• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

privatize gains, socialize lossess

At the end of 2008, I said that elements of TARP were going to come back to bite us in the ass. We didn't get the poison out of the economy. Looking at the CARES act and it's progeny, I'm blown away that the biggest impact from TARP was that, "yeah, this is now a viable path to just push the poison to next year" was the result. TARP+CARES+progeny are a bigger threat to American democracy than WWII was.

if you're still banking with Wells Fargo after the last decade of shit then it is your own fault.

I don't personally bank with them, but lots of small businesses and mortgage owners don't have many other options. And WF knows it.

Help me out here. CDC and WHO told us that wearing maskes wasn't recommended. Now it's recommended that we wear something even though it's not going to block the microparticles that cause the virus. Am I missing something ?

Keep you from spreading your shit if you’re asymptomatic.

how, if the virus gets through masks?

note: i went to HT yesterday with no mask or gloves.

how, if the virus gets through masks?

note: i went to HT yesterday with no mask or gloves.

My assumption is that it decreases the amount that you’re breathing into the air and leaving on surfaces, not completely eliminates it. Let me go ask a community organizer and I’ll get back to you.

Help me out here. CDC and WHO told us that wearing maskes wasn't recommended. Now it's recommended that we wear something even though it's not going to block the microparticles that cause the virus. Am I missing something ?

Masks work. They are especially good at keeping an infected individual from spreading a virus to others. However, they can also increase the amount one touches their face (not good) and provide a false sense of security, because they certainly are not perfect.

The initial recommendations were to prevent the public from buying massive amounts of masks so healthcare workers could not get them.

Masks work. They are especially good at keeping an infected individual from spreading a virus to others. However, they can also increase the amount one touches their face (not good) and provide a false sense of security, because they certainly are not perfect.

The initial recommendations were to prevent the public from buying massive amounts of masks so healthcare workers could not get them.

This is somewhat specious. The "don't touch your face" directive was really "don't touch your nose and mouth" since that's where the majority of germs originate. Certainly germs originate elsewhere, but a mask covers the problem areas.

There's a reason dentists, surgeons, and other health workers wear masks during non-pandemic, everyday situations. It's not about catching something. It's about not transmitting what you have.

This is somewhat specious. The "don't touch your face" directive was really "don't touch your nose and mouth" since that's where the majority of germs originate. Certainly germs originate elsewhere, but a mask covers the problem areas.

There's a reason dentists, surgeons, and other health workers wear masks during non-pandemic, everyday situations. It's not about catching something. It's about not transmitting what you have.

I thought it was more about touching surfaces then touching your skin or your eyes.

Exactly they lied to the populace to try and stop a run on masks. Instead of just being honest about what was going on.

Just in case anyone is eager for more information on the Spanish Flu in North Carolina and Charlotte. This link contains an interview with the state's foremost expert on that event and parts of her dissertation.

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/charlottes-other-big-pandemic

Q. As far as the effect of the disease, how does it compare?

Overall, North Carolina’s mortality rate was about 325 per 100,000. For the nation, it was about 299 per 100,000. We were a little higher.

In North Carolina, the total dead that were recorded was about 13,700, just in North Carolina alone. Those numbers will always be rough, because reporting was just starting to become standardized. A lot of the rural counties, we’ll never know.

[As of Friday, state health officials said the coronavirus is responsible for 74 North Carolina deaths, a rate of less than 1 per 100,000 residents.]

Q. How quickly did society return to what it was before?

It seemed to snap back really quickly. Everybody had that sense of that bored attitude toward it and the government telling you to put it behind you and focus on the returning soldiers. Life tended to snap back fairly quickly. By early 1919, you had some businesses suing the local board of health for keeping them from making a profit.

Q. In the flu pandemic, what was closed?

It was similar to what they are doing today. They closed down most businesses. Movie theaters are the ones who came together to sue the board of health in Rock Hill. Grocery stores would stay open. They only allowed a certain number of people in at a time. With schools, everything closed down for the rest of they year, which was big, because starting in late September, schools across the state started shutting down. Some tried to open up but then would have to close again. After the third closure, they decided to stay closed.

Around here, they reopened in late December. The virus kept popping up. They had to keep closing school intermittently.

Most people stayed home. People were complaining that they couldn’t go out and get cold drinks and they couldn’t go out to do anything. Nobody was having parties. It seemed like they were taking the directions seriously.

What was interesting was that if you think about authors like Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald, they all lived through it, and they all knew people who died from it, but it didn’t come through in any of their writing. It’s like they dealt with it and moved past it. I don’t know if I see that happening with this for a while.

Q. How will history remember this pandemic?

Because people don’t write as many letters anymore, one thing is we’re not going to have that record of what people were really thinking or feeling. We’re going to have a lot of opinions about “Tiger King,” but we’re not going to know how are people really thinking about this.

You read in all the letters in 1918 about fear. Fear was ever-present. When people look back on this episode, they’re not going to get the same thing. You’re missing that human record.

Advice from the governor
N.C. Gov. Thomas Bickett, in a statement on Oct. 3, 1918:

The disease is due to spit swapping. Spit is swapped or exchanged … by coughing or sneezing into the air instead of a handkerchief. In open coughing or sneezing into the air instead of into a handkerchief an invisible spray is thrown several yards into the air and floats from 30 to 60 minutes. The greater the spraying, as in psychic waves of coughing that pass through assemblages, moving picture shows, churches and other gatherings the denser and more potent to the infectious atmosphere …

A great many soda fountains maintain a small collection of water practically hidden beneath the counter or slab where the spit germs of the town are pooled and re-distributed. …

As for sterilized glasses, well how do you know they are sterilized? Take no chance. Demand a paper cup even if it costs you more.

DON’TS

Don’t associate with the impolite and careless, who spray you with their spit.

Don’t go to unnecessary public gatherings while the epidemic is on. Put your moving picture show money in thrift stamps.

Don’t use a roller towel.

Don’t patronize a soda fountain that does not use paper cups. …

Public officials can do little to protect you. You can do a great deal to protect yourself.

ETu3KIhX0AEQYDJ

ETu3Rn2XQAEyEjj

We’re trying to develop contingency plans for surviving without football revenue next year. Guess how that’s going.

Back