• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Really Tired of Our O

I love Clawson and what he has done for our program. To be honest, the only way we will be able to win against the Clemsons of the world is to recruit some of the same kind of talent and we know that's probably not going to happen. I remain optimistic as a fan, but reality is reality.

We run RPO.

I think that is an RPO that Lawrence just strolled into the end zone twice. Defensive ends just crashed down, I think. Don't they see that in practice every day? I guess missing about 4 DT hurt us too (are they Covid or injured?). That should be clear strength.

Oh, offense. Well, that was sad not to go for it on 4th and 1. Basic excuses by Clawson after the game.

CBS looked better I guess, but he needs to plant that foot and turn it upfield, which is basic for great RB.

Also, Roberson needs to watch a lot of NFL tape to see how to sell an obvious pass interference. Claw got after the ref, but he needs to immediately go Bobby Knight on that shit.

Offensive line better than expected for first game ever together.

Backup quarterbacks were better than expected. Kern is promising.

Was very impressed that we did not roll over and kept fighting - that tells you a lot about the excellent leader we have as a head coach (minus the 4th and 1).

I love Clawson and what he has done for our program. To be honest, the only way we will be able to win against the Clemsons of the world is to recruit some of the same kind of talent and we know that's probably not going to happen. I remain optimistic as a fan, but reality is reality.

It really comes down to line play to me. Clemson dominates both lines of scrimmage against us. There's a gap obviously just about everywhere on the field when we play them, but I think the biggest gap is up front on both sides of the ball.

It really comes down to line play to me. Clemson dominates both lines of scrimmage against us. There's a gap obviously just about everywhere on the field when we play them, but I think the biggest gap is up front on both sides of the ball.

About 2 stars of gap on line talent. Clemson playing 5 star guys and Wake starting bunch of 3 star guys.

Just looking at the rest of our schedule....who are we going to beat?

When I first moved to Upstate SC 30+ years ago I hated Clemson with the typical Wake Forest passion. Over the Dabo years it's been hard to do much except admire what they've become in football. I can't understand why so many posters are frustrated that we don't compare more favorably to Clemson in football. In our very best years under Jim Grobe we didn't have the kind of talent and coaching acumen that Clemson has had under Dabo. We never will reach that level primarily because of who we are. It's not criticism, it's reality. Under Grobe for several years, and under Clawson for the last 4-5 we have risen to the level that we can compete with NCState, UNC, FSU, Louisville, UVA, Va Tech and other schools that are much larger state schools almost every year, and for the most part DOMINATE our mirror image school in Duke. If we win half the games we play against those state schools and continue to beat Duke I think that's pretty good. We compete well with Pitt, BC and Syracuse and will do ok against GT I called in this morning to Clemson's excellent Sports radio show and asked the host for his take on the Deacs. He's typically honest and agreed with the following: oline= bad and thus running attack is a problem, QB's= very good throwing the ball, Boogie= best D End in the league and 1st round NFL talent, Donovan Green = a superstar in the making, NFL talent, D fense= better tackling than ly but depth is weak. I think that about sums it up pretty well. He projected 4-5 wins this year( State, Duke, BC, Campbell, Cuse and maybe UVA) due to our very tough schedule. Losing to Clemson, ND, Miami with D'Eric King, and on the road at VT and UNC is not a failure imo after the key personnel losses we've had since ly.

We run RPO.

I think that is an RPO that Lawrence just strolled into the end zone twice. Defensive ends just crashed down, I think. Don't they see that in practice every day? I guess missing about 4 DT hurt us too (are they Covid or injured?). That should be clear strength.

Oh, offense. Well, that was sad not to go for it on 4th and 1. Basic excuses by Clawson after the game.

CBS looked better I guess, but he needs to plant that foot and turn it upfield, which is basic for great RB.

Also, Roberson needs to watch a lot of NFL tape to see how to sell an obvious pass interference. Claw got after the ref, but he needs to immediately go Bobby Knight on that shit.

