• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sports in Mourning: RIP John Thompson, dead at 78

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Always been a fan of this dude. Great coach.

His Arizona teams in the 1990s were a great way to have an introduction into college hoops. Seemed like every year they were a Sweet 16 team. Great coach.

Don't you just know the RJKarl must have a story about running into Lute somewhere. No, I'm not wanting to read it because it would devolve into a name-calling contest after about 5 posts.

I remain extremely grateful that he and Mike Bibby beat Kentucky in 1997.

Great coach. My condolences to his family, friends and former players. They are now missing a piece of their lives.

Coach Forbes grew up going to his basketball camps at Iowa and had some very nice things to say on Twitter.

Last edited:
a great coach with even better hair.

Man, what a crazy week in basketball. Two of the all time greats passed away within days of each other. John Thompson, dead at 78.

His Arizona teams in the 1990s were a great way to have an introduction into college hoops. Seemed like every year they were a Sweet 16 team. Great coach.

this made ZERO sense to me until i realized that ph had changed the thread title

Hell, I was surprised too when I saw I had posted in a thread about John Thompson until I opened it (I had been on the boards for maybe all of 2 minutes earlier in the day).

That being said, another great coach gone from us. College basketball is more fun to watch when the Hoyas have a good team.

Last edited:
Loved the irony of hearing Jim Calhoun talking yesterday about Thompson's intimidating officials.

Back