• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: biff brings board balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my students just asked me "why are you so salty, boomer?" and I think I'm ready to quit teaching and life.

it is pretty weird that students are so disrespectful in 2019. i'm sure teachers thought we were assholes in the 90s but WTF is up with that language?

I mean, it was mainly in jest, but fuck, man, I'm 38.

I did this. I went to Lenox, actually, to pick up something at Pottery Barn for my wife because they wouldn't ship it for free.

I'm sure you know Lenox pretty well... Parking was fine. The mall itself was fine. The spirit of Christmas was everywhere. All you would hope for and more. But it was getting back in my car and then trying to leave that was terrible. Only a few ways to get out of there... Miserable.

We went two years ago a few days after Christmas because my wife needed to return something and it was like Thunderdome.

not to pester but do you mean you said "They/them picked up my dog at 9 am" and they flipped

or "they picked up my dog at 9am" and someone was like "he did?" and you were like "uh, they did"

Lol I'm surprised they even noticed your using "they" as a singular pronoun

Raheem Sterling was ahead of his time with the English/Jamaican equivalent of Ok, Boomer, when he dropped the Steady on Brendan Rodgers (who deserved it, the self-important gasbag. Though I like Rodgers, he's a little much).

I would've just avoided the whole problem by saying he. But I'm a giant pussy. So, kudos, Townie.

Someone (turns out it was XKCD) really hit me hard a few years ago with, "Every year, American culture embarks on a massive project to carefully recreate the Christmases of Baby Boomers' Childhoods." This was in December 9, 2011, before "ok boomer" was even a twinkle in Juice's eye.

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/988:_Tradition

File:tradition.png

That’s the decade after “All I Want for Christmas is You” came out. Love Actually came out in 2003 and that still didn’t propel the song until much later.

I’m triggered, bro. And I’ve always said that the general shittiness of Christian music is what keeps me from believing in God. If homie is all-powerful, why would he pick people that untalented to sing his praises?

Most great artists have a Christmas album. I think last year we had a discussion about who is the most famous artist who never recorded a Christmas song, cover or original. I don’t think that was resolved.

not to pester but do you mean you said "They/them picked up my dog at 9 am" and they flipped

or "they picked up my dog at 9am" and someone was like "he did?" and you were like "uh, they did"

Lol I'm surprised they even noticed your using "they" as a singular pronoun

townie's family must be a bunch of phan09s

It's hard to train your brain to get the "they/them" pronoun right, but I've finally made it a habit after accidentally using "she" talking to my wife about them for the last month or so.

But it went down something roughly like:

Mother-in-law: What do you do with Pepper when you're at work?
Me: We have a dog walker.
Mother-in-law: That's crazy!
Wife: I guess, but they're great with Pepper.
Dad: Is it like a service you call up?
Me: We just use one dog trainer that came recommended. They [...]

[chaos ensues]

That’s the decade after “All I Want for Christmas is You” came out. Love Actually came out in 2003 and that still didn’t propel the song until much later.

Most great artists have a Christmas album. I think last year we had a discussion about who is the most famous artist who never recorded a Christmas song, cover or original. I don’t think that was resolved.

Yeah, I don't really count secular artists doing a Christmas album as a cash grab as Christian music.

To go with OK Boomer should be There, There Millennial.

It's hard to train your brain to get the "they/them" pronoun right, but I've finally made it a habit after accidentally using "she" talking to my wife about them for the last month or so.

But it went down something roughly like:

Mother-in-law: What do you do with Pepper when you're at work?
Me: We have a dog walker.
Mother-in-law: That's crazy!
Wife: I guess, but they're great with Pepper.
Dad: Is it like a service you call up?
Me: We just use one dog trainer that came recommended. They [...]

[chaos ensues]

My in-laws would've never picked up on that, and my parents would've only been mad that I was wasting money on a dog walker, so I would've been fine in that conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back