There's no "P" part of the plays Clemson ran to score, they're just simple zone reads. Lawrence can give to Etienne on the dive or pull it.

As for DTs in COVID or not, this is what I put on the other thread, I'll put here too:

Unofficial list:

Rondell Bothroyd - we knew he'd be out because he's still recovering from season-ending injury last year
Tyler Williams
Justin Williams
James Ash
Mike Allen

(all of those are DTs)

Trey Rucker
Coby Davis
Caelen Carson
JJ Roberts
Gavin Holmes

(all of those are DBs)

For my money, Rucker is the *only* one who I never saw on the sidelines Saturday. Given Clawson's quote earlier in the week about missing multiple players because of COVID-19 positives and/or contact tracing, it's hard to believe Rucker is the *only* player who missed the game for that reason. I think given the amount of DTs and DBs unavailable, you have to assume (I know what happens when you do that, but still) that a chunk of those guys were held out for COVID-19 related reasons.

This is all speculative and will be all season, because Wake Forest is not going to do what Clemson did and announce a few hours before each game who is unavailable. That's up to the schools, not mandated by ACC.

When I first moved to Upstate SC 30+ years ago I hated Clemson with the typical Wake Forest passion. Over the Dabo years it's been hard to do much except admire what they've become in football. I can't understand why so many posters are frustrated that we don't compare more favorably to Clemson in football. In our very best years under Jim Grobe we didn't have the kind of talent and coaching acumen that Clemson has had under Dabo. We never will reach that level primarily because of who we are. It's not criticism, it's reality. Under Grobe for several years, and under Clawson for the last 4-5 we have risen to the level that we can compete with NCState, UNC, FSU, Louisville, UVA, Va Tech and other schools that are much larger state schools almost every year, and for the most part DOMINATE our mirror image school in Duke. If we win half the games we play against those state schools and continue to beat Duke I think that's pretty good. We compete well with Pitt, BC and Syracuse and will do ok against GT I called in this morning to Clemson's excellent Sports radio show and asked the host for his take on the Deacs. He's typically honest and agreed with the following: oline= bad and thus running attack is a problem, QB's= very good throwing the ball, Boogie= best D End in the league and 1st round NFL talent, Donovan Green = a superstar in the making, NFL talent, D fense= better tackling than ly but depth is weak. I think that about sums it up pretty well. He projected 4-5 wins this year( State, Duke, BC, Campbell, Cuse and maybe UVA) due to our very tough schedule. Losing to Clemson, ND, Miami with D'Eric King, and on the road at VT and UNC is not a failure imo after the key personnel losses we've had since ly.

You typed all of those fucking words but decide to abbreviate “last year” to “ly”

How does your brain work?

Just looking at the rest of our schedule....who are we going to beat?

We could start with State on Saturday. No reason at all to be scared of them especially without fans.

The ACC is a toss up league aside from Clemson and whichever program really sucks that year.

The ACC is a toss up league aside from Clemson and whichever program really sucks that year.

ND and u*NC seem to be toward the top of the pile this season. Let's hope ND continues to do less with more. Here's to Hemphill changing the defense so whatever Clark Lea knew when he left isn't that useful.

You typed all of those fucking words but decide to abbreviate “last year” to “ly”

How does your brain work?

So sorry it was too hard to follow for you Mr. Bum. If you have anything useful to add please give it your best try. But don't hurt yourself.

ND and u*NC seem to be toward the top of the pile this season. Let's hope ND continues to do less with more. Here's to Hemphill changing the defense so whatever Clark Lea knew when he left isn't that useful.

I'm not convinced unc will be as good as they are expected to be this year

We run RPO.

Backup quarterbacks were better than expected. Kern is promising.

Was very impressed that we did not roll over and kept fighting - that tells you a lot about the excellent leader we have as a head coach (minus the 4th and 1).

Dabo took his foot off the gas. It easily could have been another 55-6 type score.

We'll never consistently beat Clemson because we have academic standards and they don't. We do it the right way.

Back