my opinion especially when Utah St. was on that end of the field. After halftime the usual exit of the student section was predictable. Kudos to the ones who stayed and made some noise.

I was also surprised to see many folks leave in a game that was that close. I know Wake isn't a "football powerhouse" but I still for the love of God can't understand why so many folks sit on their asses (even on 3rd down) in such a close game. Great game. Wake didn't deserve to win but glad the team showed the fight to comeback when the hope of a win was slim.

Will be pulling for Utah St. the rest of the way.

Me and Grant Dawson were talking about the lack of cheering from our fanbase. I have been going to games for 28 years and I have been asked to sit down and be quiet in games where we were beating top 25 times and the players were trying to pump up the crowd. I even got into it with Laney Pope one time when she asked me to sit down and I said no stand up and cheer for team they deserve it.

Do we have a limit on name drops?

Back