• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you be excited if Beilein was the next Bball coach at Wake Forest?

Would you be excited if Beilein was the next Bball coach at Wake Forest?

• Yes

Votes: 134 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aside from probably not wanting this specific job, the only concern I'd have is if he is able to put in the kind of work that it'll take to turn this dumpster fire around. That concern is somewhat abated by the likelihood that he'll be highly motivated given how much of a shitshow his time in Cleveland turned out to be. I doubt he wants that to be his legacy after a largely successful coaching career.

as far as I know, Beilein has always had the reputation of being a very hard worker: I don't know why he would stop now

Yes, the instant return of credibility and legitimacy in terms of how to get it done. And he can flat out coach!! Perfect 5-6 year "gap" plan -- not gap insurance for JB mind you -- and puts us right back on the recruiting map and into the competitive mix in an admittedly weakened and transitioning ACC landscape. Get it done Currie!!

redo the poll to "Would you be excited if <literally anyone but manning and redacted> was the next Bball coach at Wake Forest?"

same results

Yes, the instant return of credibility and legitimacy in terms of how to get it done. And he can flat out coach!! Perfect 5-6 year "gap" plan -- not gap insurance for JB mind you -- and puts us right back on the recruiting map and into the competitive mix in an admittedly weakened and transitioning ACC landscape. Get it done Currie!!

He might want returning Wake Forest to the successful level enjoyed under Odom and Prosser for the last item on his resume before retirement. That would be better than "left Cleveland in disgrace after making unseemly remarks about his players" that is currently the last item on his coaching history.

Last edited:
This poll closes on my birthday! I voted yes! VIBES!

Beilein has the potential to land a Top 10 class to Wake Forest in Y1 or Y2 based on his name alone and a "come return Wake to #1" marketing plan. There's no one else we could hire, besides maybe Matta, who could pull that off. It's not a drawn out rebuild if done correctly. Two good classes and excellent coaching would have us competing in no time. By Y5/6, he can retire and we are in a great place to make another great hire. Pining for someone who will be here 10+ years is nice, but finding that person may mean hiring/firing 2-3 more coaches, and we don't have time for that shit right now.

I hear you. But if he's hired this Mar/Apr, he's not going to have a top 10 class for next year. Maybe the following year. And he would be here something like 3-6 years. That being the case, why would he want to come to a total reclamation project like Wake? And why did he hop to the NBA at his age in the 1st place? Again, you don't have to convince me he's a great coach. If he's coming back to the college ranks, I'd think he'd choose a situation that isn't quite so moribund. I'd much rather have Matta, provided his health would permit it.

I hear you. But if he's hired this Mar/Apr, he's not going to have a top 10 class for next year. Maybe the following year. And he would be here something like 3-6 years. That being the case, why would he want to come to a total reclamation project like Wake? And why did he hop to the NBA at his age in the 1st place? Again, you don't have to convince me he's a great coach. If he's coming back to the college ranks, I'd think he'd choose a situation that isn't quite so moribund. I'd much rather have Matta, provided his health would permit it.

The fact that he just jumped to the NBA at his age tells me he has plenty of runway left in his career. If he was burned out, he wouldn't have made that move. Seems like he wouldn't find the WFU situation daunting given his disillusionment with the NBA. Plus, everyone loves to play the hero.....

You people who think he's too old realize that he signed a huge 5-year contract with the Cavs 9 months ago, right ?

I get the sense that the reason he jumped to the NBA is that he was increasingly disenchanted with what college basketball has become. I think we would have a pretty good pitch that Wake is one of the few remaining "pure" collegiate programs.

I love Beilein as a coach and in retrospect would have preferred him to Prosser. That said, I voted no due to age. We're pretty much a total rebuild, and realistically I don't see him coaching that much longer. And why would he, at his age, want a total rebuild?

There really isn't a name out there who exactly excites me.

Titcr

It would really help if "James Sokolove" would learn that our new Athletic Director is not a bowl of Indian food.

Last edited:
Remember when we potentially passed on Larranaga because he was too old? How did that turn out? Beilein would be a very good hire.

Back