• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

I didn’t it was that good of a shot down 1 with that much time left. That was an NBA play not a college play.

Michigan has made a lot of dumb decisions tonight and really played down to UCLA. That rushed put back on that air ball was really bad.

Well they got three open looks with a chance to win. Can't ask for much more than that.

Some are talking about Baylor being physical with Gonzaga. This could play right into the hands of the Zags. Their motion and ability to cut or a little fake or brush can create openings and fouls. This may sound simplistic but stop and go motion will also defeat being bodied and bullied by creating fouls.

Something many don't talk enough about is how interchangeable 1-4 are for the Zags on both ends of the court. On defense, you don't have to be equal or a star as long as you are there and can play the slot. This slows down the opposition and frustrates them.

Gonzaga is a 14 point favorite against UCLA, and barring some weird result like Baylor beating Houston by 30, and/or UCLA taking Gonzaga to OT, the Zags will be at least a 6 point favorite (KP says 8) over Baylor (and the Zags would be a double digit favorite over Houston). Anyone holding a NCAA Tourney future on Gonzaga should feel pretty good about themselves right now. Gonzaga is the first team since UCONN in 2004 to win all 4 regional games by 15 or more. That UCONN team won the title by beating Duke in the semis and GT (yes, Georgia Tech coached by Paul Hewitt) in the finals.

who from this zags team is likely to be big in the NBA

admittedly haven't been following big name college players recently

who from this zags team is likely to be big in the NBA

admittedly haven't been following big name college players recently

Suggs will be pretty decent. Other than that I could see Ayayi being a good role player. Timme will not translate to the NBA, he's just a Hansbrough with a handlebar mustache. If Kispert can contribute something other than the three-ball he could maybe catch onto an NBA team but I doubt it.

Kispert and Suggs are lottery picks. I wouldn't be shocked to see Suggs be the #1 pick. Cunningham probably will be, but Suggs is getting very close.

Ayayi, Nembhard and Timme are low 1st-early second round picks.

Suggs will be pretty decent. Other than that I could see Ayayi being a good role player. Timme will not translate to the NBA, he's just a Hansbrough with a handlebar mustache. If Kispert can contribute something other than the three-ball he could maybe catch onto an NBA team but I doubt it.

I don't really see Timme as Hansbrough, but Hansbrough played seven years in the NBA (making $16.5 million) and three seasons in China.

According to NBA Draft room, PG Jaylen Suggs is the #4 pick, and Cory Kispert is the #15 pick. Joel Ayayi is a 2nd round pick. Other mocks have Suggs going higher, and have Drew Timme going in the 2nd round. The thing is with Gonzaga is they are talented (but far from the most talented team in NCAA history), but outside of Suggs, they are very experienced. These days, teams are either super-talented (KY or Duke) or super-experienced, but lack the high-end talent.

Gonzaga has both.

FWIW, the top 4 picks according to NBA draft room are:

1. Cunningham OK State
2. Jalen Green (the highest rated player ever to go straight to the G League: averaged 18 ppg in the G League; got better as the season went on)
3. Evan Mobley USC (didn't help himself last night, but has played well in the tourney)
4. Jaylen Suggs, Gonzaga

Last edited:
Well they got three open looks with a chance to win. Can't ask for much more than that.

If Wagner hits the 3 with about 14 second, we're talking about the absolutely clear-out that Dickinson did to the 2 UCLA perimeter defenders. You can't make the call there, but it was about as blatant of a moving pick/screen as you'll see.

that Chaundee Brown guy was kinda hot and Michigan went like 0/7 after his threes

Tinne converts. USC big men miserable at converting in paint.

USC had excellent gameplan and awful execution.

Tinne, Ajayi and Kispert not imposing defensively so USC pounded it inside early and misses short shot after short shot. Gonzaga great job using the glass and not relying on tight rims. Smart. Deserved to win.

And Houston is GOOD. Better not look past them.

If Wagner hits the 3 with about 14 second, we're talking about the absolutely clear-out that Dickinson did to the 2 UCLA perimeter defenders. You can't make the call there, but it was about as blatant of a moving pick/screen as you'll see.

Duke has been doing the high pick and roll to end games for decades and never gotten called for the pick man pinning the defender. The PG for them also just bee lines to the basket, knowing they’re not going to call a charge.

Timme is not like Hansbrough. At all. Plus he's a true sophomore. Barring injuries, he will make bank in the NBA due to his size and skillset.

It's hard not to root for Gonzaga given that Timme is a local boy who went to our feeder HS, but the wife is a Baylor Bear, and their basketball history prior to Drew was worse than Wake's, so sic 'em Bears.

Back