• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

No, it's not that bad, but the problem I have with it is he makes it about him carrying on Kobe's legacy???? Kobe doesn't need anybody to carry on his legacy. Kobe's legacy is what it is. Seems to be a lot of good and bluntly, some bad too. I mean to make it about Kobe's legacy being his responsibility is too self-centered in my opinion, it's not always about you Lebron. Just be Lebron, be there for Kobe's family if they need you and let Kobe's legacy be what it is.

I don't think it's coming from a bad place, and he just lost a friend so maybe give him a little break? He's just saying he will continue what Kobe has done in being an ambassador to the game, being a positive role model, etc. Given what we all know about LeBron giving back, we should be past the point of questioning whether he's selfish person. Some of the LeBron hate is way over the top.

could be that Lebron is under pressure to put out a 'meaningful but authentic' IG post, has genuine feelings, and is also a super shitty writer

I have definitely been known to overreact, but it reads to me like he is, as he always seems to do, making it all about himself. The lines "it's my responsibility to put this shit on my back" and "I got us here" when in reference to a situation like this speak to an unchecked ego and a lack of anyone in his life looking at his social media output and saying, hey, maybe rethink that?

I have definitely been known to overreact, but it reads to me like he is, as he always seems to do, making it all about himself. The lines "it's my responsibility to put this shit on my back" and "I got us here" when in reference to a situation like this speak to an unchecked ego and a lack of anyone in his life looking at his social media output and saying, hey, maybe rethink that?

it’s a bit different being the current star of the lakers, wouldn’t you say?

it’s a bit different being the current star of the lakers, wouldn’t you say?

I get that. But like I said, it also reads like he's making it about himself. Although I'm often wrong.

But keep disagreeing with me and I'll challenge you in the Pit KUMITE!!!!!! I'll make you say MATTE!!!!!

bron is just under a lot of pressure to do right by all the Space Jam fans, ok guys?

I don't think it's coming from a bad place, and he just lost a friend so maybe give him a little break? He's just saying he will continue what Kobe has done in being an ambassador to the game, being a positive role model, etc. Given what we all know about LeBron giving back, we should be past the point of questioning whether he's selfish person. Some of the LeBron hate is way over the top.

You make a good point. I just don't know if it's right for Lebron to claim responsibility for Kobe's legacy now. I think you're right, it's probably coming from the right place, I just think he maybe could've worded it better. I mean Lebron has already assumed the role of ambassador to the game hasn't he? Lebron doesn't need to take on any extra responsibility for Kobe. Lebron should just take lessons learned from Kobe and continue applying them to his career and legacy. Kobe's wife and surviving children deserve all the focus now. However, you're right, he just lose someone close to him personally and professionally, so he does deserve a break.

Last edited:
Alright. So I probably shouldn’t have posted what I did. I knew it would get a reaction. I wasn’t trolling or anything, but I totally wasn’t getting the hero worship in all this. Yes, it’s premature and tragic, but the reaction seemed so disproportionate, and my remark was a reminder that maybe, just maybe, people were being a bit over the top. While he was cut down in the prime of his life, it was after his legacy as a ball player was firmly established and his career had ended. That is how people knew him— as a ball player. And that’s how they viewed him. So we weren’t deprived of him playing at all. We weren’t even really deprived of him as a public figure. His family was deprived of their father, which is the tragedy to me (not to mention the lives of others lost).

The reaction would be more understandable to me if this were a Roberto Clemente type of deal where he was killed while still playing and on a humanitarian mission. In today’s age— with mass media of all sorts— I guess we should expect more of these reactions. To me, I’m hit more in the gut when a musician dies, though the ones who affect me are the ones who have lived their lives and made decades of music to be remembered by. David Bowie would be a recent example for me. That is more tangible to me than fleeting sports moments, but to each his own.

As for tags and things, I’ve posted exclusively from Tapatalk for probably a year and a half now. If you can tag with Tapatalk, then it’s lost on me. I didn’t do any rape tags, and certainly didn’t do any shitty racist tags, although I didn’t see any of those either. Can’t the mods see who tagged?

Somebody should tag “5’6” light heavyweight “ though. Probably too many characters

ELC just trying to avoid all the first day challenges in the upcoming Bloodsport contest. Be a man, bro.

Ever think people in the media have asked him questions that led to this? Maybe something like, "now that Kobe is gone, will you be carrying on the Laker legacy?" Or many similar questions.

I'd be shocked if hundreds of media outlets from around the world haven't reached out to him about this. Some have likely tried multiple times. It would be almost impossible for him to have a second of privacy to deal with his own grief.

Like it or not, Lebron is the face of the NBA and he lost a friend Sunday. He and his team are being pulled in many directions. When that happens, people may not respond as some would like. I think he, or anyone else, would deserve the benefit of the doubt in such a situation.

They had a 24 second moment of silence before my daughter's HS varsity basketball game last night and another one before the boy's varsity game. I don't know, it felt a little over the top.

They had a 24 second moment of silence before my daughter's HS varsity basketball game last night and another one before the boy's varsity game. I don't know, it felt a little over the top.

It sounds like you are correct.

Back