• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

At what point does Manning do the right thing?

It’s not his university or fan base.
"Fans??" [All appropriate thanks to the original meme maker]
d50ac85d89ba3a718c31e75d34c41f6b.jpg

Last edited:
why would he feel anything except the joy of opening his bank app and seeing the direct deposits hitting every two weeks?

Imagine getting paid millions of dollars for a job in an industry you love. You aren't getting results, at all. Yet, there is zero pressure from any of your contemporaries and you have full job security. Generally, people like and respect you. Why would you ever leave that situation?

The answer is Danny will never decide to negotiate a settlement to leave.

He's either a) delusional enough to think what he's doing is perceived in a positive light (and given the nodding bobbleheads that seem to populate the influential community of WFU, it's not unreasonable for him to think that

He's always been surrounded by yes men from the day he came on board. [Redacted] ran off everyone with any standards or expectations of success. By the time Manning showed up, the folks left donating and hanging around the big donor events were those suffering from stockholm syndrome. They aren't going anywhere or saying anything negative no matter what Manning shits out on the court.

Why on earth would you voluntarily give up millions?

this. He'll be fired when Wake can afford it. No sooner. We can't afford an $18M, a $15M, a $12M buyout. Things probably become more realistic when he's down below $10M in 2022-2023. Saw some pics of the Joel last night and it was absolutely pathetic. Until he's gone and fans start coming back I don't see us landing any recruits who have offers from programs with a higher ceiling. Right now our ceiling is CBI bubble team.

Do I remember correctly that the buyout doesn't decrease until May 1?

RJ's not going into any further details but the buyout thing is RUSE.

Here's words he may only use 1-4 times in a year - "SOURCE". RJ knows his SOURCE and this SOURCE has never been wrong about anything Wake.

BTW, my thumb isn't your nose.

Manning will be gone at the end of the year. Based on what Mit Shah said at the dedication of the basketball facility I think it's a done deal. I think something the pH said about the contract not even starting and others saying that the buyout would be bad but significantly reduced after this year might have some legitimacy. It's probable that you would be subject to the full amount of the contract for termination before it began. Now that we are a year in the buyout in the contract kicks in. Could have been why they negotiated a week before retaining him trying to extend the buyout terms to before the contract even started?

Last edited:
Imagine getting paid millions of dollars for a job in an industry you love. You aren't getting results, at all. Yet, there is zero pressure from any of your contemporaries and you have full job security. Generally, people like and respect you. Why would you ever leave that situation?

like 90% of CEOs

Because your already have millions and don't enjoy consistently making a fool of yourself in public? Because you don't like to show yourself to be a failure for the world to see? Unless he just doesn't realize that he is a terrible coach, I can't imagine it is that enjoyable to know that you are going to suck at your job in a public manner for the next how ever many years. I'm sure he could fleece WF for several millions in an early buyout agreement, and then go and and make decent coin as an NBA asst, if he wants to keep coaching. It seems that would be more appealing than to embarrass yourself for 2 to 3 more years at Wake and almost assuredly go down as the worst coach in ACC history, based on the fact that you stuck around and lost for so many seasons.

He is not bright enough to realize how much he sucks. Just needs more time and a few good breaks.

If he wanted an exit with some saving grace, the time was last year.

The incompetence of Wellman is just beyond belief. First, anyone who has spent their career in business and interviewing job candidates should have been able to tell in 15 minutes that Danny has no charisma and is of questionable intellect. Second, the contract extension was so premature, unnecessary and poorly negotiated. Just blatant incompetence.

Do I remember correctly that the buyout doesn't decrease until May 1?
Even if so, WF can basically make Manning the equivalent of a post-June 1 NFL cut. He's not technically terminated from his contract until that date but WF has hired a new coach in the meantime. On paper/contractually, they could easily hire said coach as an AD employee if necessary before making the switch officially later. Bottom line is that contract dates (within reason) can be worked around if a party is motivated to do so. It happens regularly within & outside sports organizations.

Manning will be gone at the end of the year. Based on what Mit Shah said at the dedication of the basketball facility I think it's a done deal. I think something the pH said about the contract not even starting and others saying that the buyout would be bad but significantly reduced after this year might have some legitimacy. It's probable that you would be subject to the full amount of the contract for termination before it began. Now that we are a year in the buyout in the contract kicks in. Could have been why they negotiated a week before retaining him trying to extend the buyout terms to before the contract even started?

“the pH”

My acidic posts explain the basics.

I think the biggest “pressure” on Manning would be bad/embarrassing media coverage like asking questions as to why he is still coaching at Wake with his record. Also student demonstrations would be embarrassing to him and his family. I don’t think either will happen. If he doesn’t resign at the end of this season the only way he’s going out is with termination.

I think the biggest “pressure” on Manning would be bad/embarrassing media coverage like asking questions as to why he is still coaching at Wake with his record. Also student demonstrations would be embarrassing to him and his family. I don’t think either will happen. If he doesn’t resign at the end of this season the only way he’s going out is with termination.
Well the media pretty much asks that every day of basketball season

like 90% of CEOs

No way. CEOs have massive pressure for results from the board and stockholders. No way if Manning were a CEO would he retain the job for 7 years with year over year stock price slide.

I think Manning views this job like many NBA players do, as just another job. There's really no loyalty or deep desire. Of course he wants to win but he's not going to really scrap because the checks are rolling in fully guaranteed. Hiring a former NBA player as a college head coach has 99 percent of the time been a recipe for disaster.

No way. CEOs have massive pressure for results from the board and stockholders. No way if Manning were a CEO would he retain the job for 7 years with year over year stock price slide.

I think Manning views this job like many NBA players do, as just another job. There's really no loyalty or deep desire. Of course he wants to win but he's not going to really scrap because the checks are rolling in fully guaranteed. Hiring a former NBA player as a college head coach has 99 percent of the time been a recipe for disaster.

I HIGHLY doubt Manning really and truly gives a Flip about winning. He likes collecting the fat paycheck, shooting hoops with his friends (the players), and BSing the media after every game. In 6 years, not one time have I thought what Manning was doing on the sidelines is actual, real in game coaching. The dude is a statue, and never has shown any desire or competence on how to close out games. Only WFU does something this stupid and asinine - 18 Million buyout for a horrible coach..... I can only figure that the outrage over Bzdelick which was covered nationally has been replaced with complacency from fans and alums about Manning. No one cares anymore. No billboards, no emails, no one goes to games, which is the absolute perfect scenario for Mr. Manning to pile on the riches he has already collected. At the end of the day, Ron Wellman should never be allowed back on campus. Currie would be wise to stop complementing "his mentor" as well, or this shitshow will stain him as well.

Student demonstrations? Students would have to care before they would demonstrate. I mean, I’d love to see it but...

Back