• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Nose tackle is supposed to occupy two blockers, clog one gap and leave the two inside linebackers free to make the tackle.

Supposed to, but really depends on the NT. With a 3 man front, that enables a few double teams or OLs to go after the LBs.
If our OL can do it’s job, this should be good for Carney. Also, hopefully, would give Newman a little more time to throw, assuming they’re not blitzing all the time.

I should've clarified further (word counts and such): Clawson went into pretty good detail on the Xs and Os of State's defense, which is basically a 3-3-5 a la the Rich Rod defense.

Clawson:
They’ve changed their defense. That, if somebody had their playbook [insert Wakeyleaks chuckles here], there’s very few calls that they have in their defense that were similar to a year ago. Some of the coverage stuff is a little similar, but it’s just a completely new defense. And that’s the 3-3 stack system that West Virginia ran with Rich Rodriguez and then West Virginia kept it when they took it to Michigan and then they ran it at Arizona.
Now, what’s ironic is for Florida State, all we did was prepare for okie and they came out and played us in four-down.
So a lot of the things that we thought we would end up doing against Florida State, we had worked on – N.C. State’s spacing is a little bit different at the second level, but it’s still guard-uncovered defense a lot of the time.

I asked a follow-up about how fresh the game plan for FSU stays 2-3 weeks after preparing for it.
Clawson:
Pretty fresh. And we prepare for it in preseason camp, nowadays a lot of people will run that defense as their nickel defense or their third-down defense. There’s times that we’ve run versions of it.
It’s not as radical of playing a spread team and then playing a wishbone team. But it’s different. To play well on the O-line, guys have to be on the same page and they have to know where their combinations are going to and where the double teams are working to and when you have something that you just haven’t worked against, you have to get familiar with it.

Also: State's depth chart lists 12 defensive positions so if that's the case then damn, how are they not the best team in the country?!?!

We all know that Rich Rod was known for his elite defenses.

Most OL would probably love playing against a 3 man front, especially the guards, as they can often immediately get to the 2nd level. Obviously, this doesn't work in the RPO, as they can't go down field. Wondering if we'll see more straight runs/passes this week and less RPO.

CONOR Football News 2019

Nah. There was a lot of “once in a lifetime event” talk within our LOWF fanbase.

“Bradley Houser, the secretary of the Orange Bowl committee, was in the house on Parents Weekend.

“I decided to kill two birds with one stone, come see my son Jason, who is a freshman at Wake, and make this an official visit from the Orange Bowl,” Houser said.”

That’s funny. Jason could be a more productive representative of Wake than Wellman on the selection committee.

Last edited:
“The bowl of oranges was still on the ledge as BB&T Field emptied and a lazy Saturday in an improbable football season came to an end.”

This line ticks me off a bit; this isn’t an improbable season. Anyone who has been watching the program can see this is the culmination of the last few seasons. This isn’t a lightning in a bottle season - it’s a program being built.

“The bowl of oranges was still on the ledge as BB&T Field emptied and a lazy Saturday in an improbable football season came to an end.”

This line ticks me off a bit; this isn’t an improbable season. Anyone who has been watching the program can see this is the culmination of the last few seasons. This isn’t a lightning in a bottle season - it’s a program being built.

It can be both. The stars have aligned a little for us this year, and that’s ok. We did catch some lightning in a bottle, but we seem to have a program that knows what to do with it.

Ah! Film review here.

Been a busy day. Still busy. Will have another football story up shortly (2 hours-ish), and then something small on probably having the first ever CFP ranking tonight.

Last edited:
Back