• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you use an extreme edge case and claim it delegitimizes a movement, it just sounds like you are looking for a reason to delegitimization that movement.

There will and should always be edge cases like this. They don’t generally gain traction more broadly. But they still serve a role.

I used that example because it’s from this week.

diapers are expensive

We got so many different brands of diapers from the baby shower that we were able to do a thorough comparison and we found that the Target store brand diapers were the best value and quality for us. Super absorbent, wetness indicator stripe, and the velcro stickers don’t tear off

I feel like Gary is also dead. Ever seen a baby Gary? “Oh look at baby Gary, he’s so cute.” Don’t think so.

That’s a good way to put it.

So it's Open Enrollment during a Pandemic and hospitals are full in my area now. I'm on HMO. Should I go PPO so I can go to like any hospital that's open if I get it?

Working remotely today because of ice. Zoom iep meeting about a kid failing numerous classes. Me, principal, school nurse, guidance counselor, math teacher, tech teacher, and civics teacher. Sitting on the bed because two insane children in the other room with mom. On the camera, I notice a bright, blue cylindrical object on the headboard above my right shoulder. Apparently, my lovely wife neglected to place her special friend back into the medicine cabinet after last night's pre-ice storm marital festivities. This was 15 minutes into the meeting. Awesome.

i can't get this out of my multiquote. maybe it goes away if i post it? Anyway congrats on last week's orgasm

Shia LaBaouf is alleged to have physically and mentally abused his former girlfriends. I assume he's probably guilty of the allegations. Many people responding to these allegations are saying that Shia shouldn't be able to work or act in film again. Where does that logic come from? Isn't it our legal and justice systems roll to serve justice and "punish" abusers like him? After he serves whatever sentence and is charged whatever restitution, why shouldn't he be allowed to work in his chosen profession? Currently a progressive movement in our society is to "ban the box", such that former convicts are not forced to admit their criminal history on a job application. Yet at the same time as our anti-carceral movement, we demand that Arbys fire high schoolers who post racist things on facebook. It all seems rather arbitrary and random. Who decides which jobs are acceptable for criminals and abusers, and which aren't, and if we aren't making that decision democratically, isn't is just mob rule?

Yeah, the need to CANCEL anyone who steps out of line is often way over the top. Good post, especially regarding local people. Shia has a higher profile, and one of the costs of that is....your missteps have a higher profile. But the local 17 year old who says something stupid doesn't need his life ruined over it. We all said dumb shit in high school, college, etc. The internet's memory is a lot longer though. If you think of your high school idols, chances are that they did some dumb shit but the internet wasn't there to alert the whole world and hold it over their head forever. And now, ordinary dumbasses like Central Park Karen will forever be immortalized, and one of the worst moments of her life forever available for anyone to watch.

I wish people put as much energy into promoting the things they do like and want to support, instead of throwing all energy behind the cancel culture.

It's one thing to learn less-than-savory news about someone after the fact and go, "yikes. there's a sordid story here I didn't know about... this changes my view of their art and how I feel about it. Let's make sure the other side of the story gets as much attention as it deserves" It's another to say "THEY WERE A TERRIBLE PERSON AND WE MUST BURN EVERYTHING THEY TOUCHED." That doesn't seem realistic, either.

I'm not saying this all specifically about Shia... this is applicable to pretty much everything. Thanksgiving isn't the hunky-dory pilgrim/indian event we all learned about in school? Good to know! Let's raise up the indigenous voices and stories and stop making culture-appropriating costumes out of paper bags. We don't have to kill Thanksgiving as a holiday, though. Our founding fathers were largely racist assholes? Are we really surprised, given the times? Really? Ok, either way... we can still appreciate where we are today, and make more effort to raise the voices and stories of everything else that was going on at that time AND ALSO recognize how those narratives shaped where we are today so we can start making the necessary societal/systemic changes.

We learn all about other countries and how they grow and change over the ages and when it comes time to be introspective, we collectively get all NIMBY about it and push the status quo. Trying to have reasonable conversation is exhausting.

...not sure where/why this ramble came out. Shia sounds like a scumbag if allegations are true.

LEEBS!!!! a) this is a great comment; b) Please be back more!

We gave our boy a common and affable first name because with my last name he’s going to have to develop a personality quickly. That being said it should help him when he’s get older.

Hell I got hired to run an online retail website with zero experience and had an office on the lake, all because of my personality and name. So I wanted to make sure his first/last name combo was similarly enjoyable. You’re welcome son.

When you use an extreme edge case and claim it delegitimizes a movement, it just sounds like you are looking for a reason to delegitimization that movement.

There will and should always be edge cases like this. They don’t generally gain traction more broadly. But they still serve a role.

That sounds like an argument that you'd rail hard against if it came from those with a more conservative bent.

More broadly, what I find annoying is that the media plays up these edge cases. I understand why they do it... It is a sort of clickbait and they are in the business of making money above all else. But if feels like it drives a wedge between people and fuels outrage.

Agree with your point that giving context about past figures can help people gain a more nuanced view of both historical and contemporary issues. That's unquestionably a good thing.

And because I generally try to avoid political discussion of any kind, especially on the boards, here is a picture of a puppy in a cup:

236742-1600x1030-cutest-puppy-videos.jpg

We gave our boy a common and affable first name because with my last name he’s going to have to develop a personality quickly. That being said it should help him when he’s get older.

Hell I got hired to run an online retail website with zero experience and had an office on the lake, all because of my personality and name. So I wanted to make sure his first/last name combo was similarly enjoyable. You’re welcome son.

So you named him Storm ?

I used that example because it’s from this week.

Nobody in history should be held up as a some sort of perfect deity. As historians and teachers its our job to present all the evidence and let our children draw their own conclusions. Now Lincoln is a G and was our best president alongside FDR, but if my students decide to hold his anti-abolition statements and actions against him then that is totally reasonable.

??? Weird its actually Dr Jill Brasky.

Oh man I meant to comment on this - I've dabbled with the idea of getting my doctorate in education (but I really don't want to have to call parents all day like principals have to do) but if I do you better farking believe that I will change my username to Dr. Brasky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back