• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which of the "seven deadly sins" would you promote to virtue status?

Which sin gets promoted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robert M. Pirsig

Reaction score
Think carefully before you vote. Consider that the scope of these sins is wide, and that your vote legitimizes the entire scope of that "sin," not just a tiny window. (e.g. Sloth - not just the act of avoiding work, but moving slowly, carefully)

You're on a heavenly committee to promote one of the traditional "seven deadly sins" to virtue status. Your choice will have direct, material consequences for the living on Earth, who will immediately consider what was once discouraged to be an endearing trait among humans. They will quickly rationalize the new virtue to its fullest extent, discovering new benefits and disadvantages from a life lived embracing a trait once discouraged to be evil.

Tags: tkory weird as shit, gutton for punishment

Isn't Greed already an accepted virtue in our society?

Leaning towards Lust as I think it would have the least harmful effect, but not ready to bote yet.

Pride is the only correct answer and it is better than any other answers. Taking pride in your work, tasks, family, and community is an overall benefit to society. Thus, it is a virtue. Maybe the best virtue.

Which of the "seven deadly sins" would you promote to virtue status?

Pride is the only correct answer and it is better than any other answers. Taking pride in your work, tasks, family, and community is an overall benefit to society. Thus, it is a virtue. Maybe the best virtue.

It literally goeth before the fall. Hubris is a huge aspect of the most tragic figures throughout history.

The correct answer is sloth. The world would be a better place if everyone slowed the fuck down.

Pride is the most dangerous deadly sin. Many of the sins are hard to impact more than one other person, most of the sins have a difficult time impacting a large group of people. However, pride is the sin that can topple empires; destroy societies.

The bible is the only reason lust is a sin so... have it it.

I guess lust without greed would be tolerable. Also makes me re evaluate greed as an appropriate answer.

The Christians are bored, I see.

Pride is the most dangerous deadly sin. Many of the sins are hard to impact more than one other person, most of the sins have a difficult time impacting a large group of people. However, pride is the sin that can topple empires; destroy societies.
agree with this.

FWIW, I'm an atheist as well.
If I was to answer this question, I guess I'd go with "elevating" "lust" from "sin" to "virtue."
But, honestly, don't the clergy do that plenty already with certain members of their various flocks?

Lust, of course. Americans, in particular, are way too fucking prudish.

Lust can be a compounding problem for other sins (greed, anger, etc). On it's own it's perfectly fine.

Definitely sloth. Nothing wrong with deliberate idleness and ethical hedonism. Busyness is overrated

As a nation of fatties, I think gluttony has already been chosen. When is the last time you heard a sermon on gluttony? Preachers don't want to cross the fat housewives in the pews.

The Perfect Policy President agrees pridefully

Back