• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

W S Journal

Completely agree. 65 makes a legitimate point. Conor does a great job covering Wake, but the Journal sports coverage generally is pretty weak. And if you disagree, say so. But don’t be a dick.

Dude every newspaper’s sports coverage is weak. Maybe you haven’t been paying attention but print newspapers are dying. 24/7 digital news and social media have made daily newspapers obsolete. You should be thankful the W-S Journal still has a dedicated Wake beat writer. I wouldn’t take that for granted at all.

Dude I get it. Doesn’t change the fact that the coverage is weak. And is anyone editing that newspaper anymore? Some of the typos and headline or photo caption mistakes are head scratchers.

Dude I get it. Doesn’t change the fact that the coverage is weak. And is anyone editing that newspaper anymore? Some of the typos and headline or photo caption mistakes are head scratchers.

Again, this is relatable to how quickly newspapers are dying. We've gone to a central design center for our layout and "copy editing," so it's no longer done by people in Winston-Salem (or Greensboro, as had been the case since the N&R is also owned by Lee Enterprises). Odds are most nights, we've got somebody whose degree is in graphic design, graduated in the last two years and has never in their life read a newspaper regularly laying out our section ... along with 10-15 other sections across the country.

Everything is done to eliminate time so that the design centers can be as bare-bones as possible -- which is why you get vanilla layouts, fucked up and misleading headlines and shitty cutlines.

It blows, I know. But the bean counters make the calls.

Great job done by Conor. But if all they want to talk about is social injustice and not football, then there is not much else he can write about. Personally I wish they would just talk about football.

Great job done by Conor. But if all they want to talk about is social injustice and not football, then there is not much else he can write about. Personally I wish they would just talk about football.

Shut up and dribble, baby!

All good; John Dell wrote our "buzzer story" to alleviate some of my workload last night. Filed my analysis story at 4 a.m. after getting home.

There is a notable difference between the content and style too. I’ll leave it there.

WF’s defense looks good to me and will make strides this year against stiff competition. Our problem is our schedule as always but especially this Covid year.

Kern looks like a QB who can play well at this level.

All good; John Dell wrote our "buzzer story" to alleviate some of my workload last night. Filed my analysis story at 4 a.m. after getting home.

This reads differently now.

Best wishes to you. I will miss your coverage. Tough week for you for sure, first the dog and now this. Use this as motivation to find something superior. Good luck to you.

Best wishes to you. I will miss your coverage. Tough week for you for sure, first the dog and now this. Use this as motivation to find something superior. Good luck to you.

Sounds like the beginnings of a good song waiting to be written by "Country" Dan Collins.

One more turn of the death spiral. Cut coverage. Lose subscribers. Lose subscribers, lose advertising. Lose advertising revenue, need to cut costs and staff.

Maybe it's me, but I was disappointed by the lack of coverage in the sports page about the game. National TV game, host of gameday with very little about the game. I remember past seasons when there was just a regular season game and we would have player match-ups, even depth charts one year. I don't even remember them mentioning where and when gameday could be found and the time of our game was with all the other tv games. I just think the Journal missed a chance to showcase WS and Wake.

Do not piss off Deac65.

And, personally, I'd wish you'd recognize your privilege... and, then shut the fuck up.

You've attacked the A.P. for being biased.

Look in the mirror, asshole.

Sounds like the beginnings of a good song waiting to be written by "Country" Dan Collins.

Yes, but I should have weaved in a broken heart and having a wreck in the pickup truck. Then the song would be complete.

Back