• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is inside scoop on bball pause?

Heard from someone on campus that the team is quarantined in Graylyn and the Best Western on University. All staying in separate rooms and each of them eating alone. Doesn't sound great for any games in the near future.

That is an odd split. I'd want Graylyn

That is an odd split. I'd want Graylyn

The Best Western and. Graylyn were used to quarantine students all semester and at one point they both hit capacity when covid was out of control on campus and they sent kids to the Hawthorne downtown as well. I hope the program gets back on its feet before the start of ACC play, but I'm not really sure how realistic that is with the protocols. If we're able to schedule one more non conference game to make up for the three we've now missed between Bama State, the D3 school and Troy we should look into scheduling Elon since they also are on pause right now and missing games.

Last edited:
Thank you, man damn. I don't get bothered by the double-N or "er" or one-L but when somebody goes "Conner O'Neal" I start wondering if you're talking about a long lost cousin of Shaq.

To address the OP: Forbes told us yesterday before the shutdown news that he wished they'd played three games last week (as originally scheduled) and that they were trying to add a game for Sunday, reportedly (on here) against D-II Catawba. Despite the 2-0 start, Forbes made it seem like he's pretty bothered by a lot of the things they did in both games last week (rebounding chief concern, defensive breakdowns, ball movement). You get the sense the only way to fix a lot of the issues is to play games -- which they now obviously can't do.

So throw all that together, it seems like they'll be pretty desperate to get at least 2 games in before the UVA game -- as long as the medical experts clear it.

Conor: Apologize for the misspelling. I just wasn’t paying proper attention. Going off memory which at my age is dangerous.
Anyway thank you for the insight. I hope we can get back in the gym soon. Just wondering what the latest inside scoop is.

An aside: does anyone recall Dwight Durante the 5’8” star for Catawba in the 60s? He had 58 points in one game which was before the three point line. Too short for the NBA then but would have been signed in today’s NBA. Incredible to watch.

Extra game like situations and executions that don’t always occur in practice scenarios?

Yeah if there’s ever a year to play anyone just for the sake of live game action this is it.

WF is scheduled to play UVA on December 16. Seems most likely that will be WF's next game (although that game could be postponed too). That would be WF's 3rd game of the season.

Tonight, NC A&T is playing their 5th game (at Citadel), if they aren't forced to pause, by December 16, A&T will have played 9 games in 7 different cities. A bummer that WF hasn't been able to stay ahead of the virus.

This would be the year to revisit the Big 4 tourney.

This would be the year to revisit the Big 4 tourney.

Totally agree, the less travel the better and we need to start thinking outside the box. One thing nobody's thought of is the fact that officials (most don't wear masks) fly around the country from game to game exposed to dozens of players from different schools. If we could make it so that there is a minimum one week pause in a program for a positive test and schedule Friday/Sunday two game, four team invitationals in one location with one set of refs that could minimize risk for everybody involved. If the ACC did four of those tournament style weekends that is 8 safe conference games knocked out in a month, which seems like a big win during a pandemic.

At least one player is back on campus from the Graylyn and appears to be at the Shah complex

I grew up in Salisbury, about 5 blocks from Catawba. When I was at Campbell we used to play a home-and-home with Catawba. Durante was amazing. One game that was played in Buie's Creek was called by Lou Bello.

Last edited:
Just got email from Currie. Hoop games off thru UVA and 12/21 VMI is in jeopardy.

this doesn't make sense.

No, it doesn't. If the players were all put into isolation or quarantine four days ago, the last ones should be out by the 14th at the latest, presumably earlier than that. I heard from a friend on campus that at least one player is back on campus already from the Graylyn and was at the athletics building. Perhaps the ACC is playing it safe and giving Wake time to practice before returning to play.

Yes I have a question for Mr. O'nEal.

Conner, when do you think Wake basketball team will play basketball again??

Yes I have a question for Mr. O'nEal.

Conner, when do you think Wake basketball team will play basketball again??

Shit at this point ... I'm inclined to say Dec. 30 against Syracuse. Currie's press release in the form of a "From the Quad" doesn't make any secret with "the status of the VMI game on Monday, Dec. 21 is unclear at this time."

Why are they questioning games more than 14 days out? I’m confused as to what protocol would cancel a game that far out

Why are they questioning games more than 14 days out? I’m confused as to what protocol would cancel a game that far out

Tough to guess at this without getting Forbes and/or Currie on the record, but I'd imagine they want more than 2 days of practice before playing their first game in nearly a month.

Tough to guess at this without getting Forbes and/or Currie on the record, but I'd imagine they want more than 2 days of practice before playing their first game in nearly a month.

That seems like a reasonable guess. And it's not like we were preforming like a well oiled machine against Longwood.

Back