• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not salty. Placing the blame on any one individual for an action in or period of American history is less than honest though. Demonize Jackson, Hitler, and the Coach K all you want, but realize that they exist in a culture that allows them to do the things they do and that many lionized them for it.

Facts are now placing blame. What snowflakes 45 year old white men are.

Jesus man. I didn't say they needed defending. I used Hitler as an example. I said there's a broader world these people are operating in than their worst historical accomplisments. That's not defending someone, it's contextualizing it.

And nobody has disagreed with that. That's the whole point of providing primary documents and sources from a variety of POVs, which is the way I teach my class and where social studies education is headed.

I've been surprised about my daughter's 1st grade social studies class and how they've talked about certain historical figures. I was surprised she even knew who Andrew Jackson was (they weirdly focused on all of the personal tragedy in his life) and I enjoyed all of the things she learned about Teddy Roosevelt (who, love him or hate him, was an interesting dude).

Teddy Roosevelt is the GOAT of Americans.

Teddy did some good, did some bad. Definitely had a hero complex and bought too much into "white man's burden" but on the whole he was alright. I don't really believe in heroes but its Lincoln and FDR for me. LBJ was an asshole who has Vietnam problems, but his leadership on Civil Rights after JFK's assassination is extremely commendable.

1a. Lincoln
1b. FDR
3. LBJ

Biff - Jackson openly defied a Supreme Court ruling and initiated a genocide. You do realize that, right? We're allowed to vilify that.

Of course you are.

And how did the ensuing impeachment go ?

you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the snowflake

Jesus man. I didn't say they needed defending. I used Hitler as an example. I said there's a broader world these people are operating in than their worst historical accomplisments. That's not defending someone, it's contextualizing it.

This seems like a strange hill to die on. However, it does appear that a lot of the villifiers, so to speak, would also be moral subjectivists, which could be construed to be a bit inconsistent.

I have the maturity of a 5 year old.

One of our analysts published a report a few minutes ago highlighting "seasonal shits" in the business and I can't stop giggling about it.

but we already know about their non-terrible accomplishments

I have the maturity of a 5 year old.

One of our analysts published a report a few minutes ago highlighting "seasonal shits" in the business and I can't stop giggling about it.

I was on a Teams call 15 minutes ago with video where a woman meant to say "part" and she said "fart", realized it and then followed quickly with "part" -- so she said "fart part", and I can't believe I held it together.

Hey guys, I'm getting pretty fucking worried about runaway inflation.

You guys know that I'm involved in construction, and my lumber guy just told me that I need to get lumber this month because their reorder is coming up and lumber prices are set to skyrocket (double or triple). Lumber is already about 3-5x what it cost 2 years ago.

This is all anecdote, but I'm hearing reports of some fucking insane localized inflation in some of the cities.

Anyone else got a recent experience like this?

thanks for selling me your silver stash. My brother still has it. You can get it back for one million dollars.

Damnit, just accidentally bought a pair of fake yeezys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back