• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Not all Sam's fault

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Sam took responsibility for the loss. Stand up kind of guy. But there was plenty of responsibility to go around. Starting with Dave. I agree that his press conference was really strange. Yes we were missing some players, but that is all the more reason to make some changes after we went up 21 points. There was no way we could defend the deep ball with the players we had. So might as well try pressure. If we allow Howell time they will complete the deep ball. Might as well blitz. Really bad play calling all of the 4th quarter. Misdirection might have worked. Try something different. Just an epic failure on defense and coaching.

I'd say very little of what happened was Sam's fault. He's just being a leader by saying that.

I agree. Sam's play was the main reason we were shellacked like Duke was. Without him, we would have lost by 30+.

Sam has been very good so far. Really looking forward to his continued development over the next couple of years. Really seemed like Clawson was upset about those db's not being able to play yesterday (Davis, Greer, and Masterson). They would have really helped. Anderson was in there what seemed like the whole game and that's a lot to put on a PWO freshman.

Also, seems like Boogie was double teamed most of the fourth quarter. Think we should have taken advantage of that and blitzed more. Given time. Howell was going to complete the long pass, so at least knock him down

Far too many dropped passes in the 3rd & 4th quarter at key times!

Sam said he needed to play a perfect game. With his guys dropping balls at key moments he was spot on but please find me a perfect QB somewhere, anywhere, any league. Heck. Sam had RBs, receivers and linemen coming up short on pass blocking at key moments as well.
That team including the D should individually tell him they’re sorry for coming up short. Sam Hartman ain’t the problem.
Everyone in that program watching the score was a problem shared by all. That includes DC and staff. Everyone knew a 3 score lead on them is no different than a tie ball game but WF played to that score in so many ways and failed to play to their opponent.

Sam took responsibility for the loss. Stand up kind of guy. But there was plenty of responsibility to go around. Starting with Dave. I agree that his press conference was really strange. Yes we were missing some players, but that is all the more reason to make some changes after we went up 21 points. There was no way we could defend the deep ball with the players we had. So might as well try pressure. If we allow Howell time they will complete the deep ball. Might as well blitz. Really bad play calling all of the 4th quarter. Misdirection might have worked. Try something different. Just an epic failure on defense and coaching.

Agree. Either drop 8 or rush 7, at least once in awhile. Hard to see on the TV because you can't really ever see the whole area being covered by the D, nor who is coming into the play. (I guess u you can keep a roster beside you and check every play.)

Overall we did much better than I thought we would. UNC did exactly what I feared. Our O played unbelievably well, especially in first half. Some if the drops Sam was indicating interference but no flag and no commentator replay. UNC seemed to adjust their D at half, rushing way more players and blitzing. By the time we went to quick passes for success, we had already punted twice in a row. A few more 1st downs and 1 more TD score, we win, IMHO.

Last edited:
When we were up 21, we went into clock-killing mode which made our offense predictable. We aren't good enough to impose our will on teams who know what to expect. We lost momentum. Basically, we brought 45 points to a 60 point game, and added a garbage time TD. None of this is Sam's fault. He doesn't call plays, catch passes, or play defense. As said before, he's being a leader by pointing to himself instead of calling people out.

When we were up 21, we went into clock-killing mode which made our offense predictable. We aren't good enough to impose our will on teams who know what to expect. We lost momentum. Basically, we brought 45 points to a 60 point game, and added a garbage time TD. None of this is Sam's fault. He doesn't call plays, catch passes, or play defense. As said before, he's being a leader by pointing to himself instead of calling people out.

Yep

When we were up 14 and 7, we had two drives that took less than 2 min total off the clock. We were not in clock killing mode. Or at least not effectively.

In the next five possessions after going up 21:

20 plays -- 14 of them passes.

As noted: When Wake is running the ball effectively, an opposing defense doesn't have to prove it can stop them. It just has to present the illusion that it can stop it, i.e. outnumbering the box and showing blitz. If you do that, Wake will stop running the ball for you.

It's a debilitating trait of the staff that doesn't exactly portray that they trust skill and execution of the offensive line.

Great point Connor. Not much love for the Beef Boys
Maybe try some misdirection. There are places to run besides up the middle. We have not been very imaginative in our play calling.

