• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone who studies linguistics.

Meaning someone who studies syntax, vocabulary, diction, semantics, the history thereof, and every other thing you would need to know that INSULTING WORDS FUCKING CHANGE OVER TIME AND CALLING OUT PEOPLE FOR USING THE WORD "RETARD" ON THE INTERNET IS THE MODERN EQUIVALENT OF TELLING A 1600'S PEASANT THEY SHOULD BE HAPPY THEY ARENT FAT.

nah

Don’t see why it’s such a big deal to try not to call people what they don’t want to be called

Why would they be future linguists if they’re calling out poor word choice right now

I feel like if someone close to you had an intellectual disability you'd have a different take on it

I signed up for a weekly bread delivery from a baker nearby and the sourdough is great

I’m not a particularly politically correct or woke person, but I wouldn’t feel good if I knew my kids were calling other kids “retarded” past a certain age when they should know better. I think for conservatives it’s why they like Trump, because he recalls a time when they could say what they want without fear of reprisal of any kind.

Chris Rock is not good in this season of Fargo. There. I said it.

Meaning someone who studies syntax, vocabulary, diction, semantics, the history thereof, and every other thing you would need to know that INSULTING WORDS FUCKING CHANGE OVER TIME AND CALLING OUT PEOPLE FOR USING THE WORD "RETARD" ON THE INTERNET IS THE MODERN EQUIVALENT OF TELLING A 1600'S PEASANT THEY SHOULD BE HAPPY THEY ARENT FAT.

hi i'm finishing up my phd in communication and the fact that language changes over time is not a good argument for using a term pretty widely understood to be offensive now.

Dude, just don’t use that word.

And I realize that you are among a subset of people where when someone tells them not to do something, it makes them burn to do it even more. But maybe listen to people on this one.

I don't know what Creamy sees in you

tbh feels kind of wrong to teach my students the effects of anti-disabled/homophobic language, but let it go here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back