• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBS suspended for 3 games for violation of team rules- Nonsubstantive discussion

Oh come on, these guys aren't smoking weed to self-medicate for their injured ankles.

I can assure you, from experience, that marijuana is detrimental to athletic performance. I'm sure Clawson doesn't want his athletes smoking cigarettes either.

It's a rule, plain and simple. Just like curfew. Just like maintaining grades. None of this is a surprise to these guys. They break the rules, they get punished.

Sucks for us because we're fans, and sucks for the student-athlete because they don't get to play. But look at Hinton: he broke the rules, got punished, lost his starting spot because of it, and now he's come back stronger and is arguably our most important offensive player outside of QB.

Oh come on, these guys aren't smoking weed to self-medicate for their injured ankles.

I can assure you, from experience, that marijuana is detrimental to athletic performance. I'm sure Clawson doesn't want his athletes smoking cigarettes either.

It's a rule, plain and simple. Just like curfew. Just like maintaining grades. None of this is a surprise to these guys. They break the rules, they get punished.

Sucks for us because we're fans, and sucks for the student-athlete because they don't get to play. But look at Hinton: he broke the rules, got punished, lost his starting spot because of it, and now he's come back stronger and is arguably our most important offensive player outside of QB.

Very few “smoke” marijuana anymore, and it is very beneficial for pain and swelling.

Plus it's illegal so his hands are kind of tied as a head coach of a team regardless of his personal views on it.

Very few “smoke” marijuana anymore, and it is very beneficial for pain and swelling.
So without addressing the substance of my post you only double down on your view that football players ingest marijuana as a way to reduce swelling in their joints?

Seems to me more like you are trying to justify a fan's argument against punishment based on a personal view about marijuana (frankly, one I agree with).

Yeah, I'm sure Clawson is throwing opioids at the players right and left.

So is alcohol. When’s the last time Clawson suspended someone for drinking (non-DUI)?

Josh Adams says hello.

Clawson broke down on one of his radio shows the players schedule during football. Sounds packed from early morning to night. I personally think marijuana is less harmful than alcohol but can see why he has rules about MJ which my guess are especially enforced during the season. I for one can't have anything going on that day when I went to fly in the clouds so hard to imagine being a player and being able to get shit done while doing MJ. Even though I think getting drunk is more harmful to your body and others than getting high, I feel like you can know limits a little better with alcohol hence maybe why clawson is strict on the MJ usage. Just postulating.... The only thing I know for certain is in clawson I trust

Clawson broke down on one of his radio shows the players schedule during football. Sounds packed from early morning to night. I personally think marijuana is less harmful than alcohol but can see why he has rules about MJ which my guess are especially enforced during the season. I for one can't have anything going on that day when I went to fly in the clouds so hard to imagine being a player and being able to get shit done while doing MJ. Even though I think getting drunk is more harmful to your body and others than getting high, I feel like you can know limits a little better with alcohol hence maybe why clawson is strict on the MJ usage. Just postulating.... The only thing I know for certain is in clawson I trust

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that recreational marijuana usage is still illegal in NC?

So is alcohol. When’s the last time Clawson suspended someone for drinking (non-DUI)?
1) alcohol is not a scheduled drug
2) you can't urine-test for alcohol use after the fact. These guys aren't being arrested for smoking weed. They're testing positive on department-mandated tests weeks later. I bet if an underage player was caught drinking by some authority that Clawson would have words for him. Next morning the kid's position coach would lose his voice yelling at him as he sprinted back and forth across the football field at 6AM.
Josh Adams says hello.
Imagine what he could have been. Also, everybody is not Josh Adams. Also, what?

1) alcohol is not a scheduled drug
2) you can't urine-test for alcohol use after the fact. These guys aren't being arrested for smoking weed. They're testing positive on department-mandated tests weeks later. I bet if an underage player was caught drinking by some authority that Clawson would have words for him. Next morning the kid's position coach would lose his voice yelling at him as he sprinted back and forth across the football field at 6AM. Imagine what he could have been. Also, everybody is not Josh Adams. Also, what?

So drinking = 30 mins of sprints

And

Weed = multi game suspension.

It’s a nonsensical, outdated policy.

Y'all are being dumb. It's not a nonsensical or outdated policy.

I'd agree with you if you argued that it's a nonsensical, outdated law.

I've made several arguments that lay out very clearly why our policy makes sense (we test based on NCAA rules, it's detrimental to performance) and it's not outdated (It's the current federal law).

But none of that is the point. You can argue all you want that the policy is dumb. But the fact is that it's team policy. Players get the rules printed out on colorful paper at the beginning of the season, and an assistant AD comes in and explains the rules and consequences to the team while they eat their one slice of pizza per freshman.

It's not that fucking hard to lay off the smoking for three months during the season. CBS knew the rules, and he let himself and the team down.

Let me guess - weed.

Dave has an issue with weed. I personally think that this view, beyond this instance. So yea hurt ankle, hurts like hell, so let’s use opioids but not weed.

This view is a massive problem in our society, and it is part of the institutional racism which has been so damaging. The hypocrisy of this university’s intolerance per weed considering the fact we were funded by tobacco... is what it is.

Do any of you seriously think that ole miss, or southern cal, or cal view this in the same manner. My view is that this heavy handed approach is unproductive and backward looking.

Agree 100%.

Back