• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake will never compete for anything meaningful without a defense

Our defense has multiple issues but supremely we lack sufficient quickness and speed. Louisville was just faster than we are...so is FSU and so is Clemson. It is difficult to overcome speed deficiencies.

Our defense has multiple issues but supremely we lack sufficient quickness and speed. Louisville was just faster than we are...so is FSU and so is Clemson. It is difficult to overcome speed deficiencies.

USA Today dropped us from 2nd to 5th in ACC Power Rankings after the loss. We lose 31-28 we'd probably only dropped to 3rd. D giving up 62 is a shot heard around the college fb world. In

5. Wake Forest (5-1, 1-1)

Last week: No. 2

A potential Atlantic Division showdown at Clemson on Nov. 16 may be a pipe dream after the Demon Deacons were knocked from the ranks of the unbeaten by upstart Louisville in a 62-59 shootout last week. Wake Forest’s offense is potent, but the Deacons’ defense is lacking, which could be problematic what with an angry Florida State team rolling into town next

USA Today dropped us from 2nd to 5th in ACC Power Rankings after the loss. We lose 31-28 we'd probably only dropped to 3rd. D giving up 62 is a shot heard around the college fb world.

5. Wake Forest (5-1, 1-1)

Last week: No. 2

A potential Atlantic Division showdown at Clemson on Nov. 16 may be a pipe dream after the Demon Deacons were knocked from the ranks of the unbeaten by upstart Louisville in a 62-59 shootout last week. Wake Forest’s offense is potent, but the Deacons’ defense is lacking, which could be problematic what with an angry Florida State team rolling into town next

People seem to be undervaluing Louisville's offense. I think they are 1st or 2nd in the ACC for yards per play. Our defense is not great, but its not as bad as 62 points either. I was surprised by how many plays Bassey failed to make last game, doubt that happens again.

People seem to be undervaluing Louisville's offense. I think they are 1st or 2nd in the ACC for yards per play. Our defense is not great, but its not as bad as 62 points either. I was surprised by how many plays Bassey failed to make last game, doubt that happens again.

I think you are overvaluing Louisville's offense. Significantly.

Yes my original post might have been "sponsored by Blanton's" to some extent. No it wasn't about UF-LSU...UF was a two touchdown dog in that game and after the injuries on defense I knew that game was over. I was much more interested in the Wake game Saturday night.

Dave Clawson is a great fit for Wake. I'm glad he's our coach. But my original post is accurate. He's failed, so far, to build on the defensive side of the ball. As long as Wake has to depend on shootouts with zero defense the team will never do better than the Belk Bowl. Yes the officiating was bad, but when you give up 62 points you have to look in the mirror and nowhere else. Wake has a mid level FCS defense.

With the Louisville game film out there for other teams to exploit, this will only get worse. Wake got exposed about as badly as a team can be exposed on Saturday.

My best hope now is that we beat State and Syracuse to get to 7 wins.

(As for Clawson's 0-7 after bye week record...that's just bizarre. That stat has to be eating at him, although each year's team is different so the stat's real life value is questionable.)

I think you are overvaluing Louisville's offense. Significantly.

Yes my original post might have been "sponsored by Blanton's" to some extent. No it wasn't about UF-LSU...UF was a two touchdown dog in that game and after the injuries on defense I knew that game was over. I was much more interested in the Wake game Saturday night.

Dave Clawson is a great fit for Wake. I'm glad he's our coach. But my original post is accurate. He's failed, so far, to build on the defensive side of the ball. As long as Wake has to depend on shootouts with zero defense the team will never do better than the Belk Bowl. Yes the officiating was bad, but when you give up 62 points you have to look in the mirror and nowhere else. Wake has a mid level FCS defense.

With the Louisville game film out there for other teams to exploit, this will only get worse. Wake got exposed about as badly as a team can be exposed on Saturday.

My best hope now is that we beat State and Syracuse to get to 7 wins.

(As for Clawson's 0-7 after bye week record...that's just bizarre. That stat has to be eating at him, although each year's team is different so the stat's real life value is questionable.)

I get what you're saying, but I think that is a bit of an over statement. Delaware, The Citadel and Richmond have mid-FCS level defenses and Elon scored 35+ against all 3 of those teams. The scored 7 against us. We have a weak P5 defense is a much more accurate statement.

Back