Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 305

Thread: KP Report - Xavier Musketeers - 4 pm Saturday - ACCN

  1. #1

    KP Report - Xavier Musketeers - 4 pm Saturday - ACCN

    On Saturday, our Deacs return from exam week to play #28 Xavier led by 2nd-year coach Travis Steele.

    This season: After missing out on the NCAA tourney for the first time since 2013, the Teers are off to strong 9-1 start this season. While their record is impressive, their schedule has been soft as they have only played 4 top 140 teams, going 3-1 in those game, with wins over #56 Missouri in OT, #52 UCONN in double OT and #49 Cincy by 7. Their loss was to #36 Florida by 5. Xavier's strength is on D (#15) as they can force TOs (#67), defend outside the arc (28% 3 PT D #29) and inside the paint (44% 2 PT D #55). The Xavier offense (#52) has been spotty as they have been poor behind the arc (28% #309) and from the line (67% #242). They do hit the offensive boards hard, rebounding 33% of their misses (#58), and the bulk of their points come inside (52% from 2). Xavier plays at a moderate pace -- #153.

    The lineup: Xavier is big and experienced. All starters are juniors and seniors: 6-4 Paul Scruggs Sr., 6-4 Quentin Goodin Sr., 6-7 Naji Marshall Jr., 6-8 Jason Carter (Ohio transfer) Jr., 6-9 Tyrique Jones Sr. Off the bench, Xavier relies on 6-3 Sr. Bryce Moore (W Michigan transfer) and 6-9 Frosh Zach Freemantle. The 6-7 Marshall is Xavier's leading scorer and best player. Marshall is coming off a 31 point game against Cincy when he took 22 shots, including 11 3s. Jones (54% from 2), Marshall (58% from 2), Scruggs (68% from 2) all like to take it to the rack. Moore is their best 3 point shooter (36%), but the Xmen have had trouble scoring from deep all year.

    The bottom line: KP projects a 72-69 Xavier win. Looks like the game will be close as Xavier has played 6 games against top 200 teams, and 5 of them have been decided by 7 or less. Both teams are offensively challenged and outside of WF's last two losses (against teams better than their rating IMO), WF has played decent defense this year. WF will need to defend inside the arc and keep Xavier off the glass (WF is #25 in defending against offensive boards), and keep Naji Marshall from going off. Xavier is poor FT shooting team, which could come into play in a close game. Got a feeling the Deacs play well on Saturday, and pull off the win as a slight home doggie.

  2. #2
    We've got a game? I'll probably forget.

  3. #3
    We match up terribly with X and Manning is an awful preparatory coach, so we will probably go with the four guard lineup to start and end the game. Zero chance we pull an upset over them.

  4. #4
    Yeah. Iím thinking coaching matters in this one

  5. #5
    I honestly think Wellman did a good job overall with the athletic program, but basketball, yeah, mistakes were made. We should consider renaming this the "Kick Wellman in the Balls Classic" or maybe the "Wellman Wake Basketball Destruction Memorial". This game is the perfect manifestation and reminder of how badly Wake's basketball program has been managed. A school that Wake was clearly a step up from at one point in time to basically a role reversal despite every possible advantage.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDivingDeacon View Post
    We match up terribly with X and Manning is an awful preparatory coach, so we will probably go with the four guard lineup to start and end the game. Zero chance we pull an upset over them.
    Manning is in his 6th year of and the number of significant upsets he's had can probably count on half of one hand

  7. #7
    Y'know what? I actually hope Pilch is right and we actually win this game.
    Why?
    Because it's the Skip Classic.
    If we win it, it's a spit in Wellman's eye.
    If we lose it, it's a spit in Wellman's eye.
    A win is a better source for a saliva hockker than a loss.
    And...
    Let's do it for Skip.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    Manning is in his 6th year of and the number of significant upsets he's had can probably count on half of one hand
    Indiana, Louisville, and VT?

  9. #9
    The Pumpfaker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Paint
    Posts
    2,228
    Wake is an Xavier wanna be program. No wait, we aren't even good enough to reach wanna be status.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseheads12 View Post
    Indiana, Louisville, and VT?
    Last year, State was 14-2 and ranked when WF beat them. State's season fell off a cliff after that game.

    In 2018, WF beat FSU who went on to the Final 8.

    That said, WF has a horrendous record under Manning against top 50 teams.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Last year, State was 14-2 and ranked when WF beat them. State's season fell off a cliff after that game.

    In 2018, WF beat FSU who went on to the Final 8.

    That said, WF has a horrendous record under Manning <delete>.
    for shits and giggles, i looked back on KenPom to calculate the record. I lumped neutral site games in as Road games.
    Manning is 9-67 against top 50 Kenpom teams. 2-40 on the road and 7-27 at home.


    oh and fixed your post for you.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForest Fan View Post
    for shits and giggles, i looked back on KenPom to calculate the record. I lumped neutral site games in as Road games.
    Manning is 9-67 against top 50 Kenpom teams. 2-40 on the road and 7-27 at home.


    oh and fixed your post for you.
    way more shits than giggles in that summary

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    way more shits than giggles in that summary
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thatguy2016 again.

  14. #14
    Loss=win. Remember that!

  15. #15
    This has blow out city written all over it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForest Fan View Post
    for shits and giggles, i looked back on KenPom to calculate the record. I lumped neutral site games in as Road games.
    Manning is 9-67 against top 50 Kenpom teams. 2-40 on the road and 7-27 at home.


    oh and fixed your post for you.
    So after 6 years Manning still doesn't have double digit wins in any of these categories?

    I guess it doesn't matter to DM...still got paid. I guess you don't have to have pride in your work or care as long as the coin keeps rolling in....guaranteed, nonetheless.

  17. #17
    Heard Stan giving Danny the old "It's Exam Time" excuse last night on the radio show.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    way more shits than giggles in that summary
    Lol

  19. #19
    we know Manning is terrible, but sometimes we need to see the stats presented in a different way to really bring it into focus

    forget the absolutely horrible 2-40 road/neutral record (ok, don't forget it...put it aside)

    Manning has lost almost 80% of his HOME GAMES against top 50 teams

    just...astonishing

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    we know Manning is terrible, but sometimes we need to see the stats presented in a different way to really bring it into focus

    forget the absolutely horrible 2-40 road/neutral record (ok, don't forget it...put it aside)

    Manning has lost almost 80% of his HOME GAMES against top 50 teams

    just...astonishing
    Yet....he still stands on the sidelines pretending to coach as if he knows what he is doing. He isn't qualified to coach a team in Upwards Basketball.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •