• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New 10 Game 2020 ACC Football Schedule Model Announced

The potential issue with Elon is if no FCS this year, then they're not going to play. I think at this point the reality is you should only be looking at FBS teams for that one OOC game.

I did read somewhere that Elon was trying to have a football season as an independent this year, so they still may be a possibility.

I did read somewhere that Elon was trying to have a football season as an independent this year, so they still may be a possibility.

Who does that leave? Appalayshun State, ECU, UNCC and possibly Elon?

Ok. What criteria do you have that are better than winning to make a conference championship game and winning that game?

Just let the conferences come up with their way to determine the best team then put those best teams in a playoff. It’s not difficult.

I’d rather determine a championship based on who actually wins rather than who a committee thinks would win.

Why are you so obsessed with arbitrary criteria? C'mon professor, let's support the use of brainpower in the consideration of all evidence to select the best teams for the playoff. This already happens for the basketball tourney, not sure why this is some mega leap

Why are you so obsessed with arbitrary criteria? C'mon professor, let's support the use of brainpower in the consideration of all evidence to select the best teams for the playoff. This already happens for the basketball tourney, not sure why this is some mega leap

The basketball tourney in which the conference champs automatically make the field and a committee fills in the rest. I’d be fine with that for a 16 team tournament. 11 auto bids + 5 at large.

8ca8c07b1f4e1e331e596991ccbd1e0f.jpg

Posted by 247.

It's a good thing Clemson, Notre Dame, Cheating Louisville and Cheating UNC got light/easy schedules.

And Wake, Boston College and rebuilding FSU got brutal schedules.

Makes a ton of sense.

Does seem odd the three teams with "easy" schedules are UNC, Duke, State, and one of the three teams with a "brutal" schedule is Wake. Also wonder if the ACC decision makers thought Notre Dame might be more inclined to stick around after next season if the Irish racked up a bunch of wins against ACC lightweights.

Still looking for an explanation why the ACC would agree for each team to take a cut in tv $ by allowing ND to join next season, if the numbers PhDeac posted are accurate.

Last edited:
It's a good thing Clemson, Notre Dame, Cheating Louisville and Cheating UNC got light/easy schedules.

Makes a ton of sense.

FSU doesn't make a lot of sense, as the ACC needs the "name" football schools (FSU, Miami primarily) to complete for conference championships to increase viewership. Va Tech too to a lesser degree.

WF got hosed with the schedule, while the league threw a bone to UNC and State. That said, if we have a season, WF is a lot better than most think, and if the league felt it was protecting certain teams by having them play WF, looking forward to see how that turns out. As long as Clawson is here, WF is going to be a pain the ass to play. Would love nothing more that to have WF spoil UNC's, among others, season.

Makes a ton of sense.

Clemson is always set up for one of the easiest schedules in the ACC because they never have to play Clemson.

Was just musing with my dad about what I'd like to see in the future. I'm sick of playing the same teams every year and would love to see more variation. However, a large conference with no divisions leaves way too much variation in schedule to be fair in terms of choosing championship participants etc.

I think it would be amazing to do something akin to the Champions League. At the end of every season (or after the NFL draft), all ACC teams are placed into three pots based on the previous season's finish (RPI, ACC winning %, whatever). Then, to determine the subsequent season's divisional alignment, lottery balls representing teams could be drawn on a televised special with the pots being equally split between divisions. Each division would be of similar quality and you'd get to play a unique schedule every year. Plus, the lotto could be hyped up and would be free promo for the league in an otherwise quiet period.

You'd have to sort out a few inter-divisional games and ND's bullshit but I'd prefer that to playing the same teams every year.

Still looking for an explanation why the ACC would agree for each team to take a cut in tv $ by allowing ND to join next season, if the numbers PhDeac posted are accurate.

Assuming his numbers were accurate - and for football only which is key - the impact is very low. $240/14 = $17.14 million each, $255/15 = $17.0 million each

If that $240 figure includes basketball (which we're already sharing with ND), then ACC schools come out ahead in football.

Last edited:
Those are the numbers reported in the articles on the deal.

Playing Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and possibly App at home with two possible 1st round picks and no fans would be the all time “ain’t that some shit.”

ND’s NBC deal pays $15M a year. The ACC TV deal pays $240M a year. Something is missing here. ACC football schools make less money splitting $255M 15 ways. ND makes more.

One thought is that the approximately $140,000 per ACC school that they are giving up is a form of "golden handcuffs" helping to tie ND more tightly to the ACC. Notre Dame wasn't ready to be a full member of the ACC when the initial agreement was formed. Now for this year, they are a full member, and eligible for the ACC championship. Maybe a little taste of that, and having a conference that gives them games in a really strange year will make them more willing to accept full ACC football membership.

That's from when there was belief there could be some sort of fans at the game. I doubt that will happen.

If no fans, no need to go to Charlotte.

Those words may indeed be real true! Remember that NASCAR moved their All-Star race from Charlotte to Bristol because of Governor Cooper's ban on large crowds. So if all of this is still in place by the time college football rolls around AND we are playing, our stadiums may be empty. Even then 'if' we are allowed to have some crowds, will be take the lead from a definite football school like Ohio State which will have only 20% capacity or about 20,000 fans and NO tailgating? That could mean something like season ticket holders & students only for Wake games.

WF got hosed with the schedule, while the league threw a bone to UNC and State. That said, if we have a season, WF is a lot better than most think, and if the league felt it was protecting certain teams by having them play WF, looking forward to see how that turns out. As long as Clawson is here, WF is going to be a pain the ass to play. Would love nothing more that to have WF spoil UNC's, among others, season.

Agreed. And I think home team advantages will almost be nil, as I don’t think there will be anyone in the seats, if they don’t cancel the season.

Those words may indeed be real true! Remember that NASCAR moved their All-Star race from Charlotte to Bristol because of Governor Cooper's ban on large crowds. So if all of this is still in place by the time college football rolls around AND we are playing, our stadiums may be empty. Even then 'if' we are allowed to have some crowds, will be take the lead from a definite football school like Ohio State which will have only 20% capacity or about 20,000 fans and NO tailgating? That could mean something like season ticket holders & students only for Wake games.

Did Cooper ban all large gatherings? I think he’ll find a way to allow fans to attend. These institutions are moving the agenda, after all.

Agreed. And I think home team advantages will almost be nil, as I don’t think there will be anyone in the seats, if they don’t cancel the season.

The advantage will be not having to travel before the game, which is not insignificant in some of these matchups.

I expect some interesting research to emerge from this crisis about the actual impact of fans and travel on home advantage.

So far the “home” team is 9-5 in NBA regular season including I think a few mild upsets.

Last edited:
Back