• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: Duke at WF - LJVM - Tuesday 7 pm - ACCN

Over the last 5 years our two legit 4 star players left early, and the rest of our team( regardless of recruiting stars has generally played no better than a three star level ). To blame individual players or coaching for our overall lack of talent is just mean spirited IMO.

It’s perfectly fine to blame that on coaching. Who else should be blamed?

Other than that, General agreement with your post. Was happy to see this crew get the win and have the 20 students who were in attendance witness something they’ll long remember.

Really enjoyed the win last night, but the more I marinate on it...

It still sucks that these moments are so special because they are so rare. A regular season home win against a conference opponent shouldn't be a game to remember for years.

The win is bittersweet because it illustrated that there are still a lot of Wake Forest basketball fans out there... It's just that we only get to celebrate a win like this once every couple of years instead of a few times each season.

If anything, the win showed that Manning needs to go ASAP.

Glad for the players. Even glad for Manning, to a degree. But victory laps on a regular season win where we could still very well finish the year at 12-19 are depressing.

Nobody I talked to today was like, "Wow, Wake might be turning the corner!" It was all, "Wow, I can't believe Wake beat Duke!" As in... Your team is really shitty... How did they manage to not step on their dicks this time out?

I enjoyed it too, but we still make some of the craziest turnovers I have ever seen:

* Neath was great, but he had about 4 drives - a few of which he got bailed out on and fouled (sort of) - where he was totally out of control - his shot was not blocked, he was at or near the basket, and the ball doesn't get above the bottom of the backboard - totally out of control. He's a frosh, but he is a PG
* Chaundee did the same twice. He's a junior. He led a 3-on-1 fast break and kept the ball and got fouled. Had two better options.
* Mucius on the floor at the end of the 1st OT was silly - passing him the ball was sillier, especially the 2nd time. Chill had the ball dribbling across half court with 11 seconds left. Hold the ball and get fouled!?!?
* What happened to Sharone? He is still on our roster but did not see hair or hide of him on the bench ... is there a family medical issue?
* We had exactly one possession with 4+ passes. We hit an open 3.
* With momentum in the 1st half, we actually played a lineup of Johnson, White, Mucius, Massoud, and Ody. It was a head scratcher. Shockingly, we had a difficult time getting a shot with that lineup.

I enjoyed it too, but we still make some of the craziest turnovers I have ever seen:

* Neath was great, but he had about 4 drives - a few of which he got bailed out on and fouled (sort of) - where he was totally out of control - his shot was not blocked, he was at or near the basket, and the ball doesn't get above the bottom of the backboard - totally out of control. He's a frosh, but he is a PG
* Chaundee did the same twice. He's a junior. He led a 3-on-1 fast break and kept the ball and got fouled. Had two better options.
* Mucius on the floor at the end of the 1st OT was silly - passing him the ball was sillier, especially the 2nd time. Chill had the ball dribbling across half court with 11 seconds left. Hold the ball and get fouled!?!?
* What happened to Sharone? He is still on our roster but did not see hair or hide of him on the bench ... is there a family medical issue?
* We had exactly one possession with 4+ passes. We hit an open 3.
* With momentum in the 1st half, we actually played a lineup of Johnson, White, Mucius, Massoud, and Ody. It was a head scratcher. Shockingly, we had a difficult time getting a shot with that lineup.

yeah

Shit that is really tough. Can’t imagine focusing on school, basketball or anything else with that going on. Hope Sharone Sr gets to a stable place soon.

It still sucks that these moments are so special because they are so rare. A regular season home win against a conference opponent shouldn't be a game to remember for years.

The win is bittersweet because it illustrated that there are still a lot of Wake Forest basketball fans out there... It's just that we only get to celebrate a win like this once every couple of years instead of a few times each season.

Glad for the players. Even glad for Manning, to a degree. But victory laps on a regular season win where we could still very well finish the year at 12-19 are depressing.

Nobody I talked to today was like, "Wow, Wake might be turning the corner!" It was all, "Wow, I can't believe Wake beat Duke!" As in... Your team is really shitty... How did they manage to not step on their dicks this time out?

Good post. While happy for the win and the players, I realized I was sad that this game meant nothing more than one game. I remember how exciting the 2003 2OT win over Duke was, and the 3 OT over Carolina the next season —we had good teams and those wins were important, and we had a future in the post season.

Sharone Wright Jr was on the bench and celebrated the win:

Jaylynn_Nash_LLC_WFMBB_02_25_20__6.jpg

Hope Brandon doesn't sell the movie rights to his life too cheaply:

Highlights of Dad setting records and hitting game winning shot to win ACC Tournament.
Shot of Dad's son in back yard shooting ball, pretending to be dad.
Son follows his dad to his alma mater.
Program is not the same. Struggles instead of success.
Doubters, critics, even self-doubt plague the son....for four years.
Senior season. Duke game. 0-10, 1 min to play....
You know how it ends. Emotional post-game interview. Carried off on shoulders.

We need a Wake movie with happy tears for a change.

Yes. I think last night’s game helped our ‘get rid of Manning’ cause in several ways.

One, it shows perspective coaches that there is some talent on the team and some spirit in the stands.

Two, as others have said, it demonstrates how Manning should’ve been doing more with this talent.

And three, it brings national attention to our moribund program, which I’ve been clamoring for. We should be mentioned more often with a ‘tsk tsk’ because we used to be good.

I disagree with this. Coming back from down 9 with 1:15 to play, and then winning in 2 OTs vs a top 10 Duke team is always going to be a game to remember, no matter the circumstances.

I disagree with this. Coming back from down 9 with 1:15 to play, and then winning in 2 OTs vs a top 10 Duke team is always going to be a game to remember, no matter the circumstances.

meh. Not so sure. Granted I turned off when we went down 9 when the Dukie made that shot off airball and foul, but even when happened to turn back on and catch end of 1st OT and through 2nd OT I really was numb and indifferent. Maybe it was genuine fear if a W could turn things around for Manning, but I remember how shocked I was on my indifference. Normally I'm shouting @ the TV and hollering for fouls, etc, but really didn't care if we won or not. As someone said earlier even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while and hard to get excited if a fluke and you know your team is trash and has no fundamentals.

And talk about melodramatic. Congrats to Brandon for the big W, but you have been on one of the worse WF teams over the last 4 years so lets not make it out as you being a world beater. That was almost comical.

Very encouraging to see the play of Neath and Sarr as Sarr was a beast and if he can ever figure out how to use his size to be an elite rebounder that young man could go places....

Other than that, General agreement with your post. Was happy to see this crew get the win and have the 20 students who were in attendance witness something they’ll long remember.

Yeah who else is there to blame for this? If the climate is one where players are frequently transferring then the coach has to land guys in the transfer market to replace the losses and if it's a climate where other teams don't have guys like we do leaving then that's on the coach to keep them.

Our new coach will have at least 3 players(Neath, Brown and Saar) to build around.

To be fair, the lower bowl student section was full so there were more than 20 students there last night.

Guy played professional ball, has had steady employment since his playing career ended, and still has to set up a GoFundMe page for medical procedures. Fuck Trump, Fuck the GOP, and Fuck our ridiculous healthcare system.

Lol yeah it’s Trump’s fault the current healthcare system is fucked up.

Back