• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Duke's Mayo Bowl vs. Wisconsin Thread

We’ve played two more games than Wisconsin and they’ve averaged 11 points a game in their three December games.

Love Dave Clawson as our coach. The positives he brings to the program far outweigh the negatives. However, the total lack of imagination with Hinton last year was beyond a head-scratcher. Even if he never threw a pass, certain formations could have been used to keep a defense on its toes. That one I will never understand.

i don’t know much about football, but i suspect that adding plays like this are a lot more effort than they seem to us. one of the priorities of our team is around not having penalties or making other bonehead plays, which probably requires more focus on the core offense instead of adding new wrinkles. more importantly, based on everything i’ve heard from clawson and co, i would assume that it’s a conscious decision they’ve weighed the pros and cons of.

the lack of creativity with hinton was definitely a bit illogical, but they probably didn’t expect him to be as productive as he was and by then it would have been too late to add that in without diverting focus / becoming a distraction. that’s one theory anyway.

After reading all the bowl predictions, I am not sure why we are even going to show up and play the game. Everyone predicts a big win for the Badgers. Not sure if it is driven by LOWF or Big Ten Hype. Hope we pull another big win, like we did over Texas A&M

We’ve played two more games than Wisconsin and they’ve averaged 11 points a game in their three December games.

This. People are clearly overestimating the Badgers this year. Defense is fine, but they have been horrid offensively. And, although it looks like Berger will be back, they may still be missing their best receivers, Pryor and Davis. If Pryor and Davis do play, that will be a problem for Wake. And I have to imagine the players are not too amped about this game given their expectations for the season.

This. People are clearly overestimating the Badgers this year. Defense is fine, but they have been horrid offensively. And, although it looks like Berger will be back, they may still be missing their best receivers, Pryor and Davis. If Pryor and Davis do play, that will be a problem for Wake. And I have to imagine the players are not too amped about this game given their expectations for the season.

Wake has to be mentally ready to play football in a way they were not for what became the last game in the regular season. If one team is jacked to play football and the other is not, the score could get lopsided.

Where I think the game will be won or lost is the Wisconsin O-line battle with Wake's D-line, particularly in the Wisconsin running game. Wisconsin has had some of those 15 play, 8 minute grind it out drives. That wears on the D-line.

Wake's offense can help get Wisconsin out of that mode by scoring TD's early. That would put Wisconsin in the mode of feeling like they would need to score more than three times, and can't just grind yards and clock.

Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz is the real deal.

Mertz probably would have started the season as the backup to Jack Coan, an effective two year starter.

But Coan broke a foot in fall practice and has not be able to play since. He has entered the transfer portal and I would predict any school taking him will be glad they did. He was a better running than Mertz.

It looked like Mertz developed the yips as the season wore on. But that might be attributed to the fact that his two top wide outs, Danny Davis and Kendric Pryor were hurt. Pryor in the Michigan game and Davis against Indiana. Neither returned. If they are healthy, I expect a marked improvement in the Badger passing game.

Groshek looks like their workhorse running back

Only because the three guys in front of him in the depth chart were out. Jalen Berger has been the best back, Nakia Watson is the most experienced and Isaac Guerendo the fastest.

Groshek, a high school quarterback, has been used mostly as a third down back. He was forced to carry the load against Minnesota due to the other guys being out.

If all are healthy (a big if), I suspect Watson would start and Berger will be given first and second down runs on the third or fourth series of the first half. Groshek will come in on passing downs.

Last edited:
Wisconsin DL average size is 6'5', 287 pounds. Wake offensive line average size is 6'4', 293 pounds

Wisconsin OL average size is 6'5", 306 pounds. Wake defensive line average size is 6'3', 270 pounds.

Wisconsin defensive line has taken some hits due to injuries. I believe I've read Garrett Rand is out for the game.

Is this the least excited we've been about a WFU bowl game? Thread is only 6 pages long, and only one Badger has come around here to talk...and they are giving good info.

No fans at the game is a buzz kill.

Wisconsin DL average size is 6'5', 287 pounds. Wake offensive line average size is 6'4', 293 pounds

Wisconsin OL average size is 6'5", 306 pounds. Wake defensive line average size is 6'3', 270 pounds.

These stats are part of the reason I think the Wake O-line can give Sam time to throw and open some holes for CBS.

They are also why I think Wisconsin may be able to do well with very old school "five yards and a cloud of dust" offense.

Is this the least excited we've been about a WFU bowl game? Thread is only 6 pages long, and only one Badger has come around here to talk...and they are giving good info.

It took me quite a while to get my registration through.

I hate this matchup as the defense will need to hold Wisky to 24 points or less for Wake to have a chance.

This is BY FAR the best defense Wake has seen all year outside of Clemson and I'm pessimistic the Wake DL and LB's can slow down (forget about stopping) the Wisky running game.

200w.webp

While the pandemic tempers enthusiasm in everything, this is about as good a bowl match up as WF has had in a long time (with the possible exception of Texas A&M). Wisconsin has been a Big 10 power over the last two decades. Last year, they played against Justin Herbert and Oregon in the Rose Bowl. They have played in a bowl game 26 of the last 28 years, and in recent years they have played in Rose Bowl (2020), Orange Bowl (2018) and Cotton Bowl (2017). Games like this continue to raise the profile of the program.

Michigan State played in the playoff four years before playing Wake in the Pinstripe Bowl last season.

True - But not sure how much the profile of the program will be raised if Wisky runs roughshod over us tomorrow on ESPN.

Would much rather face a lower tier B10 program (Maryland or Rutgers) with a better chance to win the game and light up the scoreboard.

And you raise the profile of the program by playing in bigger bowls, not by playing in the Belk/Mayo Bowl twice in four years or by playing teams in the process of replacing their coaches.

True - But not sure how much the profile of the program will be raised if Wisky runs roughshod over us tomorrow on ESPN.

Would much rather face a lower tier B10 program (Maryland or Rutgers) with a better chance to win the game and light up the scoreboard.

This is brutal LOWF thinking.

While the pandemic tempers enthusiasm in everything, this is about as good a bowl match up as WF has had in a long time (with the possible exception of Texas A&M). Wisconsin has been a Big 10 power over the last two decades. Last year, they played against Justin Herbert and Oregon in the Rose Bowl. They have played in a bowl game 26 of the last 28 years, and in recent years they have played in Rose Bowl (2020), Orange Bowl (2018) and Cotton Bowl (2017). Games like this continue to raise the profile of the program.

Just win baby!

Back