• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

The U.S. is about 100 times the size of South Korea. South Korea is roughly the size of Indiana. I’m not saying contact tracing is impossible or shouldn’t be ramped up significantly, but by sheer geographic scope, it’s a much more difficult task here than in South Korea.

So, non-politically, let's not try. So much wasted time and so many additional lives lost.

So, non-politically, let's not try. So much wasted time and so many additional lives lost.

It’s almost like you didn’t read my entire post. It was only three sentences long. Try again.

Last edited:
Seems like it’d be harder to figure out all the folks an infected person contacts when they’re packed in densely like SK.

Seoul has a higher population and population density than NYC and they have managed just fine.

Yeah its about a wash as far as difficulties, denser populated areas means you need to trace more people per a person simply by the nature of the number of people you come in contact with, however those people distance wise are often refined to a small area. Here you would need to trace less people, especially as you move to more rural areas but the distance required is enormous especially in the car culture we have. Suburbs and mixed use developments are about the worst possible obstacle to contact tracing, with wild swings in population density and distance traveled especially for work into cities.

At this point, I think scaling up testing via a centralized Federal Response would be impossible. Congress needs to give each state a blank check when it comes to funding testing and tracing, holding them accountable with a bipartisan appointed watchdog in each state. I would be skeptical of any Administration being able to scale up to what I consider an acceptable number (enough supply and manpower for 100 million tests per day) in just a few months. Of course, if we had done it earlier, that acceptable number would've been much lower.

Then, you actually have to make people take the tests. That's going to be another pain in the ass based on all the "MUH LIBERTIES" videos that are coming out. Think it's hard getting Karen to wear a mask? Try telling her she needs to come to get tested.

At this point, I think scaling up testing via a centralized Federal Response would be impossible. Congress needs to give each state a blank check when it comes to funding testing and tracing, holding them accountable with a bipartisan appointed watchdog in each state. I would be skeptical of any Administration being able to scale up to what I consider an acceptable number (enough supply and manpower for 100 million tests per day) in just a few months. Of course, if we had done it earlier, that acceptable number would've been much lower.

Then, you actually have to make people take the tests. That's going to be another pain in the ass based on all the "MUH LIBERTIES" videos that are coming out. Think it's hard getting Karen to wear a mask? Try telling her she needs to come to get tested.

The Inspector General for this plan has already been fired.

Study shows that we could have saved 60-90% of those who died by shutting down one to two weeks earlier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/...ing-deaths.html#click=https://t.co/y6pguS0k01

This being the case, how many people are we asking to die now to open things up?

half of the lives saved nationally would have been in New York, which would have reduced its own deaths by 80% or so. Are we blaming Georgia for not shutting down and causing a bunch of New York deaths?

half of the lives saved nationally would have been in New York, which would have reduced its own deaths by 80% or so. Are we blaming Georgia for not shutting down and causing a bunch of New York deaths?

Georgia has 1664 deaths. They could have reduced them. They should be reducing them now.

Georgia has 1664 deaths. They could have reduced them. They should be reducing them now.

Georgia also has a population of over 10.6 million people, 1.35 million of whom were on unemployment in April. So 0.016% of Georgia's population has died, 75% of whom were over age 65.

By comparison, in 2017 Georgia had 4,021 people die from car accidents, 1,423 from suicide, 1,537 from drug OD, and 1,565 from septicemia (which I have never even heard of). So where does Covid rank on the list of things that Georgia should shut down over? Relatively speaking, it seems like Georgia has done a pretty damn good job.

2017 is a whole year. These deaths have been in the last three months.

I don’t know why we have to keep explaining this.

Georgia also has a population of over 10.6 million people, 1.35 million of whom were on unemployment in April. So 0.016% of Georgia's population has died, 75% of whom were over age 65.

By comparison, in 2017 Georgia had 4,021 people die from car accidents, 1,423 from suicide, 1,537 from drug OD, and 1,565 from septicemia (which I have never even heard of). So where does Covid rank on the list of things that Georgia should shut down over? Relatively speaking, it seems like Georgia has done a pretty damn good job.

You've never heard of sepsis? Yet you come on here and lecture people about infectious diseases? This guy...

2017 is a whole year. These deaths have been in the last three months.

I don’t know why we have to keep explaining this.

It's unreal. Not to mention that you can't "catch" suicide and drug overdose from just being around others.

It's unreal. Not to mention that you can't "catch" suicide and drug overdose from just being around others.

No but state regulations can and do directly lead to depression, suicide, and drug overdoses.

What do you think we should do 2and2? I’m eager to hear.

When should we reopen? How should we do it? How do we get people to trust that they won’t get COVID (which is what is needed for a lot of businesses to stay afloat, not just being open)?

Just call me RJ because I can tell you one place I’m not going any time soon, the fucking dentist.

Back