• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

No relation between John and Joe Altobelli as mentioned...

The Red Wings released a statement Monday morning saying:

“One of the people killed in Sunday’s helicopter crash was baseball coach John Altobelli. He is not related to Red Wings Hall of Famer Joe Altobelli. Nonetheless, this is a terrible tragedy and the Wings send thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.”

ESPN is showing Kobe’s final game. For me, it’s tough to watch. Still can’t believe he’s gone.

Those of you that think RJ makes everything about him should look at LeBron’s statement to see how it’s really done.

Those marine fog layers are seemingly so random at times. Sometimes it can be bright and sunny at one location, but near zero visibility 2 miles down the road. And they can come and go very quickly. I'm guessing something along those lines is what happened here. Probably fine at takeoff, became really bad, pilot got disoriented, and tragedy happened.

This is probably a dumb question from someone who has never flown in a helicopter before, but could the pilot have just flown straight up and above the marine layer? They're typically very close to the ground, and I'm pretty sure choppers have no issue flying at 5,000-10,000 feet or so.

Only time I’ve ever been in helicopters was in Hawaii. We had to fly in and out of our research sites on the north east of Maui at 6 to 7 thousand feet elevation. We were never more than 1000 feet off the ground, it was just that the mountains were really high, so we were always at several thousand feet above sea level. Not sure if that answers your question, but atmospherically helicopters can handle much higher altitudes than 2k.

The 8 sec and 24 sec violations are some of the the most perfect tributes I've seen in sports.

ESPN is showing Kobe’s final game. For me, it’s tough to watch. Still can’t believe he’s gone.

Watched it on the plane just now. The crowd shots with Gigi are absolutely gut wrenching.

He used some form of "I" TWELVE times. He's the worst.

Yeah. The fact that he's being praised for that statement blows my mind. I've never been a huge LeBron guy, but the ego and lack of awareness that it takes to release a statement like that in a time like this.... I'll be pulling against him for the rest of his career.

Only time I’ve ever been in helicopters was in Hawaii. We had to fly in and out of our research sites on the north east of Maui at 6 to 7 thousand feet elevation. We were never more than 1000 feet off the ground, it was just that the mountains were really high, so we were always at several thousand feet above sea level. Not sure if that answers your question, but atmospherically helicopters can handle much higher altitudes than 2k.

I’m in the wrong line of work apparently.

Yeah. The fact that he's being praised for that statement blows my mind. I've never been a huge LeBron guy, but the ego and lack of awareness that it takes to release a statement like that in a time like this.... I'll be pulling against him for the rest of his career.

Feels like an overreaction. It's not that bad.

Feels like an overreaction. It's not that bad.

No, it's not that bad, but the problem I have with it is he makes it about him carrying on Kobe's legacy???? Kobe doesn't need anybody to carry on his legacy. Kobe's legacy is what it is. Seems to be a lot of good and bluntly, some bad too. I mean to make it about Kobe's legacy being his responsibility is too self-centered in my opinion, it's not always about you Lebron. Just be Lebron, be there for Kobe's family if they need you and let Kobe's legacy be what it is.

That, his on court constant whining, and his sucking China's dick has really caused me to root against LeBron

Back