• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2022: Viel Glück für alle!

I have it on good authority that the new boards will have tags.

i watched citizen kane because of a film class at Wake. i enjoyed it but probably only because the class specifically discussed what made the movie great and groundbreaking.

I can appreciate the groundbreaking aspects of it, I just didn't like the story.

If anyone hasn't seen Once Upon a Time in the West, I couldn't recommend it more.

I've also never seen Chinatown and keep talking myself out of it because Polanski is a shit, but I should probably watch it

I also really dig Woody Allen movies, but stopped watching those for the same reason

I'm sure kory will follow up with some art-artists critical theory to set things straight

If anyone hasn't seen Once Upon a Time in the West, I couldn't recommend it more.

The opening scene at the train station is one of my favorite parts of any movie in history.

I didn't love Chinatown. Watched it within the last year or so and was kind of underwhelmed. But I know I'm defs in the minority there.

I didn't love Chinatown. Watched it within the last year or so and was kind of underwhelmed. But I know I'm defs in the minority there.

I agree with this take. Like lots of movies about LA, it’s sort of precious about itself and the city.

On the Waterfront. Vertigo, Treasure of Sierra Madre

Just for silly fun, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming and Dr. Strangelove.

it's set there, but is it precious about LA?

isn't the point of the movie that LA is a corrupt and gross city and Jake should write it off?

Last edited:
La La Land is the most LA-precious movie I've ever seen and it's also one of the worst movies I've ever watched

They Live is set in LA and about LA but it is absolutely not precious about LA

La La Land is the most LA-precious movie I've ever seen and it's also one of the worst movies I've ever watched

My eternal love for Ryan Gosling vehemently disagrees with this take.

Quick, top 5 Gosling movies. Go!

Gosling is trash in La La Land

I dig Lars and the Real Girl and Half Nelson, also like Drive well enough

it's set there, but is it precious about LA?

isn't the point of the movie that LA is a corrupt and gross city and Jake should write it off?

I think it's a reflection on trying to fight corruption in general with the water wars as a historical backdrop, but the antagonist who is a powerbroker in LA does some truly heinous shit so I don't know how shows any reverence of the city at all

Back