• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I hate shopping (unless its the local dispensary, yo :cool:) but went to Costco to get a new TV the other day and it was white middle-aged women without the masks on. I tried to glare at them and give them my best stink eye and zero shits were given by them.

Glad you didn't glare at me.
Just came back from Costco in Augusta today and the only mask on me was left in my car.
Vaccinated up the wazoo (including boosters), why would I?

Glad you didn't glare at me.
Just came back from Costco in Augusta today and the only mask on me was left in my car.
Vaccinated up the wazoo (including boosters), why would I?

If they ask you to do it and you don’t, it makes you an asshole
If they don’t ask you to then why are you posting on the topic

So, per your CDC map, generally the only widespread places the CDC says you DON'T need to mask indoors are in Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and South Dakota. So as usual, the exact opposite of what one would conclude from the experts on this board.

weird take away from the map/data

It is interesting that many southern states are likely getting close to hitting heard immunity, while other states that have done a better job with social distancing/masking are going to get hit hard this winter.

If they ask you to do it and you don’t, it makes you an asshole

On that we can agree. Didn't realize your Costco "asked" you to mask before entering. That help?

Yeah what I figured. Most places here still require masks, vaccinated or not. Folks who spitefully waddle their lardasses unmasked through such places are simply immature assholes.

So, per your CDC map, generally the only widespread places the CDC says you DON'T need to mask indoors are in Georgia (11), South Carolina (13), Florida (10), Alabama (3), Mississippi (1), Louisiana (4), Texas (20), Arkansas (8), Missouri (32), and South Dakota (14). So as usual, the exact opposite of what one would conclude from the experts on this board.

I have updated your statement with the state ranking by number of COVID deaths per 1 million people. #1 is the worst, meaning the most COVID deaths per 1 million people. It is also worth noting that since March 1, 2021 (when vaccines were widely available), Florida is #1 in deaths per million people.

You are spreading disinformation on the internet. You should ask yourself why you do that, and if that is a helpful thing to do.

I'm not spreading any disinformation, the CDC prepared the map, not me. And the CDC's map indicates that the areas that the CDC does not deem community spread is high enough to warrant wearing masks indoors are in those states listed. Take your disinformation on the internet claims up with the CDC.

I'm not spreading any disinformation, the CDC prepared the map, not me. And the CDC's map indicates that the areas that the CDC does not deem community spread is high enough to warrant wearing masks indoors are in those states listed. Take your disinformation on the internet claims up with the CDC.
You are correct 2&2, but when you step back, those listed states are the very states that had the earliest delta surges and consequently high death rates hospitalizations and community transmission. From the Cone Health estimates the delta variant surge would be sharp, rapid and run its course the same way because most of the population in those areas were exposed and got the disease leading to high hospitalizations and deaths but ultimately lower transmission rates( because there are almost no people left to contract the disease in this form). So I guess you can claim victory for the wise leaders of those states rather than the tremendous failure of leadership that in actuality that it was.

The disinformation isn't the map - it is completely accurate that spread is currently lower in the southeast US. The disinformation is you writing, "So as usual, the exact opposite of what one would conclude from the experts on this board." Nobody on this board claimed that rates of spread would be high in FL or GA on October 28th, 2021. Nobody. That is all you spreading disinformation. You should think about why you do that.

Covid waves clearly follow a seasonal pattern. That is why states like Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and Hawaii all had spikes in early September, and why northern states are experiencing spikes now.

Interesting, though, is that while Florida had 80 people per 100,000 hospitalized due to Covid, and Georgia and Mississippi both had roughly 60 per 100,000, Hawaii kept their numbers down around 30 per 100k

Across the northern states, the New England States are all peaking at around 15 per 100k, while Montana, Idaho and Wyoming, have all peaked around 40-50 per 100k. Interesting.

The peaks seem to happen when people are forced indoors due to weather. Summer and early Fall in the south. Late Fall, early Winter in the north.

Covid waves clearly follow a seasonal pattern. That is why states like Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and Hawaii all had spikes in early September, and why northern states are experiencing spikes now.

Interesting, though, is that while Florida had 80 people per 100,000 hospitalized due to Covid, and Georgia and Mississippi both had roughly 60 per 100,000, Hawaii kept their numbers down around 30 per 100k

Across the northern states, the New England States are all peaking at around 15 per 100k, while Montana, Idaho and Wyoming, have all peaked around 40-50 per 100k. Interesting.

Good info on the rates. My only caveat would be that term "seasonal" gets used a lot in terms of COVID, which I think is a bit misleading. It clearly happens in regional waves that run for about 2 months, but the timing of those waves was a bit different in 2020 vs 2021, and the season in which the regional wave spiked in the southeast (summer) is going to be different than the season in which it spikes in the northeast (fall). So I'm not sure it is temp, humidity, sunlight, or even indoor vs outdoor activity (though this variable is slightly more convincing) that drives COVID waves.

Rafi, if it makes you feel any better, literally 0% of this board believes anything 2&2 says on Covid, so I don't really think you could say his disinformation is spreading.

Rafi, if it makes you feel any better, literally 0% of this board believes anything 2&2 says on Covid, so I don't really think you could say his disinformation is spreading.

I get my COVID updates strictly from 2&2, but I fact check them with Tucker Carlson. So far, 2&2 has been completely accurate with his takes.

Back