• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians are dropping their team name.

Guardians of what? The Cuyahoga river?

Stupid name.

Taken from the "Guardians of Transportation" statues on the Hope Memorial Bridge which is a distinctive city landmark

c9b1c7ddfa501f46efb2251120fcc692.jpg

So you think the native americans who were here when Europeans arrived were just gentle, peace-loving people who didn't displace earlier people using violence? Please show me the evidence for that. The history of humans is that when civilizations clash one wins and one loses. Both sides were murderous. You know that. Or you are a moron. So, liar or moron. Take your pick.

I miss ericstratton. Need more of him.

Cleveland - Guardians (of the Galaxy).

WFT - Squad (probably want to drop the suicide part). Or could WFT become the Washington Avengers.

Washington Squad
Washington Avengers
Washington Swamp Things

cool name. I'll be sure to purchase some neat guardians of the galaxy gear.

I don't think the name is too bad - it's weird because it's new.

But it definitely has a "sports movie where we couldn't afford the rights of a real team" feel to it a la the Washington Sentinels

Should have gone with Spiders. Guardians (of Traffic) just seems dumb.

little surprised Guardians was available given the GoG.

of interest to me (and maybe only me) @spiders Twitter account is private, was created in 2008, and has 9 followers

@Guardians Twitter account has 1.6 million followers or 60% more than the @Indians

That is a good question. How come there are few or no teams called the Anacondas or the Pythons? Pythons have nearly destroyed the everglades food chain single handedly in only 20 years. I guess there are the diamond backs, which are pretty bad ass. One thing about rattle snakes though, and I doubt most team naming consultants look this deep into it, is they are really all bluffing and bluster. The puffing up, the rattle, they are all false signals to try and scare and adversary away, attacking and biting an intruder is always an act of desperation and their last resort. They are actually relatively unaggressive snakes as snakes go.

Their bluffing works on me. I hate snakes. And moccasins are the worst animal on the planet.

I get wanting to change the name Redskins, especially considering the name could have referred to a practice of presenting a Native American scalp for a bounty. But what is the feeling about the more generic name like Indians or Braves? My other alma mater, W&M, changed from the Tribe to the Griffins a few years back. (Great, a fictional animal, as if we weren't thought of as nerds already.) And is that different from college mascots that are specific tribes, like the Seminoles, Chippewas, Illini and Utes? It seems like the generic name is more controversial than the specific tribal name.

Guardians is an odd choice given the deep well of inspiration available with Rock-n-Roll. There's the obvious Rockers, Rollers, Comets (Bill Haley and the Comets - built in timeless theme song along with "Cleveland Rocks" - first band elected in RRHOF with Coasters), Rocket 88 is first RR song (so Rockets or 88's) about a car no less, which plays locally. Seems like they disregarded 20 better names for a ham fisted one that is tied to the city and cannot be interpreted as offensive. Reminds me of the WF logo "inspired by" our wrought iron railing. Some marketing firm took a walk, made an observation, and billed 6 figures. It's like they liked Guardians because it ends in "-dians" like their previous logo.

I agree with IamThunderbolt that the name is like Sentinels. Mascots need to be aggressive, not defensive in nature.

Can't wait until they play LAA, and it will be the Guardian Angels game.

Guardians is an odd choice given the deep well of inspiration available with Rock-n-Roll. There's the obvious Rockers, Rollers, Comets (Bill Haley and the Comets - built in timeless theme song along with "Cleveland Rocks" - first band elected in RRHOF with Coasters), Rocket 88 is first RR song (so Rockets or 88's) about a car no less, which plays locally. Seems like they disregarded 20 better names for a ham fisted one that is tied to the city and cannot be interpreted as offensive. Reminds me of the WF logo "inspired by" our wrought iron railing. Some marketing firm took a walk, made an observation, and billed 6 figures. It's like they liked Guardians because it ends in "-dians" like their previous logo.

I agree with IamThunderbolt that the name is like Sentinels. Mascots need to be aggressive, not defensive in nature.

Have you heard that there’s an MLB team named the Rockies ?

Taken from the "Guardians of Transportation" statues on the Hope Memorial Bridge which is a distinctive city landmark

c9b1c7ddfa501f46efb2251120fcc692.jpg

OK, so the genesis of the name makes sense then, but still a dumb name. Though, honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of any names in the last 30 years that have been good.

Diamondbacks - good
Marlins - dumb
Devil Rays - I guess it's better than a marlin?
Rockies - dumb
Heat - dumb
Thunder - dumb
Kraken - good
Lightning - ok
Magic - dumb
Hornets - mostly dumb
Pelicans - dumb
Jaguars - dumb because there aren't jaguars in Jacksonville
Panthers - good name, ugliest uniforms in the NFL

OK, so the genesis of the name makes sense then, but still a dumb name. Though, honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of any names in the last 30 years that have been good.

Diamondbacks - good
Marlins - dumb
Devil Rays - I guess it's better than a marlin?
Rockies - dumb
Heat - dumb
Thunder - dumb
Kraken - good
Lightning - ok
Magic - dumb
Hornets - mostly dumb
Pelicans - dumb
Jaguars - dumb because there aren't jaguars in Jacksonville
Panthers - good name, ugliest uniforms in the NFL

So you like the Panthers despite really not much of a connection in origin to the Carolinas, but you dislike the following:

Thunder - Oklahoma is known for strong thunderstorms across the plains
Marlins - Strong, dynamic fish for a coastal city
Rockies - It's Colorado
Magic - It's Orlando
Heat - It's Miami

Don't want to drop one controversial name for the lesser know controversial number 88. In white supremacist circles h is the eighth letter so they use it to reference hitler.

Yeah, feels like there were some missed music-related opportunities with the R&R HOF. Guardians is just kinda safe and bland. But I think it'll grow on me.

Last edited:
So you like the Panthers despite really not much of a connection in origin to the Carolinas, but you dislike the following:

Thunder - Oklahoma is known for strong thunderstorms across the plains
Marlins - Strong, dynamic fish for a coastal city
Rockies - It's Colorado
Magic - It's Orlando
Heat - It's Miami

And they're all dumb names. There are tornadoes and methheads in Oklahoma too, but those would also be bad names, albeit for different reasons. Unfortunately, the pickings are slim for potential names there, and the Sooners already have the best and most unique to the state. Something related to Native Americans would be very appropriate, but obviously not in line with the current times.

I assumed there were panthers somewhere in the Carolinas. If there aren't, then it too is a dumb name. I guess you can get on me about like the Kraken too since it's not even a real thing, but it seems to fit Seattle and denotes something big, scary, fierce, etc...

Don't want to drop one controversial name for the lesser know controversial number 88. In white supremacist circles h is the eighth letter so they use it to reference hitler.

I knew there was something wrong with Michael Irvin. But thanks for the knowledge - did not know that.

Back