• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Goddamn it. Do I have to like Coach K Now too?

Where was šŸ€ face when dahntay Jones dunked on a mid from... uva I think... they bith hit the ground. Jones' feet and legs were laying on top of the other player and he started doing push ups? How about boozer's hip check of brod hicks all the way onto the scorers table?

These are different times guys. Your opponent is not your enemy. They are your opponent. If they cheat, different thing, but I thought it was revealing and honest when Coach K said he thought these things were sort of solved and it has been a shock and a revelation that he was wrong. In these strange times, I am happy to hear anybody admit mistakes and be willing to listen.

Do I love Coach K - no! But I certainly respect him more than I did a week ago

These are different times guys. Your opponent is not your enemy. They are your opponent. If they cheat, different thing, but I thought it was revealing and honest when Coach K said he thought these things were sort of solved and it has been a shock and a revelation that he was wrong. In these strange times, I am happy to hear anybody admit mistakes and be willing to listen.

I can relate to that. My parents, and more so, my grandparentsā€™ generation were blatantly racist. Looking back, my parents and their friends were more passively racist. My grandparents, the Greatest Generation, referred to blacks as niggers. They believed in separate but equal.

I still hate K but I respect what he said. My generation has been wrong about race and the progress that has/hasnā€™t been made.

I pretty much had the same opinion as most people on these boards. I just hated him. I can't remember what he said at Skips funeral or shortly after but it made me look at him a bit different. I then realized I really only hated him because he was so damn good at his job and that meant beating Wake most of the time. Like you I respect him as a coach. I'm not 100% sure about the whole Zion controversy, I did not keep up with it.

Skips funeral was the turning point in my opinion of Coach K. He went out of his way, and very directly told an out of place WFU employee that he WANTED and NEEDED to tell the media his thoughts on the loss of Coach Prosser. He was hurting, and saw that we were hurting as well, and his words and actions that day meant a lot to many of us in the local press corps.

So he runs a hypocritical holier than thou cheating nearly out in the open program and heā€™s not a horrible racist.

Eh in reality since Iā€™m not in my 20s anymore and have other priorities, plus Wake has sucked wildly for a decade I donā€™t really hate K that much anymore

My observations of him over 40 years lead me to respect him and suspect he's an intense, exacting, and yes, decent person. I don't think these appropriate comments under consideration are at all out of character for him.

Lovable...? No way.

F Duke.

I hope he'll hang around long enough that we can rebuild and send him into retirement with another defeat or several courtesy of Wake.

So he runs a hypocritical holier than thou cheating nearly out in the open program and heā€™s not a horrible racist.

Eh in reality since Iā€™m not in my 20s anymore and have other priorities, plus Wake has sucked wildly for a decade I donā€™t really hate K that much anymore

We can hold these competing thoughts in our head: 1) Coach K might be a decent human being 2) Coach K might be saying the right shit to appeal to increasingly politically active elite high school basketball players 3) Fuck Dook

We are humans with beautiful minds and we contain multitudes.

I used to hate hate hate Dean Smith when I was a kid, but as an adult when I learned about his political activism, particularity regarding race and also the death penalty, I had to change my opinion.

Itā€™s ok to hate them within the confines of the basketball arena (including recruiting) and yet appreciate or even respect some of the positions they take outside the sports world.

Back