• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Week 1 - Clemson discussion

I have finally decided to post after many years of just reading. I wanted to be clear that after over 40 years of being a Wake fan (not an alum), I am not supporting the football team after learning their helmets signs and symbols. Anyone who doesn’t understand BLM Marxist views and their violent actions around the country has to look up their mission statement and info on their website. Personally, I am not supporting NBA, NFL, and all other pro sports leagues that are doing this “social justice” movement. And now, my favorite college has decided to jump on the bandwagon. I am praying that sports can be sports and all these other movements can be off the field actions if they want to do something they deem productive.

Sorry, I just don’t understand why sports are alienating at least half the country as the silent majority doesn’t obviously post on these boards. And if they do, they are considered racist and ignorant. So they stay silent.

I am glad the sports department allowed me to get out of my season tickets this year as I don’t want to be associated with Wake football, at least this year. I am aware that most posters will disagree with me but I am one of the silent majority that is tired of where sports is going in this country. Please respect my opinion as I am a huge Wake fan as we all are. But I won’t be watching Wake football this year. Everyone on here basically said “great for them” and they are “doing great things” but if colleges follow the pro sport models of BLM, it will be sad. Even if you agree with this movement, what does sports have to do with it?

Conflating the Black Lives Matter movement with Marxism is missing the point. Either you're on board with advocating for justice and equality or you're not. Which do you choose?

Anyone who doesn’t understand BLM Marxist views and their violent actions around the country has to look up their mission statement and info on their website.

Would you mind providing some more on this? The website that comes up for me (https://blacklivesmatter.com) has this as what essentially appears to be the mission statement:

“Four years ago, what is now known as the Black Lives Matter Global Network began to organize. It started out as a chapter-based, member-led organization whose mission was to build local power and to intervene when violence was inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.

In the years since, we’ve committed to struggling together and to imagining and creating a world free of anti-Blackness, where every Black person has the social, economic, and political power to thrive.”

I’d love to know what part of that statement is so alienating to you.

Www.blacklivesmatters.com
One of their co-founders Patrise Cullors said in 2015 that BLM is a trained Marxist organization. That was her own words as I didn’t get it from a Russian hacked website. Their website lists that BLM wants to dismantle the nuclear family (which I believe is a main issue with this country as many kids don’t have a mother and father at home). I and many others see this is an organization as I divisive movement that the Russians and Chinese are loving what BLM and Antifa is doing to our country right now.

Look, I don’t want to get into too much about this anti American organization as they are getting enough attention by ill informed people. My main point is “why sports” and why do you think a fist on a helmet or a sticker or rapist’s name who didn’t comply with an officer on a jersey is going to help your cause.

And for those who want to say “bye”, I guess you are ok with losing more of a fan base that is already one of the smallest in the nation.

“Please respect my opinion” that’s based on absurd propaganda. I mean what do you want people to do with that?

Seems like if I dedicated 40 years of fandom to a team, and that team decided to take a stand for something I’d at least read the articles with quotes from the players about what they’re standing for. Instead of throwing 40 years of fandom away based on a big misunderstanding.

I have finally decided to post after many years of just reading. I wanted to be clear that after over 40 years of being a Wake fan (not an alum), I am not supporting the football team after learning their helmets signs and symbols. Anyone who doesn’t understand BLM Marxist views and their violent actions around the country has to look up their mission statement and info on their website. Personally, I am not supporting NBA, NFL, and all other pro sports leagues that are doing this “social justice” movement. And now, my favorite college has decided to jump on the bandwagon. I am praying that sports can be sports and all these other movements can be off the field actions if they want to do something they deem productive.

Sorry, I just don’t understand why sports are alienating at least half the country as the silent majority doesn’t obviously post on these boards. And if they do, they are considered racist and ignorant. So they stay silent.

I am glad the sports department allowed me to get out of my season tickets this year as I don’t want to be associated with Wake football, at least this year. I am aware that most posters will disagree with me but I am one of the silent majority that is tired of where sports is going in this country. Please respect my opinion as I am a huge Wake fan as we all are. But I won’t be watching Wake football this year. Everyone on here basically said “great for them” and they are “doing great things” but if colleges follow the pro sport models of BLM, it will be sad. Even if you agree with this movement, what does sports have to do with it?

somebody sat on this username a long time

Why sports?

Because many football and basketball players are black and have experienced negative things in this country that they have the right to voice. By focusing only on what you believe about the organization, you are ignoring what the young men that you are a fan of are trying to say. Go read a few of Conor’s articles on this topic and try to empathize with what those young men have to say about life as a black man at Wake Forest and in the United States.

Conflating the Black Lives Matter movement with Marxism is missing the point. Either you're on board with advocating for justice and equality or you're not. Which do you choose?

I dismiss there is a need for this movement and there is no such thing as white supremacy so I guess we need to agree to disagree. It is a divisive movement. I don’t want anything to do with this movement as it is evil. Anything that divides us is evil and don’t want to be subject to this and don’t want my kids to be around this false narrative. I come to sports to get away from this type of stuff but not anymore

I dismiss there is a need for this movement and there is no such thing as white supremacy so I guess we need to agree to disagree. It is a divisive movement. I don’t want anything to do with this movement as it is evil. Anything that divides us is evil and don’t want to be subject to this and don’t want my kids to be around this false narrative. I come to sports to get away from this type of stuff but not anymore

Instead of dismissing the need based on your experiences and perception, why not look into the experiences of people that are saying there is a problem and that they are directly affected by it?

https://journalnow.com/sports/exami...9d6b4a74b2.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

I pray for all of you guys as I am entitled to an opinion as well. I have read quotes of players and that is sad that they feel the way they do. I believe we live in the greatest country in the world and people choose to wake up everyday and think how can I make something of myself. The only thing is holding them back is themselves. BLM is spreading fear in the country as they are destroying people, businesses and this country. Now they want to subject us to this propaganda in sports. What is all this violence doing to improve people’s lives? What about all the murders of black on black crime? Where is the social justice movement there?

I pray for all of you guys as I am entitled to an opinion as well.

Their opinion is about the events going on in their own lives. Your opinion is about why their opinions are wrong. Pretty obvious difference between the two levels of opinions.

Now they want to subject us to this propaganda in sports. What is all this violence doing to improve people’s lives?

What is violent about sports players speaking up about something they see as wrong in our country? What makes that propaganda?

What about all the murders of black on black crime? Where is the social justice movement there?

This is a talking point that is used to intentionally misdirect from the problems at hand and the discussion that we are actually having. It’s brought up because people that feel similarly to you are uncomfortable actually listening and engaging in this conversation.

I figured this would happen with this crowd as I shouldn’t have posted anything and just continue to be frustrated and say nothing. I am trying to be nice and say I don’t want to leave Wake sports and thought I would have a few reasonable people respond to my concerns.
Again, I’m not surprised of these reactions and will try and just read sports on this board. I know I contributed to this non sports topic but then again, it’s not really non sports anymore.
I just want to support Wake sports and the players and don’t really want to be told what “organization” they want to support while they are on their respected field/court. They can still support “pro humanitate” at Wake but why bring it to their respected sport. It is obvious that I am one of the few people on this board that has this view. I’m obviously going to have to continue to be a “silent minority” on this board. We are all entitled to our opinions in this country and I will continue to respect everyone’s else’s opinions

I figured this would happen with this crowd as I shouldn’t have posted anything and just continue to be frustrated and say nothing. I am trying to be nice and say I don’t want to leave Wake sports and thought I would have a few reasonable people respond to my concerns.

What has been unreasonable about the questions I’ve asked you?

I am aware that most posters will disagree with me but I am one of the silent majority that is tired of where sports is going in this country. Please respect my opinion as I am a huge Wake fan as we all are.

You know what, HP, there's an old saying on these boards: you give respect by showing no respect…you give respect by showing no respect. And you can figure out what that phrase really means. The first time you posted, people did not respect you because you didn't think hard and you didn't make a strong argument. That's a heck of a statement for a poster to make, but that's the truth. I remember RJKarl saying one time that he's had some noobs post in threads with him where they didn't want to argue with him, they feared him and didn't want to argue with him. And RJ said, ‘You're not even respecting me because you won't argue against me, you see.' But if you get somebody out there who's just arguing and giving everything you've got and still you come up short, you know what? Doesn't the other poster respect you? So you give respect by showing no respect…you go out there and you battle.

Back