• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '21-'22 Roster Construction Thread: +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Hildreth needs to sure up his jump shot, which I have complete faith he will, and he will be a valuable piece as a Freshman, IMO.

Most likely one player will miss 5+ games, another two or three will miss 2+ games, and another two or three will miss one game. That's just how it goes.

FWIW, between 2016 and 2017, WF jumped from #118 (2016 Deacs went 11-20 (2-16)) to #36 (2017 Deacs went 19-14(9-9)) and from a complete college hoop non-factor to the good side of the bubble. Granted that 2017 team had an NBA lottery pick and doesn't appear that there is anyone on next year's roster with that level of talent, but we do have a significant upgrade on the sidelines.

Still need to see what seniors/NBA draft eligible players return to other programs and how the transfers shake out across the country, but WF will be massively improved next year for all the talent additions/subtractions mentioned on this thread as well as a full year with the current staff without COVID interruptions and limitations. Right now, seems like bubble talk is little optimistic, but not a complete impossibility.

Hildreth needs to sure up his jump shot, which I have complete faith he will, and he will be a valuable piece as a Freshman, IMO.

Yeah I know these are highlight tapes, but he is just slicing through dudes to get to his spots or to the rim.

Monsanto also basically taking it to Alabama, is impressive. Sure they were 13-12, but WE took Williamson from them. He’s worth 3-5 wins in that league.

FWIW, between 2016 and 2017, WF jumped from #118 (2016 Deacs went 11-20 (2-16)) to #36 (2017 Deacs went 19-14(9-9)) and from a complete college hoop non-factor to the good side of the bubble. Granted that 2017 team had an NBA lottery pick and doesn't appear that there is anyone on next year's roster with that level of talent, but we do have a significant upgrade on the sidelines.

Still need to see what seniors/NBA draft eligible players return to other programs and how the transfers shake out across the country, but WF will be massively improved next year for all the talent additions/subtractions mentioned on this thread as well as a full year with the current staff without COVID interruptions and limitations. Right now, seems like bubble talk is little optimistic, but not a complete impossibility.

If there's any time for a little optimism it's in April at the end of a coach's first full season of recruiting. I don't know enough about Forbes or these new players to be negative. The stats and video on them look promising. LaRavia and Monsanto already showed significant production and have room to grow as players. Walton could give us exactly what he gave CU and it would be huge. Hildreth is raw but very promising. He'll be the most exciting freshman we've had since Collins. The team has good size overall. Obviously Forbes has been a winner everywhere he's gone. We haven't had a proven winner as coach since Prosser.

Nope. That's how KP calculates his participation percentages. Total number of minutes played by the player divided by total number of team minutes. It's not a novel concept as participation has to take into account both the player's minutes in games when he played and the games that he missed.

I mean, that's pretty disingenuous unless you're using KP utilization metrics across the board. We're arguing single game breakdowns of expected minute projections - you think it'd make sense to say Tariq averaged around 16 seconds per game last year and leave it at that?

Ah, 2016, when we started #59 in KenPom, promptly dropped 20 spots after our first three games, rebounded enough to give everyone some hope by beating Indiana and UCLA in that tournament, and then totally bombed the conference schedule, dropping to 143 overall before "rallying" to 118 by the end of the year. A true Danny Manning special.

I guess my hot take is that Mucius will get stronger under Forbes this offseason and be a problem at the 3 next season. I always thought he could be a really good ACC 3 if he ever put on some mass. This summer is the time to do it.

I hope Monsanto is better next year but I think it will take him some time to have shot-creating ability in the ACC.

I guess my hot take is that Mucius will get stronger under Forbes this offseason and be a problem at the 3 next season. I always thought he could be a really good ACC 3 if he ever put on some mass. This summer is the time to do it.

I hope Monsanto is better next year but I think it will take him some time to have shot-creating ability in the ACC.

Biggest thing that will help him make strides is not being forced to play the four and five positions on a regular basis. A little more mass would be helpful, but not required. Just being able to concentrate on skills at the three will be the biggest contributor to his improvement.

It's pretty crazy to think about how JC singlehandedly kept Manning at WF for multiple more years. Without JC transforming into an NBA lottery talent, that 2017 team would have been horrendous (lost Devin Thomas and CMM, only significant additions were Keyshawn Woods and freshman Brandon Childress). If John had not taken that massive jump I bet that WF finishes worse in 2017 than we did in 2016, but there was simply no way to lose too many games with how good John was that year.

It's hard to know for certain but I tend to think we would have been closer to 100 instead of 175 if not for all of the issues with covid. We obviously had some major talent issues but showed signs of progress over the first half of the ACC season. Coaching was better than the previous year but talent was much worse.

Coach Forbes knows exactly how to build a winning program. He won 30 games his last season at ETSU and they would have been even better this past year (keeping Williamson and Hodges while adding Monsanto and the Brewer brothers).

Considering all of the covid issues and guys playing out of position, along with hopefully a massive talent infusion, I think competing for the NCAA tournament is a reasonable expectation.

It's pretty crazy to think about how JC singlehandedly kept Manning at WF for multiple more years. Without JC transforming into an NBA lottery talent, that 2017 team would have been horrendous (lost Devin Thomas and CMM, only significant additions were Keyshawn Woods and freshman Brandon Childress). If John had not taken that massive jump I bet that WF finishes worse in 2017 than we did in 2016, but there was simply no way to lose too many games with how good John was that year.

JC2

Minnesota transfer target 7 foot center Liam Robbins selects Vandy.... Stackhouse has been able to bring the talent. Time for some wins.

I would be surprised if Williamson and Mucius didn’t start.

i would say they certainly have the pole position on day one. we'll see where the minutes end up at the end of the season. i think we'll see some surprises and at least one of the new guys will surprise. hot takes i know.

Back