• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

What is that guy getting at ? The dude's wife got $27,000 in PPP money, therefore he should be more than willing to pay a higher price for a burrito ? I don't think the intent of the PPP payouts was to fund spousal burrito habits.

Last edited:
business applies for emergency funds to pay for workers while business takes a dive

later, the owner goes to buy a burrito and complains about it costing more

was he supposed to use PPP money to buy burritos?

our business got a PPP loan; we ended up paying it back 100% because it turned out we didn't have to lay anyone off.

my mcdonald's order is $1.20 more than it was all of last year and it's pretty annoying

our business got a PPP loan; we ended up paying it back 100% because it turned out we didn't have to lay anyone off.

my mcdonald's order is $1.20 more than it was all of last year and it's pretty annoying

thoughts and prayers

The reasons I’ve given would explain 5 million fewer people in the workforce. No idea how legit that estimate is though. The margin of error on job estimates seems to be huge like it’s actually somewhere between 3-7 million.

As far as what’s different now as opposed to two years ago with restaurants, that’s pretty simple too. The restaurants who keep losing workers have probably would have just closed in the before time. During this pandemic, they’ve been propped up by PPP loans.

I can’t think of any restaurant in my neighborhood that closed during the pandemic. However, several have opened in the last 18 months. New construction, taking over spaces from other businesses, taking over restaurants that closed before the pandemic. Right off hand, there’s probably a dozen new spots in my zip code of about 70,000 new people.

I have seen statistics suggesting the restaurant industry brought in $250B less than pre-pandemic projections in 2020 and that over 10,000 restaurants closed - most of them long-standing, established places. I couldn't find stats for 2021 as the year just ended - I am sure there was a lot of recovery but would be surprised if the gain in new restaurants was enough to make up for that. Maybe so?
I know of several established places here that closed permanently - I am surprised that you don't know of any.

Otherwise, I am sure you are correct on the overall job situation.

i mean maybe he's just making an observation rather than a complaint (at least in the piece quoted in the tweet). not sure he needed to be put on PPP blast, which might have little or nothing to do with anything. how do we know the $37k didn't help his farming business and wasn't just a 'scam' use

Dude got his PPP as a Securities and Commodity Exchanges Sole Proprietorship. Apparently lives in a $1.3M house in one of the wealthiest suburbs of Chicago. I would love to know what kind of farming his wife does there.

And he stormed out because is big mad that Chipotle workers are now making $15 an hour.

He deserves his mild doxxing.

I have seen statistics suggesting the restaurant industry brought in $250B less than pre-pandemic projections in 2020 and that over 10,000 restaurants closed - most of them long-standing, established places. I couldn't find stats for 2021 as the year just ended - I am sure there was a lot of recovery but would be surprised if the gain in new restaurants was enough to make up for that. Maybe so?
I know of several established places here that closed permanently - I am surprised that you don't know of any.

Otherwise, I am sure you are correct on the overall job situation.

I'm curious how those numbers compared to restaurant closures in any given year. 10,000 seems really low.

Like I said, most of the places around here closed before the pandemic started. It's been pretty stable the last two years. In fact, one of the last things I did before the pandemic was attend a local town hall with the mayor about why so many restaurants and local businesses were failing. They presented the results of study commissioned to examine the problem. I can only speak for my neighborhood, but the restaurant scene has picked up significantly over the last 18 months.

I'm curious how those numbers compared to restaurant closures in any given year. 10,000 seems really low.

Like I said, most of the places around here closed before the pandemic started. It's been pretty stable the last two years. In fact, one of the last things I did before the pandemic was attend a local town hall with the mayor about why so many restaurants and local businesses were failing. They presented the results of study commissioned to examine the problem. I can only speak for my neighborhood, but the restaurant scene has picked up significantly over the last 18 months.

Thanks, DeSantis.

the guy said he goes to chipotle 5 times a year, and he told a reporter he went to chipotle for his quintannual burrito and didnt buy it because it went up 50 cents

i dont know what this thread is about anymore but that guy fucking sucks

I’m still waiting for my first positive test. Had a kid in the car on Saturday with my son for 30 minutes. He tested positive yesterday but we feel fine.

Evangeline Lilly is against vaccine mandates. I don't care she's still hot.

Back