• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I think the fact that he negotiated down his Cavs buyout shows he'd like another shot in college.

Musselman not Middleton :)

Sounds like he really found out pretty quick he was out of place in the position he was in and was willing to give up some money for the good of the organization. Obviously, could be wrong.

spellcheck i suppose made the decision to make me look like a buffoon , thanks

Why would he care about the Cavs? His entire association with them was less than a year and he was fired.

I think your position would have made sense at UM or WVU, but he has no allegiance to the Cavs.

If we do hire Wes Miller ( not anywhere near the top of my list) and he leaves for UNC in 4 or 5 years then holy shit would that be a good thing. That would mean that he had had huge success at Wake and turned our program around. I'd be ok with that. Plenty of reasons not to hire Miller, but leaving for UNC is not one of them.

Dayton loses the soul of their squad this offseason. Any chance Grant wants to make a move while he is “hot”?

Currie isn’t hiring Wes Miller. He’s going to look to make a statement and Wes Miller is the epitome of a dull, non-inspiring LOWF hire. We should expect better. Nothing against the guy - his family are great Deacs and he’s don’t a really good job at UNCG. But he needs another stop and 5 years before he’s ready for the ACC.

Our last two hires when we were a good program were [Redacted] and Manning—2 total losers. Now we’re a total joke of a program. If Miller goes somewhere else and wins for 5 more years he sure as shit isn’t coming to Wake Forest. Who the fuck do you think we are at this point?

Our last two hires when we were a good program were [Redacted] and Manning—2 total losers. Now we’re a total joke of a program. If Miller goes somewhere else and wins for 5 more years he sure as shit isn’t coming to Wake Forest. Who the fuck do you think we are at this point?

Wake is a P6 school in one of the top basketball conferences in the country. It is a school with magnificent practice and training facilities for the basketball team. It is a unique school that has lots of positive attributes that support big time athletics.

A school with multiple NBA players who actively support the school, and will drop by at appropriate times.

If I'm a coach, I think, "if I add two studs to what's here, I can get to .500 in the league and an NCAA berth."

Dayton is his alma mater and he didn't do well at Bama.

I know he went to Dayton, but doesn’t mean the ACC wouldn’t be appealing to him. It sounds like you wouldn’t be happy if Currie hires Grant.

Neither Skip nor Clawson had any previous Wake ties, yet both instantly got what Wake was about and how to build a program at this school. Coaches don’t need to experience what Wake is to know how to succeed here.

This. Get the best coach possible because a good coach will figure things out.

Notice how buried the Manning story is in the sports world tonight. It's already old news. There is nothing going on in sports. And it's still a nonstory. All they know is Manning is out and the Wake Forest job is open. Next.

No one is thinking "gee, I wonder how that litigation will turn out." "Did they treat him fairly?" "How did they word his dismissal?" "Was he fired for cause? Is that ok?"

No one gives a flying shit nor does any future Coach give a crap about any of that.

It's the WF job and here is what they see:

It's the kid brother on tobacco road. A solid ACC job.
New practice facilities on par around the ACC.
Horrible home civic arena.
Fan base gone.
No other jobs out there and may not be any like it this year.

That's all they are thinking. Great job Currie having the balls to open this job now and so now we are the only one out there. Great job Mit and Sutton for helping with the buyout and the new facilities.

Everything we can control after Wellman's disasters, we now have. Great work.

Myths you heard on these boards which you can now see were false:
1) Firing Miller would be hard
2) If we screw Danny, it will hurt us
3) We are a big deal in college basketball in 2020 and everyone is watching all our words
4) Firing Danny will solve all, or even most, of our problems
5) Currie is a Wellman clone
6) We can't afford to take a risk this time--since we are such a big deal and we have a lot to lose.

Here we are, we just fired our Coach, there's like 50 of us reading these boards. We have a long way to go to get back to relevant by 2025. We must get the whole package correct to be perenially in the top 1/2 of the league. Perfect Coach, Perfect AD, Perfect Stadium. None of them can just be "servicable." Not in ACC basketball. Custodians and soccer coaches can be "servicable" or "not hurting us too bad." We need the whole package correct with our men's basketball team to succeed.

Since Ron was canned, John has begun that process nicely. It was a 5 year project given the contractual/stadium issues he was dealt. His hand already looks much improved. Years of work left but I am convinced Currie was the key piece to get us there. If you told me "you can have a stadium, coach or John Currie," I would take John Currie every time. He will get the others right and, if he doesn't, he will fix them--even fire them--until he does.

I have to wonder if Currie purposefully waited until the NFL Draft. This was the busiest weekend in sports in the foreseeable future.

That’s a big joke that firing him would be hard. Currie can do a press conference. Easy. Done. Lose a donor? Got news for ya, you already have. He’s a donor. You move on if it doesn’t work. You don’t hamstring yourself and not make the hire because of what might happen if it doesn’t work.

I have to wonder if Currie purposefully waited until the NFL Draft. This was the busiest weekend in sports in the foreseeable future.

Well of course he did. He had this day orchestrated perfectly after watching COVID unfold. Saturday morning of NFL draft. All parts of story, team meeting, leaks, presser all packed into the day. Story now over. We get a big plus for being first (and maybe only) job out there.

It was a risk. Some could have been in press saying "how dare you fire him during a national emergency." They aren't. Risk paid off. Next.

Other candidates being mentioned by press:

Randolph Childress, Wake Forest. Reported that he is lobbying for the job. Speculate/expect Childress to be interviewed by Currie as he is a Wake Forest legend.

LeVelle Moton, North Carolina Central. Oversaw program's transition to Division I. Well established in MEAC.

Russell Turner, Cal Irvine. Former assistant under Dave Odom.

Ritchie McKay, Liberty. Winning career record of 295-216.

Bob Richey, Furman. No NCAA tournament appearances.

Forbes would be great because of his enthusiasm. We need a shit ton of that right now. B or Matta would be great but maybe not attainable.

Back