• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's In Your Kitchen?

Having the dedicated hood is great. One of my favorite features of our house. The other is the double ovens.

my in-laws have an Aga stove and I fucking hate that thing. It looks cool in the kitchen, but I hate that you can't adjust the temperature at all and the ovens (all 4 of them at different temps) are pretty small. It's really hard to get something to simmer since the 2 stovetop burners are very hot. They love the thing but to me it's hella annoying to cook on.

my in-laws have an Aga stove and I fucking hate that thing. It looks cool in the kitchen, but I hate that you can't adjust the temperature at all and the ovens (all 4 of them at different temps) are pretty small. It's really hard to get something to simmer since the 2 stovetop burners are very hot. They love the thing but to me it's hella annoying to cook on.

They seem really cool in concept since they are always on, and they do look awesome, but I've wondered how they perform. I read some stuff about how they are not really good for home cooks. But it was a non-starter for us since we would have had to spend a ton of money to reinforce the floor since they are so heavy.

The hood has definitely been a game-changer. We used to set off the smoke alarm almost every time we cooked, even if there was not much smoke. Since we got the hood we haven't set it off once. Worth every penny.

They seem really cool in concept since they are always on, and they do look awesome, but I've wondered how they perform. I read some stuff about how they are not really good for home cooks. But it was a non-starter for us since we would have had to spend a ton of money to reinforce the floor since they are so heavy.

I wanna say the hottest oven is like 400 or something, which means you couldn't cook a pizza (if it wouldn't even fit) or really crisp something up (no broiler either).

the only things I like are that the hotter burner can get your water boiling asap and there's this panel where you can set stuff on to keep warm.

Here’s my coffee making devices.

UTB83xiuCarFXKJk43Ovq6ybnpXaV.jpg

61SOGudwVKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

grinder_side.jpg

61TfS5imJfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

91%2BXlmZcLoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81VdBYmB6nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Grind beans, stir with wooden spoon into simmering filtered water. Pour through filter in glass dripper as quickly as able (extraction is in the pot) into thermal carafe.

Makes very good coffee. You can experiment with beans, grind, time in the pot, degree of stirring, etc.

We ordered a new coffee maker back in January but there have been delivery problems and then the virus so we still don't have it. But I'm pretty excited.

images

Last edited:
Here’s my coffee making devices.

UTB83xiuCarFXKJk43Ovq6ybnpXaV.jpg

61SOGudwVKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

grinder_side.jpg

61TfS5imJfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

91%2BXlmZcLoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81VdBYmB6nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Grind beans, stir with wooden spoon into simmering filtered water. Pour through filter in glass dripper as quickly as able (extraction is in the pot) into thermal carafe.

Makes very good coffee. You can experiment with beans, grind, time in the pot, degree of stirring, etc.

tag/resize coffee you ass

I know how to make good coffee, not how to resize images.

Btw, that specific steel filter is key. Most are double layered and take wag too long to pour through with my method.

This is where I landed on the charcoal chimney. I was a firm believer in the cast iron skillet until I gave the chimney a go. A major key in getting a good crust on a sous vide steak is making sure it’s as dry as possible before searing. They come out of the bag pretty wet, so you definitely need to dry it off.

Do any of the sous vide folks use a vacuum sealer? I just use a zip lock. Have been thinking about getting a vacuum sealer but there are so many options to weed through at so many different price points.

The inside of those steaks looks horrible. It's probably because it's so much different looking than when I cook on the grill. I'm guessing they taste good and I am eating better looking but inferior cooked meat.

Our most used/beloved kitchen items:
-le cruset dutch oven
-allclad pots and pans (working on using them to their fullest potential, but love the sturdiness, consistency, and versatility)
-burr grinder, chemex, and reusable filter
-stand mixer
-vitamix
-this one-piece silicone spatula thing that's less flexible than an actual spatula but has just enough bend to be perfect for scraping at a pot/lifting up the browned bits of things.

this recipe came out excellent in my Instant Pot: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/03/pressure-cooker-butter-chicken.html

you broil the chicken while the sauce cooks which means you get some nice char on the chicken

another piece of equipment we have is a cheap blade coffee grinder for spices. I actually have another of the same model I use for coffee. I know a burr grinder would be better but I don't care that much.

Weird/cool story is that like 8 years ago in a family Christmas "crappy gift" game I got a 90's era Panasonic coffee grinder that was in the original box, and it turned out to be very in-demand and I sold it on ebay for $200.

Probably my most used piece of equipment next to my skillet or knives is a variable temp gooseneck kettle for coffee. Gets water to the temp I need in two minutes or so.

le creuset dutch oven
le creuset braiser
Scanpan nonstick skillet
Lodge cast iron skillet
some calphalon
Vitamix
Kitchen Aid stand mixer
Cuisinart food processor
some hand blender

someone recommend a good cutting board that won't crack and doesn't weigh a ton?

note: i feel like i put mineral oil on my boards once a month and they still always crack

You’re hand washing right? Not dishwasher?

this recipe came out excellent in my Instant Pot: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/03/pressure-cooker-butter-chicken.html

you broil the chicken while the sauce cooks which means you get some nice char on the chicken

another piece of equipment we have is a cheap blade coffee grinder for spices. I actually have another of the same model I use for coffee. I know a burr grinder would be better but I don't care that much.

lol I am reading this thread too late, we just did this recipe last night.. our instant pot has been fickle as fuck lately actually sealing and getting to pressure though, so got the dreaded burn alert not once, but twice (even after adding more liquid), and then just abandoned ship and moved the sauce to the le crueset to simmer/finish it there (still tasted great)

so le creset is #1 kitchen item for sure, for dependability

immersion blender is something I also fucking love, because of recipes like that one being so much easier AND it made our potato soup recipe way way easier too, as a bonus can also whip up homemade mayonnaise for sandies:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

oh - also, I know Alton Brown likes to shit on one-function items, but one-function things we LOVE:
Zojirushi Rice Maker - we use it twice a week at least
Water Boiler/dispenser (same brand as the rice maker) - when we re-do the kitchen (eventually), we'll straight-line some HOT water, but until then, this thing is awesome and we keep it full/ready to dispense all the time. It's basically an electric kettle with a dispense function.
Waffle maker - there is no substitute.

Yes. You should finish almost everything you sous vide in a pan. I’ve found for steaks that the best way is to finish it over a chimney full of charcoal.

Resurrecting this thread to agree with this way to finish a steak. Super easy to get the chimney jet engine hot and you don’t smoke up the house.

I didn’t give the sous vide enough credit for its versatility. It’s been a rockstar this quarantine, just today I used it to cook chicken breast with herbs for lunch salads this week, a pitcher of cold brew coffee and a porterhouse steak.

Back