• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Spring practice updates

The reality is that Masterson struggled at safety but shined at rover. Perhaps something else caused the light to go on, but we definitely don’t want to play one of our better players out of position.

How? They’re both the same size and would play a similar role in our defense. Other than the joke about same race comparisons that this board falls guilty of, we haven’t seen Masterson back there in two years. Players can learn to take better angles over time.

Easy. Muse is fast. Masterson isn’t .

I'm starting to get very excited when I think about our front 7. Greer will be a great DB and future pro IMO. Hopefully Masterson has improved because having a veteran out there will be huge.

That's 9 players...as mentioned before, if we can lock up steady corner play then we will have the best defense since clawson's first couple years.

Offense will be more than fine!

I'm not as hopeful as others that Jasir will be a legit CB1...Hope he proves me wrong!

Masterson was dramatically better last year prior to injury. I’ll never forget the first play of the ND game with him at safety a few years back. A 25 yard out and he was now where close trying to use closing speed. He need some DBs to step up. Masterson is a Swiss Army knife and solid but he is not a high level cover guy.

What position? Tight end, wide receiver or defense?

I doubt he was out there for more than a few minutes on a game day. It’s a cute stunt for Twitter. I’m sure Clawson would gladly welcome him to tryout after next season though. He definitely looks the part.

Got an alert on an ESPN+ article from Tom Luginbill listing Mitch Griffis as an Impact Freshman QB for next year.

Dear Lord, Chaundee looks like a replica of the mannequins they use for jersey presentations. Please come play TE next year Chaundee!

Spencer Clapp was hurt in Spring practice in the last day or two. Done for Spring and Clawson seems to think he's done for all of next year. I had him penciled in as a starting tackle, so that is a big big loss.

Almost guarantees Toms move to tackle. Nash, Rappleyear and even redshirt frosh Gordon are going to have to step up ...

Got an alert on an ESPN+ article from Tom Luginbill listing Mitch Griffis as an Impact Freshman QB for next year.

Saw that, gotta think he’s hearing something from someone close to the program because it’s not like Griffis is a 5* recruit. Would be very random to add him if not, especially with Hartman as the universally assumed QB in waiting.

No idea. Could just be lazy reporting. Freshman QB coming in after the starter transfers.

There are plenty of sites across the internet who think Griffis is the shit. Trust Clawson.

I think if you look at Griffis film, he looks like a better version of John Wolford, and we all know how that went. He’s a talent, and fits Wake’s offense marvelously. Assuming Sam is here another 3 years, Mitch would have at the very least 2 years (if he redshirts) where he could go out and be the starter. But he could end up getting a lot of PT because we know quarterbacks at Wake tend to have an injury at some point in the season, but or small.

Hartman will have to work, because like Luginbill, I see a lot of potential in this kid. I would hope coach doesn’t pull the experience card when Mitch Griffis is clearly the player that would help this team reach new heights, but Clawson is too smart for that. It’s why he always has an open competition at quarterback, he wants guys to compete and know that the job has to be earned. As people have said, there’s good chance that’s why Jamie left, because he knew he would have to go through another offseason where the coaches know that Sam played with Wake’s offense at end of 2019 better than Jamie.

This year though, it’s not going to happen. Griffis will redshirt, he may not even be on the 2 deep, which would be more than fine given Kern is a very viable option himself. Griffis needs to acclimate to college, learn the offense, and get the locker room’s support. He seems like a guy that will do what it takes to be the man at Wake. He was committed to Wake throughout the recruiting process strong, and promoted Wake to other recruits. I think he’s our future man down the road, but not yet.

Back