• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nolan Groulx updates????

Clawson's quote from yesterday said "In some ways, their redshirt year is over after the Virginia Tech game." I like that mentality, and I think we'll see a lot more of the true freshmen in the final games. Essentially, our roster is expanding for the final stretch.

Why would we play inexperienced true freshmen now, if we've deemed them not good enough to help the team win, previously? Blowouts and injuries aside, of course.

Why would we play inexperienced true freshmen now, if we've deemed them not good enough to help the team win, previously? Blowouts and injuries aside, of course.

To get them experience? Because they now have a lot more time in the program than they did when the season began? Because it's a balancing act and there's still value to preserving an extra year of eligibility for some players that must be weighed against their ability to contribute when the season began?

Yeah, I don't see the utility of having a true freshman first see the field on the road at Death Valley against #4 Clemson in an elimination game for the division championship.

Three reasons:

- Injuries
- The frosh have improved after being in the program for 3 months
- The rule that allows the frosh to play 4 games and not lose a year of eligibility provides enough of an incentive to hold potential contributors out to save that year of eligibility.

FWIW, the coaches are particularly excited to use frosh LB Jaylen Hudson: https://godeacs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5037

Apparently, he has been coming on strong.

Yeah, I don't see the utility of having a true freshman first see the field on the road at Death Valley against #4 Clemson in an elimination game for the division championship.

No one actually thinks Clawson is going to line up a true freshman over an experienced player in this game as long as we're still in it, do they? The fact that they can now play doesn't mean that they will.

Three reasons:

- Injuries
- The rule that allows the frosh to play 4 games and not lose a year of eligibility provides enough of an incentive to hold potential contributors out to save that year of eligibility.

FWIW, the coaches are particularly excited to use frosh LB Jaylen Hudson: https://godeacs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5037

That's great and all but we've had injuries all season.

And like Racer said, with the game on the line the freshmen aren't going to get meaningful snaps anyway.

Hot Sauces: NC State BMDs want to have Doeren fired, but seeing that Florida State is going to be stuck with Kiffin or Mike Ditka, will instead funnel money into GOP gerrymandering in Eastern NC

This is a stupid and pointless post. Go to the tunnels dumbass

Three reasons:

- Injuries

They also are EXTREMELY high on Chase Jones another freshman LB

I don't think we'll see any new true frosh at Clemson unless it's out of necessity, but it would seem absurd not to get some of our better freshman some game experience at VT, Duke and Cuse if the game allows so that we know what we have. Some may surprise, or the experience may be a benefit if injuries strike and they are forced into a game later.

That's great and all but we've had injuries all season.

And like Racer said, with the game on the line the freshmen aren't going to get meaningful snaps anyway.

Until Justin Strnad went out with season ending injury, the linebacking group was OK.

Now seems a good time to start getting the tFr linebackers some reps. Maybe get one in this week, then another next week. Let one play a game, then skip a game.

I don't think anybody is saying to throw them into a situation where they are playing with the game on the line, but getting live game action against another team will pay dividends in future years.

I was hoping the staff might have given some tFr their first game experience once the NC State game was well in hand. Let them play against NC State, then have them skip a game or two later that are closer.

U
I was hoping the staff might have given some tFr their first game experience once the NC State game was well in hand. Let them play against NC State, then have them skip a game or two later that are closer.

Exactly. NC State might be our only late season blowout (in a positive way at least). It was also a home game which is a good way to see the field for the first time.

Think a lot of people will still play against Duke.

More likely if the postseason scenario is definite, or at least highly likely no matter what the outcome of the game is, or if the game is well in hand. But its Duke, so that rarely happens.

I don't think we'll see a lot of new players taking key snaps. But, they'll be dressed, maybe integrated with special teams, maybe see a handful of rotational snaps on offense or defense.

Note, here was the longer quote from Clawson [per Les]:

But there are a number of players who we are going to try to get going, maybe this week. There’s a bunch of guys who if we can get through this week. For Clemson, yes. Jaylen Hudson has really improved. Kendrell Flowers, Taylor Morin, Donavon Greene are all guys who can be on special teams and give us depth. In some ways, their redshirt year is over after the Virginia Tech game. We’ve been working those guys in and giving them reps on special teams and the two-deep, anticipating we’ll play them starting with Clemson.

Last edited:
Greene wasn’t a bad rumor. He was unhappy a few weeks ago. I was told by a very reliable WFU source in MA. Apparently and understandably, his happiness has increased as his 4 games have finally arrived.

Who did he think he should be playing ahead of? WR is one of this team's strongest positions.

I think the running theory is that players need to practice like they are 1st string. That is easy for 1st and 2nd string players IMO, harder for those further down the depth chart. See Jamie Newman his first two years. It was not until Wolford graduated and he became QB#2 that he locked in (according to Clawson). But Hartman walked in having worked for 2+ years with a really elite high school coach (certainly as it relates to QBs), and suddenly Newman was in a dogfight for QB2. Then, Hinton got suspended and competition happened.

Clawson said at one of his pressers in the last few weeks that Greene in particular was really coming on in practice. That, coincidence or not, coincides with him being able to essentially be rolled out there like a Walker and not have to worry too much about losing a shirt. I suppose technically he'd have to sit another game. I'm not so sure you roll some of these guys out there at Clemson, especially on special teams. But I would love to see Greene out there for a whole series in the first half against VaTech. That becomes easier if Washington can't go or is limited or managed so he is ready for Clemson.

Groulx we haven't heard about but that could change, especially now that our Slot 3 is out for the season. Honestly, we haven't seen much of Roberson the last few games either and I don't know if that is anything more than Hinton has just been balling and his success allows him some NFL camp opportunities down the road as a result.

Anyway, I get the angst a player would have in this situation, but as many have said, all these guys need to do is go talk to Sage and Scotty or Jamie and Hartman. The snaps are going to be there for the taking next year at WR. We will be replacing our top 5 receivers assuming Sage goes pro. Only Chapman and Roberson will be left who have caught more than 10 balls at Wake. That is a staggering opportunity. I believe both Sage and Scotty have caught more balls in a game than anybody coming next year has caught in their career except for Chapman. Crazy.

Last edited:
Roberson redshirted in 2017.

Back