I went to the game with a big Rams clubber and we bumped into some of the Tarheel assistant coaches (that he knew well) at the Carolina Inn after the game. Talked to them for a good while. They were extremely complimentary of Clawson. Said Wake was the most prepared and disciplined team they have seen. They brought up how Howell constantly tries to draw the defense offsides and usually gets a few. They said the Wake defense never even so much as flinched, much less come offsides. Said that was a sign of being fully prepared for the details and discipline. They said that the defenses were so tired. Felt like the difference in the three 3 and outs the Holes got against us in the 4th quarter may have been because they put in 4 totally fresh defensive linemen. They were also surprised that Clawson didn't punt with 3 and half minutes left. I dunno, just remembering tidbits.

In the next five possessions after going up 21:

20 plays -- 14 of them passes.

As noted: When Wake is running the ball effectively, an opposing defense doesn't have to prove it can stop them. It just has to present the illusion that it can stop it, i.e. outnumbering the box and showing blitz. If you do that, Wake will stop running the ball for you.

It's a debilitating trait of the staff that doesn't exactly portray that they trust skill and execution of the offensive line.

The staff trusts the OL, but UNC stacked the box in the 4th quarter and dared WF to throw as they knew Greene was out. Routes were open, but there were too many drops and receivers not fighting for the ball in the 4th quarter.

That's the WF offense:

- If the opponent overplays the run, WF passes;
- If the opponent overplays the pass, WF runs.

WF will always follow the plan of taking what the defense gives.

Crazy that WF scores 53, gains 600+ yards and anyone tries to point the offense as the problem.

Last edited:
We win comfortably if we had Greer and Masterson. You can't rely on Nick Anderson and Trey Rucker to keep that UNC offense from scoring. This isn't on the coaches and it's DEFINITELY not on Sam. It's 100% on the fact we are missing 5 defensive backs. Also, Groulx isn't ready for primetime and it would've been nice to have AT available. I'd rather not have Boogie and Smenda than the injuries we had.

I know this isn't normally the place for nuance, and clearly our defense was horrible, but while the offense wasn't THE reason WF lost the game, and it clearly isn't all on Sam, I would hope the offensive staff is reflecting on areas for improvement.

From the time WF took the 21-point lead until UNC went up 14, WF had 5 possessions. Over those 5 possessions, 18 plays netted 4 yards gained (UNC committed 3 penalties for an additional 25 yards).

Four yards on eighteen plays.

I feel a little better knowing Greene was out for most of that, but that is very awful offensive execution down the stretch

Crazy that WF scores 53, gains 600+ yards and anyone tries to point the offense as the problem.

Nobody other than Hartman is pointing to the offense as "the problem" (and that's only at himself), and it's pretty clear there's a consensus here that that's misplaced and just Sam trying to absorb blame for others.

But when you have 45 points midway through the third quarter and finish with 53 only because you orchestrated a 2-minute offense against prevent, that's a problem.

I mean, I understand the WF offense. Take what the defense gives, yadda yadda yadda. But if you know you're missing Greene, you don't have A.T. Perry all game, Donald Stewart hasn't played in the game yet, Nolan Groulx has shown little ... that's the situation you trust instead of your two workhorse RBs and an offensive line that had 188 rushing yards in the first 3 quarters?

Nobody other than Hartman is pointing to the offense as "the problem" (and that's only at himself), and it's pretty clear there's a consensus here that that's misplaced and just Sam trying to absorb blame for others.

But when you have 45 points midway through the third quarter and finish with 53 only because you orchestrated a 2-minute offense against prevent, that's a problem.

I mean, I understand the WF offense. Take what the defense gives, yadda yadda yadda. But if you know you're missing Greene, you don't have A.T. Perry all game, Donald Stewart hasn't played in the game yet, Nolan Groulx has shown little ... that's the situation you trust instead of your two workhorse RBs and an offensive line that had 188 rushing yards in the first 3 quarters?

Agreeed! The late TD to Roberson had the announcers gushing - "Great coaching taking a timeout, getting Roberson a breather, running a play for him!" and I'm thinking, where was that play when the game was in doubt? as in, instead of the throws to Groulx and Stewart that you mention?

Back