• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 2023: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know somebody that works at UT & he said that he was given the link to sign up as the vaccination site had a lot of leftovers every day & they just wanted to get the shots in arms but his appointment was cancelled.

my BIL's sisters and one's fiancee all live in Austin and got signed-up, guess this is how

why? if the rollout is so shitty and we all have to wait anyway, why not just have everyone get in the line now and start handing out unused vaccines on a regular basis?

I think there is still a case to be made to spend double effort to get to hard-to-reach vulnerable populations, at least in urban areas

the vaccine rollout is super fucking hard, so I guess I shouldn't speak in such absolutes, but I think there is still value for a few more weeks in trying to pursue equity in many places

From that link I posted, Pflugerville ISD is paying teachers to get the vaccine.

I’ve stopped into pharmacies every now in then at the end of the night seeing if they’ve got any leftovers but no luck so far. I’ve got my name “on a list” to call when they have extras. Whether that list is real or not, I doubt it.

My grandmother’s retirement community had a well planned distribution. Shots given at the assisted living facility in the community, each section of the community was assigned a day, and then the streets were given specific times. I believe they even sent the assisted living facility’s bus around to pick people up.

I haven't seen the data, but I've certainly heard plenty of anecdotes to the contrary.

Even if you anecdotes are an indication of a widespread issue, opening up the list to everyone in a free for all isn't going to solve the issue that at the end of the day a vaccine site will have at most 9 extra shots left over.

they really should mandate this shit, fuck asshole anti-vaxxers. like in Contagion you have to wear a bracelet that gets scanned to be allowed in anywhere. muh freedoms!

Even if you anecdotes are an indication of a widespread issue, opening up the list to everyone in a free for all isn't going to solve the issue that at the end of the day a vaccine site will have at most 9 extra shots left over.

i agree in the abstract, but we do seem to be very inefficient

Looks like I'll be able to get the first shot starting March 24 in NC (Group 4). Damn near anyone can place themselves into Group 4. i had been looking for a leftover dose either in NC or SC with no luck. Now that I'll be able to get it a couple of miles from my house in a few weeks, I'm not going to stress about it too much. Local Walgreens have plenty of appointments available for Group 3 right now.

inside of every man there are two wolves

I think there is still a case to be made to spend double effort to get to hard-to-reach vulnerable populations, at least in urban areas

the vaccine rollout is super fucking hard, so I guess I shouldn't speak in such absolutes, but I think there is still value for a few more weeks in trying to pursue equity in many places

Let the free market decide. Pay to play for the vaccine, proceeds go to saving the whales.

Phase 1B opening up in SC on Monday. 55 and up plus a whole bunch of frontline essential workers. Gonna be wide open.

They're gonna have enough vaccines for everyone in 4 months anyways. The admin time of trying to make it equitable is wasted now that hospitals aren't being overwhelmed.

I think you are going to see a dramatic drop off in the number of people that follow up and get their second shot when vaccination is open to everyone. There will be way too many anecdotes of getting absolutely rocked by the second shot. It’s why I don’t understand the J&J vaccine hesitation. That protects you against severe illness and death while also more likely not giving you severe illness symptoms when administered.

though I don't really care about jumping the line at this point, what would really chap my cheeks would be if bars aren't allowed to be open after I get the damn thing.

I’m happy to wait until May/June or whatever but really want my parents to get vaccinated. They are only 56 and 58 so just in the general population grouping with the rest of us.

I think you are going to see a dramatic drop off in the number of people that follow up and get their second shot when vaccination is open to everyone. There will be way too many anecdotes of getting absolutely rocked by the second shot. It’s why I don’t understand the J&J vaccine hesitation. That protects you against severe illness and death while also more likely not giving you severe illness symptoms when administered.

Calm down there, hoss. Second shot can put you on your butt, but describing them as "severe illness symptoms" is dumb. You're dumb.

though I don't really care about jumping the line at this point, what would really chap my cheeks would be if bars aren't allowed to be open after I get the damn thing.

Bars are already open bro.

But how long and how hard do you try to reach vulnerable populations ? There are millions of people who would get the vaccine at the drop of a hat. Yet, they're spending time and money trying to get "vulnerable populations" to get a vaccine that they just don't care to get. We've now spent months pushing vulnerable populations to the front of the line. Present the general population with an efficient and effective vaccine distribution program, one that would also be open to vulnerable populations, and whoever doesn't get it by July can easly get it the next time they go to the drug store or the doctor or the emergency room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back