• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I think Skip was right. In the big picture usually the team with the most NBA players (to be) is going to win. Only when both teams have roughly the same qualitative NBA players does “x”s And “o”s matter largely.

Plenty of people have said Miller would be an option at Wake over the last couple years. And he should be. He shouldn’t have been 8 years ago. That’s insane.

Re: Odom how many coaches have ever gone America East straight to ACC? Any?

Manning has recruited multiple players from basketball factories and online schools that struggled to qualify...and they weren't even that good at basketball.

i saw on multiple outlets today (including ESPN) saying manning was a great recruiter. wtf am i missing?

Miller should be on the list. He shouldn't be at the top of the list.

I'm cool with Forbes but if it's him I'd be really curious to know why it isn't Beilein. If we can't match his salary or he's just not interested, totally fair, but I'd want to know we went after him hard.

Plenty of people have said Miller would be an option at Wake over the last couple years. And he should be. He shouldn’t have been 8 years ago. That’s insane.

Re: Odom how many coaches have ever gone America East straight to ACC? Any?

And if one were to do it, it should be Becker, not Odom.

i saw on multiple outlets today (including ESPN) saying manning was a great recruiter. wtf am i missing?
He's been treated with kids gloves by the media for 6 years. No one wants to admit that a great player is an utter failure of a coach. Many in the media grew up watching him play.

per ESPN article:
"Recruiting wasn't the biggest issue for Manning (he consistently landed ESPN 100-caliber recruits)"

maybe espn is saying that because they suck at ranking recruits?

He's been treated with kids gloves by the media for 6 years. No one wants to admit that a great player is an utter failure of a coach. Many in the media grew up watching him play.

That and people try to find nice things to say. He landed some good recruits, missed on many others. Manning's name and resume will always open some recruiting doors. He was above average at coaching bigs, below average at everything else.

That's the problem. Xs & Os and working with a team shouldn't be an issue.

I think the NBA might step in as they are looking to have a female HC soon and she's at the top of the list now. There could be pressure on her to say no to a college job.

Several NBA teams have had the opportunity to hire her and passed over her in favor of other candidates. She's been waiting in the wings for a few years now. This might be an opportunity for her to push the NBA into making the leap or seeing her leave.

I have no idea whether she would have any interest in coaching college. She was the first woman coach who came to mind who might fit. Hiring her would get Wake a lot of buzz around the country. First woman coach at a D1 men's major sport.

Without having any recruiting experience, she would need a strong recruiter assistant. I suspect she would polarize recruits. Some guys would have none of playing for a woman coach. Others would be intrigued and look forward to the opportunity to be first. Her cred working for Pop and the Spurs would help this second position. Lotta moms might welcome her with open arms.

And if one were to do it, it should be Becker, not Odom.

He’s the only one that should do it. Odom’s best two arguments for upward mobility right now are 1) they won a massive game and 2) the program is considerably better than it ever has been. The downsides are 1) UMBC is miles away from ACC level 2) UMBC is miles away from where ETSU and UNCG are 3) even with the massive win over UVA the team still didn’t win their regular season and finished three games back of Vermont 4) no way to know about recruiting at even a mid major level (much less high major level) 5) overall experience and 6) never had a top 150 team in KenPom and last year the team was bottom 100.

Becker in his career at Vermont has never won fewer than 20 games in a season. In the most recent four seasons, his teams lost a total of five conference games. They won at least 25 games each season, and won four conference titles.

Says to me that he was able to get a lot out of guys he inherited, then was able to fill in behind them with some good (better) players.

Last edited:
Becker’s worst season per KP at Vermont through 9 seasons is better than Odom’s best. They did inherit vastly different programs but yeah.

I'm really glad Wes and Pat are on our short list.

If I had to predict at this point, I would say they will continue to be connected for decades with Pat coaching WF and Wes coaching UNC.

I know, crazy predictions, I'm insane. Who would have ever suggested John Currie would be our AD and Kelsey or Miller would be coaching candidates for Wake. Insanity I realize.

If we’re going with one of those 2, I’ll take Kelsey over Miller all day. Still, 2 LOWF hires at this point. With people like Beilein, Forbes, and Matta available, why are you so obsessed with 2 mediocre coaches who haven’t proven shit?

If we’re going with one of those 2, I’ll take Kelsey over Miller all day. Still, 2 LOWF hires at this point. With people like Beilein, Forbes, and Matta available, why are you so obsessed with 2 mediocre coaches who haven’t proven shit?

They have proven quite a lot. But that's not why I've wanted them since 2009. They are young, smart, and hungry. Anyone paying attention knew they would get to this point in life. And they will each get much further.

Young, smart and hungry kicks the shit out of rich and dumb any day.

Even if we can't get them now (though i'm told Kelsey is overtly interested), I do hope we get someone who falls in the young, smart, and hungry category.

Hiring coaches has nothing to do with who accomplished what. Otherwise, we'd hire Bob Knight. It's about who can give us the best chance at a 30 year run. And that's Wes, Pat, or Russell. If we hire them and they fail, fire them and hire the next young, smart and hungry one.

Ok you guys have beaten all candidates around the bush for the last 6-8 hours now. In my book anyone is better than DFL.

What do we think time line is for new hire? Tuesday would be my guess. I feel Curry already has it lined up and is working out contract details.

Just my .02

They have proven quite a lot. But that's not why I've wanted them since 2009. They are young, smart, and hungry. Anyone paying attention knew they would get to this point in life. And they will each get much further.

Young, smart and hungry kicks the shit out of rich and dumb any day.

Even if we can't get them now (though i'm told Kelsey is overtly interested), I do hope we get someone who falls in the young, smart, and hungry category.

Hiring coaches has nothing to do with who accomplished what. Otherwise, we'd hire Bob Knight. It's about who can give us the best chance at a 30 year run. And that's Wes, Pat, or Russell. If we hire them and they fail, fire them and hire the next young, smart and hungry one.

giphy.gif

Back